Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

JWT Twin Intercooler Dimensions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009 | 05:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
This year I plann on keeping my JWT intercoolers due to budget. Next year i think I will do the Greddy or custom twin spearcos.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of power were you limited to with the JWT intercoolers. I have spoke with Sharif and XKR a bit about it. They said 550whp at 19psi Sharif also said they will heat soak very quick at that point( i think that was on the 700bb) your right the psi might be lower due to the additional air volume the 850bbs will push. I just wondered if you mind sharing that with me. PM or post here thanks.
Without doing the after dyno yet. I can tell you the at technosquare they use a superflow dyno. Uncorrected it is much like a dd, corrected it does a dynojetish number. At 16psi we made 540 or something this corrects to around 590 using the superflow conversion. I run a agency power blow off valve, set to 50/50 atmosphere/recirc. The harder you drive the more air is released to atmosphere. Immediately after doing the ic change the blow off is louder and the afr went leaner. Totally unscientific I know. Will be able to get on the dyno next week, I snapped my axle at the drag strip a few weeks ago so its been chillin, might fix it tomorrow. Trapped 117mph though. Hahahah, I weighed in at 4520 pre widebody full interior on 22s. Kinda scared to go weigh it again.

The greddy core is very efficient though. After some driving I can put my hands on the inlet pipes and feel the warmth/heat. Putting my hands on the outlet endtank and pip it is cool to the touch so it works well. I read up a lot on the different ic before choosing what to do. The aps makes a lot of sense flow wise, but thei read some info in vertical cores. While being the shorter path and least resistant, the charged air also spends less time in the intercooler exchanging heat. With the greddy design minus the turns to get to the inlet the whole core is utilized really well.

Its hella taller than the jwt for sure, so much is covered up with the kuruma opening.

Old 06-11-2009 | 09:21 PM
Yeah if you are going to make more than 600whp you are better off changing out the IC.

Old 06-11-2009 | 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by rookie
Without doing the after dyno yet. I can tell you the at technosquare they use a superflow dyno. Uncorrected it is much like a dd, corrected it does a dynojetish number. At 16psi we made 540 or something this corrects to around 590 using the superflow conversion. I run a agency power blow off valve, set to 50/50 atmosphere/recirc. The harder you drive the more air is released to atmosphere. Immediately after doing the ic change the blow off is louder and the afr went leaner. Totally unscientific I know. Will be able to get on the dyno next week, I snapped my axle at the drag strip a few weeks ago so its been chillin, might fix it tomorrow. Trapped 117mph though. Hahahah, I weighed in at 4520 pre widebody full interior on 22s. Kinda scared to go weigh it again.

The greddy core is very efficient though. After some driving I can put my hands on the inlet pipes and feel the warmth/heat. Putting my hands on the outlet endtank and pip it is cool to the touch so it works well. I read up a lot on the different ic before choosing what to do. The aps makes a lot of sense flow wise, but thei read some info in vertical cores. While being the shorter path and least resistant, the charged air also spends less time in the intercooler exchanging heat. With the greddy design minus the turns to get to the inlet the whole core is utilized really well.

Its hella taller than the jwt for sure, so much is covered up with the kuruma opening.
Thanks thats what i wanted to know this year i wanted around 550-600whp then maybe next year swap intercoolers and go bigger. I have the Nismo style bumper so I kind of want to stay with a twin set up but I might end up with the Greddy that seems to be what all of the 850bb guys run. Thanks for the help

Old 06-12-2009 | 05:11 PM
Interesting that the GTM cooler is sized as follows :

GTM 3.5 x 13 x 24 Bar and Plate Core Intercooler Rated 1000hp. Total volume = 1092 cubic inches.

Looks like the twin JWT would be 3.5 x 12 x 18 (stacked) for the cores themselves and is also a bar and plate design with a total volume of 756 cubic inches. I have heard from multiple sources that this is rated for 600 whp.

The Greddy is larger by a good bit but is a tube and fin design (which I thought was better suited for larger cores, so...).

Last edited by rcdash; 06-19-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-12-2009 | 05:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Premier Member
Go to Garrett's site and see what the JWT cores are rated for. They are good cores, and will suffice for most power levels. Just trying to get the most power at the least amount of boost some areas of any turbo system, can for sure be improved.

Old 06-13-2009 | 10:27 PM
Thanks for the reference - here is the direct link for those interested.

Looks like the JWT cores are good for about 700 chp or about 600 whp max.

The GTM core should be good for 1000 chp according to that same catalog.

Of course there is always METH to help out!

Last edited by rcdash; 06-19-2009 at 09:14 AM.