Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Stillen Supercharger Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Supercharger Experience

Attending Stillen's 350z/G35 day is always a treat. Got a poll position parking place at the dyno and posted a 247.20HP (80.99F, 30.01 in-Hg, STD 1.02, 3rd gear pull to 7100rpm)

As i mentioned in the SoCal Forum, after the trash was picked up, the banners taken down and the last balloon popped (next to airport so cannot release), Steve Millen handed DaveO the keys to their G35 AT Coupe with the CARB legal stage 2 supercharger (add'l $89 and 20 min changeout)

This is the same ride that posted a 332 on the dyno.

Stop rolling your eyes and read what I have to say.

Top end HP ain't always the **** folks. By the time the Vortechs and ATI are matching torque and HP, they are well into their 2nd (maybe 3rd gear) and hitting 5200 rpm.

The Stillen SC may require a fugly hood, but this baby is quiet! I mean QUIET at idle. It has a nice lear-jettish spin up and whine when engaged.

The torque at launch is phenomenal!! Sorry guys... i have yet to be in a SC or turbo that has match the kick this baby puts out in the low band. For a drag race, this Stillen will give you the hole shot and hand everyone their a$$#s.

Joy riding around costa mesa with Steve Millen little hot rod was just that... a true joy. I'd like to see that shootout between the various SCs... I think it will open some eyes.

So let it be heard now... I am committing to Stillen SC after that experience. That will be my FI of choice. HOWEVER... I will be having a custom hood made... sorry Stillen... that power hood's just gotta go.

Talk all you want, but in the end its only gonna matter at the Drag Strip.. .not the Dyno. I may not have that many grey hairs, but this butt has ridden a lot of detroit steel.. the Stillen SC brings back some fond memories of awesome launches.

Cheers, ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by GeoBau on 06/05/04 08:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Re: Stillen Supercharger Experience

Ted,

A small correction to your post. According to Steve Millen, the G35 AT Coupe we drove had the Stillen CARB legal Stage 2 Supercharger and their new AT valve body. The 350Z was a 6-speed Stage 3 car which is probably much stronger.

DaveO

2003 G35 AT Sedan / DP / Willow / Premium / Sport
350Z Air Duct, Eng Cvr & T-Stat / Stillen CAI / Crawford Plenum
GG 10-Wire Kit / TS ECM / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 06-05-2004, 11:25 PM

Hi, Ted,

Unfortunately, I didn't make it down to the Stillen event. I'm glad to hear some positivity about the Stillen SC, though. :-)

I know nothing about custom parts. How much are you expecting a custom hood to cost?

In any case, I am very interested to hear your experiences with the Stillen SC. What kind of timeframe are you expecting to get it in?

Thanks,
Carlin

Old 06-05-2004, 11:45 PM

Ted,
I'm glad you had such a blast! I went to the last Stillen demo day and found the people from Stillen to be very friendly.

DaveO,
Is the new AT valve body available now?

Thanks!

BLKSNAKE - '04 G35 Coupe
Check out my hidden sub! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2004, 11:52 PM

I was satisfied with my dyno.My car was the black Gcoupe stage 2.I ended with 296.68 whp & 268.12 tq.
Hey,why didn't any of those sponsored fancy cars get dynoed? I really wanted to see the silver coupe with the stage 3(headers & pulley) dyno but the coupe with the 100 shot of nitrous got the last run.

Dark Side Of The Moon

Old 06-06-2004, 12:32 AM

blksnake,

I tried to buy one of the two valve bodies they had on hand. But no luck! If I understand correctly it's going to be a core charge trade in deal and they're not quite ready. I should know more by the end of next week. I'll follow up when I know more.

weslutes,

IMO your car's dyno results were impressive. I'll take those big, broad torque numbers any day.

DaveO

2003 G35 AT Sedan / DP / Willow / Premium / Sport
350Z Air Duct, Eng Cvr & T-Stat / Stillen CAI / Crawford Plenum
GG 10-Wire Kit / TS ECM / E-Fans
Street Edge TC / B&M Cooler / Stillen Exhaust

Old 06-06-2004, 09:07 PM

the pretty cars don't like to sign the no-fault ka-blooey waiver [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

When i spoke with Steve Millen, he did say that the valve bodies were "in production", which means you should be able to get one. The problem is, the sales guys haven't been told that they are ready... most didn;t even expect to see them on the table yesterday! Anyway, I've been hearing around $550 for the unit,, but not sure if that is for a core, or if its for your unit to be reworked? See... too many ????'s, I'll be following up with Adam on Monday to get some answers.

