Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

I think I bought a dealer destroyed boosted G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008 | 06:10 PM
at least he got some good news on saturday with this car =P

this car can get the bugs worked out of it i'm sure. more updates on tuesday or wednesday.

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
i would Part that turbo Kit out and bring your car back to stock at least you could get sum money back that you lost. Too many problems to fix that extra wasted $ and you don't really know the histroy of the car itself. M 2 peice..
we now know where the car came from and everything for certian i found most of that out on saturday. The OP can elaborate more if he wishes

Old 10-20-2008 | 10:07 AM
|
More to come Wednesday after the car is dissected by the experts I found out here in Alexandria. Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2008 | 11:26 PM
Interesting situation

Old 10-22-2008 | 09:54 AM
any updates from what i did last night? i know when i drove it around the block at part throttle it seemed much smoother. hopefully updates coming from the OP soon.

hooray for secret ninja ****

Old 10-22-2008 | 12:31 PM
Man just read this whole thing at work. I hope all works out man I now you are PO'd beond belief. Oh rhe coolant thing were you said the never cyled it sounds completly possiable considering no have not had top add any more..

Old 10-22-2008 | 12:57 PM
good luck on the car. turbo cars do require you to stay on top of everything but it's hard what the previous owner did.

Old 10-22-2008 | 03:26 PM
thats def a 1 off custom setup with the way the turbo/down pipe is oriented. Should be 100% identifiable by someone.

Old 10-22-2008 | 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by str8dum1
thats def a 1 off custom setup with the way the turbo/down pipe is oriented. Should be 100% identifiable by someone.
who cares who did it it just has to be fixed simple enough. You all are focusing on the wrong things. All i want to do is fix the car and make it totally streetable and fun (not like a factory G which is not fun and slow =D) Who worked on it, who tuned it, who ****ed with it, who put stock injectors back in it is not not relivent to the matter at hand. I know for a fact it was NOT an infiniti dealership who did it i am 100% sure of that. I know the history of the car everytime it has been to an infiniti dealership i have that information sitting in front of me. And that car did not run with that setup on it before it was sold, thats another thing i know for certian from a few things i have researched.

its not bad there are some thing i don't like about it but i'm in the process of fixing them little by little by dicking with the tune, i got it to run part throttle really well last night and only 1 more step with that. then it should run flawless, i will be making a new/better harness for the a/f ratio sensors once they get drilled/bung welded into where they are supposed to be, among other things little by little the car will get done and be good.

more updates to come saturday when i get a couple more minutes with the car.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:02 PM
|
Turbo itself is a Turbonetics with a 5 flange exhaust. Kinda odd; I've been told those are for trucks (fbpem1). Both tune shops I've been to (JEImport Performance and Function Tuned (thanks to the members for recommending) have said that they haven't seen this setup before. Especially with the relocation of the fan on the other side of the radiator so that the downpipe can go across the front. What's more impressive; it doesn't look like the engine was even removed for the installation. Such a tight space to work in for such a level of customization.

It actually feels smoother indeed. Pretty surprising based on the very small changes that were made. The hiccup in acceleration that used to come at about 2,800 and require significant more throttle to overcome now comes at about 2,580 and doesn't really stop the acceleration, it moves right over it automatically with no extra throttle required. This is of course as I said before, only if you are doing a gradual acceleration. Quick accelerations are handled marvelously by the car; as if it was tuned specifically for this purpose.

This small change also seems to have changed when the car starts to create boost. Now I'll be in 6th gear and if I am trying to maintain a speed of 80MPH, the small accelerations that are required from time to time bring the vacuum down to about 2.3 - 1.8. This is where the car starts to get a little confused. It feels a little jerky like it is trying to decide whether it is going to go fast or slow. When you push it in the the boost side of the gauge, it kicks in hard, almost like a shot of nitrous, and of course the car takes off.

I pushed it in to the boost side two or three times just so I could kinda learn how it was acting, at the end of the 3rd acceleration with constant boost, as I let of the throttle to coast down the exit ramp of the highway, the "check engine" light started to flash. By the time I reached the end of the ramp, the light had turned off.

To attain this reaction I believe "fbpem1" used the "Self Learn" feature on one of the dealer's computer tools. This seemed to smooth out the car's idle instantly. After that, the idle was manually upped to about 850.

Still no smokes or smells. Coolant has maintained it's current position at the "Max Fill" line; so it definitely must have just been low-empty. Oil (Motul Synthetic 5w-30) is a little low, but that is a subjective statement because I'm not sure how much the tune shop up in MD actually put in. Current dipstick reading is about 11mm low; which if only 5qts were put in, may be ok. If 5.3 were put in, that could be a bad sign since it's only been about 300 miles since the change.

Computer reads that the O2 sensors are failing 3 of the 4 SRTs. I don't recall which they are. As is, this alone would keep me from passing emissions.

Still no idea what is keeping the airbag light on. Initial efforts indicate that the entire system doesn't have power. Based on some wire harness relocations, there could be something that tapped in to that systems power supply. Additional poking around is required to pinpoint the problem.

Excuse me if I mis-identified any parts or tools used for the work done far. HUGE shout out to "fbpem1" for helping me out with this. He's working with a great team as well. Great source of knowledge and willingness to teach.

Feels like we're slowly getting this thing on track. As always, more to come.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=Infern0]Turbo itself is a Turbonetics with a 5 flange exhaust. Kinda odd; I've been told those are for trucks (fbpem1).QUOTE]

That was just a thought, i'm on the phone with a rep now that will help me figure out the a/r of the compressor and exhaust wheel based off the number i got off of the compressor housing.

Consult III is my tool of choice for any nissan/infiniti vehicle and i did a couple other things i'm not at will to mention at the moment aside from clear self learn and bump up the idle.

Air bag light will be checked out when i see the car again and yank the center console and pin test the module.

as far as the SRT any that don't know that is a System Readiness Test, which is required that a certian number of them be "ready" to pass obdII scanable emissions through the DLC. O2 sensor codes and i have a sneaking suspesion that its from the harness that was made for them and placement of them, since its a extremly senstive circut with voltage and cycling speed to much resistance in circut could/will cause them to fail in the manner that they did (basically they failed from being lazy)

Flashing check engine light would be from the P0300 which i believe i will have fixed next time i get a few minutes with the car as stated in my previous post. Otherwise the car has come a long way since the thread was first started and it has a bit more to go but definatly a huge improvement from even when i first saw the car last saturday and started in with it.