Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

6MT Turbo??? Supercharger??? Maybe twin turb?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6MT Turbo??? Supercharger??? Maybe twin turb?

Sorry if this is a repeat thread but i couldnt find the answer to this question.

I jus got my G Coupe 6MT few months ago and i was considering either turbo or supercharger. Anyone have any idea which may be better for my car? So far i heard supercharger but i heard its bad on gas, and i heard turbos are good too but the boost jumps are bad for the motor. Overall, which would be the better investment for my ride?

I've been considering this for awhile and more so now than before because a guy I know who has a golf GTI turboed and has really been running his mouth. Ive beat a few brand new GTIs stock (i think) but im kinda leery if i can take him wit my G stock. I'm sure he'd get me on the pick up but on highway after a 3rd or 4th i THINK id catch up and fly by. What do you guys think? Or will that turbo jus eat me up? Should I even bother?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
You will beat him regardless. But if you just want to annihilate him and have long term reliability with forced induction then buy my stillen supercharger. I'll give you best price!! Check it out on the marketplace.https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-...n-catback.html

Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah you'll definitely beat a GTI, they come turbo anyway.. I raced an older version 1.8T with the boost at 14 PSI and it was like nothing for my stock auto G.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HomieG35

In the end, who cares if you can beat a GTi? Someone else will always be faster anyway.
+1 I don't worry about that too much. Doesn't mean I won't do it (race) someone. But if some one thinks their FAST and quick, I got my baby (2004 Cbr 600rr) that will Fvcken smoke'em.... They both fight for my attention hahaha
But in all, I have a 2nd gen Eclipse GST (turbo) and you gotta constantly check and make sure there are no air leaks make sure the BOV is cool and other small details. But the power that car has STOCK is great and worth it. Over all is great.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Vortech is great up into an extent. If you dont mind worrying about the bearings inside of it blowing out sometime in its function. Although it will provide more power than the stillen blower, the reliability of the kit is no where near the STILLENS. Stillen is a slap on and go with no tuning required and it will last a lifetime. Vortech is, piping gauges tuning etc. If you choose Vortech, then you might as well go with a single or twin turbo for more power. But why would you waste so much money on a twin kit, if your going to have stock internals? IMO, if your going to stay with stock internals go with either STILLEN or single turbo FTMFW

Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by speeddream
Vortech is great up into an extent. If you dont mind worrying about the bearings inside of it blowing out sometime in its function. Although it will provide more power than the stillen blower, the reliability of the kit is no where near the STILLENS. Stillen is a slap on and go with no tuning required and it will last a lifetime. Vortech is, piping gauges tuning etc. If you choose Vortech, then you might as well go with a single or twin turbo for more power. But why would you waste so much money on a twin kit, if your going to have stock internals? IMO, if your going to stay with stock internals go with either STILLEN or single turbo FTMFW
Stillen would the last on MY list you need a gey hood or a hole cut and it is VERY limited for power.
If you ever think you will want more than 400-450whp turbos would be better than a SC. Many have started with super chargers and end up selling them to buy turbos when they get serious about making power. I have never heard of anyone selling there turbo kit to buy a super charger.
If you will 100% with a stock block and 400whp a super charger may be the way to go. If you may want more power one day and have the budget go with a twin turbo kit. Everyone has there own opinion about what is better I have seen this thread a million times search go to the forced induction section on my350z.com there is more info on FI over there.

Prior to buying my twin turbo kit I planned on a vortech kit I ended up going with the JWT TT kit and I am glad I did go that route.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Yea so ive heard. I think I'm gonna go with the turbo, thanx. And id like to thank all those who ACTUALLy gave me the advice about the turbo and SC rather than tryin to teach me morals about racing the GTi lol.

But if i were to go with the turbo (for now, just a single) will i be able to install it with the stock block or will this have to be modded in any way? Remember i am new to this lol, and i would deff have it installed proffessionally. I'm just trying to price things out in my head, beyond simply purchasing the kit and install price.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HomieG35
I'm just saying people skate through life thinking they need this and that to prove to others then can do it. Any time you go FI on a stock VQ35DE block you are risking catastrophe and a whole lot of headaches, time, and money. If you want to turbo or supercharge your G then there are tons of people here to help you, but do it because you think you'll enjoy and you really want it and are ready to keep it up (as mentioned above) or face the consequences.

Don't do it to prove a point or 1-up someone. That's how people end up living beyond their means and going into debt... all because someone else you know or a neighbor gets something so you want to get it also or to show them you can keep up when I doubt they even care (if they do then you're just in a never ending cycle).

So good luck on your decision! I just don't want you to half-*** your car, go try to race a GTi that probably no one else could care about, and blow your **** up... now you have a non-running car and a 3-5K bill for a new engine, install, etc.
Well said.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what other mods have you done to your car?

If you just want to beat a GTi you don't need either.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Right now i dont have any performance mods, but i have been looking into them. I just ordered minor things like the Ztube and pop charger. I'm tryin to get an idea of everything i'd need so i can build my way up ya know. I dont want to go too crazy like rebulding my entire motor tho. But i want something more to give it that edge.

Also, dont get me wrong, my main goal in life isnt to be this GTi lol. It was just something that was in the back of my head that i was a lil iffy about once i saw it. I hadnt raced it yet but i saw the car briefly in action and it picked up from first 3 gears pretty quick wit the aftermarket turbo. I jus wasnt sure if it was something i should be worried about .

Old 05-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by draco1020x
Sorry if this is a repeat thread but i couldnt find the answer to this question.
I doubt that. Try searching our forums via the search feature. There are countless threads that have asked the same question.

FYI: Here's an informative one that has been sticky'd: https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-...ion-noobs.html

Again, I recommend you do a ton of research before you even think of going F.I. And by a ton I mean weeks (if not months) of non-stop research. I've been here for many years and I still feel like there's so much more I need to know. Forced induction is not a basic modification that you can gamble with.

Best of luck. F.I is a nice investment if done properly. It can be a heaven or hell depending on how it's done.