Lastly, a production after-market FG hood runs around $500-$700 depending on who makes it, and what parts are included (hood pins, latches, etc....)

i would expect a one off custom to be upwards of twice that, unless I can get them to undersatnd that there will be a market for one... or get Stillen to carry it as an option.... I've got some work cut out for me in the next 5 - 6 months.

cheers,
-ted

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 06-08-2004, 04:11 AM

socalted:

You are correct in saying that the Stillen supercharger (or really any screwtype or roots blower) will give the G35 a definite advantage off the line over a G35 with a centrifugal supercharger. However, over a quarter mile (and even more so over a standing mile) the centrifugal will be faster. The reason is that the Stillen's peak torque is at a lower RPM than a centrifugal's.

Peak torque is the RPM where the car will accelerate the hardest. The engine will not accelerate as hard before it reaches peak torque, and it will lose steam after it reaches peak torque. This works exactly the same in all gears (peak torque is at the same RPM in all gears). If the engine reaches peak torque early, it will spend most of the RPM range decreasing power. If the peak torque is at a high RPM, the engine will continue to pull through most of the RPM range, allowing the car to take advantage of the gearing.

(torque * RPM) / 5252 = HP

Basically, the higher the RPM of peak torque the more HP the car has. Ceteris Paribus, the car with more HP will be faster.

Since the kits with centrifugal superchargers are producing more HP, they will be faster in the quarter mile. You are right, peak power isn't everything. Daily driving, you will spend more time in the lower RPMs, so you will probably feel more benefit from the Stillen kit during everyday driving. However, peak HP is everything when it comes to acceleration over a moderate distance. The Stillen car will be faster off the line, but the centrigual car will pass it by.

The Stillen kit does seem like a good kit for reliability and everyday usable power. The centrifugal kits will perform better on the track, where the car spends more time in the higher RPMs. I am trying to decide which I would rather have. I am leaning towards Stillen because I drive my car on the street everyday, but I only drive on the track at most once or twice a month. Besides, being CARB legal is nice too.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:38 PM
DED

I think a key point here is that ceteris paribus does not apply in real world comparisons.

RX8 has high Hp, little torque = little fun.
Celica GT, the same.

Depends on your definition of fun.

G has a long flat torque curve and pulls all the way, it does not fall off until about 5500rpm. There is no waiting until 7K rpm to get into the "zone".

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Solid midrange power can help on a road course too, not having to keep the car screaming all the time definitely has it's advantages, pulling out of corners, etc..

We have a Stillen stage 2 setup on an AT coupe here as well, I've been talking to Adam about some of the other modifications on a pretty frequent basis and I'm VERY interested in working with that car more once I have some more free time on my hands. Just too busy... but I can't complain. =)

Justin @
EverythingG35.com

Old 06-09-2004, 03:17 AM

I'm merely responding to this:

"Talk all you want, but in the end its only gonna matter at the Drag Strip.. .not the Dyno. I may not have that many grey hairs, but this butt has ridden a lot of detroit steel.. the Stillen SC brings back some fond memories of awesome launches."

As far as ceteris paribus goes, I am referring to comparing two cars of the same model with the same mods (other than supercharger kit). That is not too hard to duplicate in the real world.

Old 06-11-2004, 03:20 PM

Is there any way to bolt a Roots-type supercahrge in another location (other than on top of the engine)?

If it weren't for the need to mod the hood, people would be lining up for these things.

G35 6MT/DG/Fully Loaded
[i]HyperGround Kit
350Z intake duct
K&N drop-in
Aluminum pedals
50%-35% smoke tint

Old 06-11-2004, 06:29 PM

Last night I took my car tyo the track for the first time & did three runs.my best time was 8.830 in an 1/8 mile.the car launches fast but I messed up alot and ended with 2.105 on the 60'.I just need to work on my 60'.the stage three really pulls now.

Dark Side Of The Moon

Old 07-20-2004, 01:50 PM

anyone know how much clearnace you actually need on the hood to clear the Stillen SC?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2004, 09:34 PM

If anyone can host it (or tell me where some free hosting space is) I can upload a video of what the hood looks like on ... or I can post some picks, let me know ...

Colin

G35c 6MT - Pearl white, front / rear spoiler, 35% tint.
19" Racing Hart GT5, 245/35/19, 275/35/19
Stillen intake, s/charger, cat back exhaust (est. 400hp)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Supercharger Experience