Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

TT and built motor project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok UPDATE:

I got the motor in, had to do it by myself but actually wasnt that hard. Have had a few small issues, but working through them. I always have to remember the phrase: Nothing is a simple bolt on, there is always a little fab involved.

Got the injector harnesses wired in last night and the cjm rails and regulator installed. Tonight I am gonna start some of the intercooler piping install, as I am waiting for a few more parts to come in to complete the top half of the motor.

This weekend I will be welding in the extra bung into the downpipe (it got left out in the fab process) and drilling and tapping the block for the return oil from the turbos. I am not excited about drilling and tapping the side of the block, but this is how SFR engineered it, so I am gonna do it exactly what they say to do, as they are the Pro's here. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will be 85% complete, with the remaining items of mounting the intercoolers, finishing the piping to the throttle body, installing the lower plenum spacer, mounting the Haltech and wiring it in, and finish up the boost controller, and installing the CJM twin in tank pumps and plumbing them. Then once I get it up and running, I'll put the nose clip back on and head to the shop for the new custom 3" exhaust.... then the fun part.... getting Hal down here to see what kind of magic he can perform.

In all, this has been a fairly basic install, but I am only getting a couple hours a night to work on it, so the process has been rather slow. I anticipate finishing and firing it up around the 2nd week in December. I'll try to take a few pics tonight and post them up to show progress.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 PM
^ yes, def post pics! thnx for the update

Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by niceguy
Ok UPDATE:

I got the motor in, had to do it by myself but actually wasnt that hard. Have had a few small issues, but working through them. I always have to remember the phrase: Nothing is a simple bolt on, there is always a little fab involved.

Got the injector harnesses wired in last night and the cjm rails and regulator installed. Tonight I am gonna start some of the intercooler piping install, as I am waiting for a few more parts to come in to complete the top half of the motor.

This weekend I will be welding in the extra bung into the downpipe (it got left out in the fab process) and drilling and tapping the block for the return oil from the turbos. I am not excited about drilling and tapping the side of the block, but this is how SFR engineered it, so I am gonna do it exactly what they say to do, as they are the Pro's here. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will be 85% complete, with the remaining items of mounting the intercoolers, finishing the piping to the throttle body, installing the lower plenum spacer, mounting the Haltech and wiring it in, and finish up the boost controller, and installing the CJM twin in tank pumps and plumbing them. Then once I get it up and running, I'll put the nose clip back on and head to the shop for the new custom 3" exhaust.... then the fun part.... getting Hal down here to see what kind of magic he can perform.

In all, this has been a fairly basic install, but I am only getting a couple hours a night to work on it, so the process has been rather slow. I anticipate finishing and firing it up around the 2nd week in December. I'll try to take a few pics tonight and post them up to show progress.

Looking good.We sent out the IM spacer plate so it should be there in a couple days.Just cxall me if you have any more questions about the install.At this point I know al the little secrets from installing so many systems over the last four years.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Tim.

I do have to say that Tim has been excellent with customer service. He always answers his phone and ALWAYS has an answer for any questions I have. Kudos to Tim and SFR. I cannot say enough how helpful he has been through this project. I just wish I had more time to dedicate to get this thing done.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Props for taking this on solo. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
+ 1 glad you are joining the ranks of self boosted

Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Ok guys... just got back from Cozumel and ready to get back to work. I'll snap some photos tomorrow of my progress so far.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Well guys, I am officially at a stopping point. I bought a built trans from a member on our sites and I believe I have a serious issue with it. I cannot get an answer at this point so I am not 100% sure what is wrong.

Basically, I went to hook up the linkage and it didnt reach. So I undid the rod from the shifter and hooked it up. Put the trans in park and the damn wheels still spin freely. WTF?

So does the computer control the locking of the trans in park? And if it does, why does my rod not match up with my shifter? Both cars are an 03, so what else could be different?

I am sick to my stomach thinking I may have to pull the trans right back out and I'm not even finished with the TT install. UUUGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 PM
got it fixed

Ok guys.... believe it or not I figured out the problem and was able to fix it. Here is a pic I took before I fixed it. If you notice the stud on the shift arm is not inside the plunger. I was able to take loose the plunger and get the stud back in the lunger seat and WHALAAA, the trans goes into park and works like it should. But I will say this, the trans showed up on my door like this, which tells me the previous owner must have had issues with it.

I sure hope the rest of the trans isn't messed up too.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Damnnn you're gooooood....much props and respect bro, keep up the good work and good luck

Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Ok, guys.... well I finished my project. But DAMN I have a leaking injector. Hope I didn't pinch an o-ring. Gonna pull the intake tomorrow and see if I can throw a quick fix on it.

Hopefully I can get a base tune either from Hal before Monday, so I can fire this thing off and drive it around a little breaking it in. I'll take some pics of the guage install and the Haltech mounting and such. The motor looks the same but I'll thro some shots in that for good luck!! LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Ok guys... it's been a while, but I got the car finished and built the exhaust and have been driving it around breaking it in. Hal will be down here on Friday doing the dyno tuning and I'll post the results when I get them.

Here is a finished pic of the car

And here is the custom exhaust I built here in the garage... I painted the tail pipes black because I think it hides them and the welds on the tubing would eventually rust and look horrible.

Hope the pics aren't too big, and if they are I apologize.

I do have to send big thanks out to everyone who helped me with this project:

SFR-Tim has some of the best customer service I have ever seen!! And their products rock too and I'll have the dyno sheet to prove it.
Injected Performance- Hal... what can I say that hasnt already been said? He is the REAL DEAL.
CJM- Charles was huge in the fuel system install, with both quick turn around and good service after the sale as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
good job

Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
good job, i wanna hear some sound clips.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 PM
I am going to the dyno Friday with Hal, and I will make sure I get some sound clips.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TT and built motor project