Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

My TT Install / Engine Bay Modification Journal :D -Input Welcomed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Radiator and Clutch and Flywheel got delivered yesterday. Pix on post3.

Oh yea another question I have is about two things under the hood that I don't really understand too well yet.

Spark Plugs - What's the deal with the whole "one step colder" plugs.. what does that mean and do I need them?

Thermostat - what's the deal with the nismo thermostat I hear people talking about? does it just make the fans kick in sooner or what does it control / do ?

Last edited by visibiliti; 08-06-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:33 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Thermostat will open at lower tempature for instance the factory thermostat will open around 180 the nismo would open around 160.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
That looks like a great project!

I just have one point - reconsider braided coolant lines... They look great when they are first installed, but after a year or two when the braid starts to tarnish, they look like crap. Some nice Samco hoses will last forever and you can just clean them when necessary. My 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by sliderg35
braided coolant lines... They look great when they are first installed, but after a year or two when the braid starts to tarnish, they look like crap.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any upkeep I can do to keep the stainless ones looking new and prevent tarnishing?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Thermostat will open at lower tempature for instance the factory thermostat will open around 180 the nismo would open around 160.
Ok so this is something I wouldn't worry about getting until after I have my setup running and see how my temp's are going, right?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by visibiliti
Ok so this is something I wouldn't worry about getting until after I have my setup running and see how my temp's are going, right?

You likely wont "NEED" the nismo T-stat for your goals my old set up was a JWT 530 kit with 420whp and I ran a stock rad and stock T-stat. That being said running a little cooler might not be a bad thing, although that PWR rad will help alot, on the hiway my temp drops right down to above the C (I do have the Nismo T-stat now) if its in the budget i would say get one but if not and you notice it runs hot get one later, now would be a good time since the cooling system is drained already.

PS with the PWR rad and JWT piping you will have to mod the fan shroud and it still may touch the piping.

I don't have good pics right now but the flat black plastic part will have to be removed, I dremmled mine off.

And the where the two turbo feed pipes join on the passenger side is messed up. You might be able to set the pipe that feeds the turbo up a little higher to avoid this, I am planning custom piping so I didn't fvck with it alot.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 PM
^ SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick! That all looks great!

Those pictures will be very useful for me in the near future... very good info... thanks a ton! Can you specify a little more about the piping on the passenger side? Are you referring to issues caused there also from the thicker PWR?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sylvan Lake V35, what offsets are you running on your wheels?

Last edited by TTG35forT; 08-07-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 AM
^ SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick! That all looks great!

Those pictures will be very useful for me in the near future... very good info... thanks a ton! Can you specify a little more about the piping on the passenger side? Are you referring to issues caused there also from the thicker PWR?
Thank you I have put alot of hours into I appreciate the positive feed back. If you look at the pipe just on the left side of centre in the front you can see it is pushed up at the coupler, that is because the pipe hits on the fan shroud due to the PWR rad. Also if you look at your fans right now there is a flat piece that runns across the top I had to cut it completely off because it interfeared with the piping, you will know as soon as you try to put the pipes on.
If you run into any trouble with the installs pm me. I just finished mine up so it is fresh in my memory.

Originally Posted by TTG35forT
Sylvan Lake V35, what offsets are you running on your wheels?
I can't really remember it has been about 3 years since i got them, I had them wrote down but can't find the sheet. I am not being a "secret offset douche" I just can't 100% remember I think it was a high teens in the front and low teens (+13 rings a bell) in the back. If you are looking at getting new wheels soon pm me and I can pull the wheels off and measure them up for you. I honestly would go a little skinnier if I did it again maybe 10" front 11-11.5" rear the rear is super tight on the inner clearence. At -2.5deg camber the wheels rubbed holes in my shock boots, however I run -1.15deg camber now to help with traction but it kind of looks goofy the wheels are too straight up I might try -1.75 -2deg find a compramise.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 08-08-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any upkeep I can do to keep the stainless ones looking new and prevent tarnishing?
I don't think you can "prevent" tarnishing, you can just delay it and the bypass hose is hard to get to if you wanted to try to polish it from time to time. Polishing would be pretty messy and may cause visible degradation in the steel braid. This is just a situation that can easily be avoided by going with a decent silicone hose that would still look great. (see above)

Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
sylvan lake, your engine bay looks amazing.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Updates:

good: Got my Custom SxExCx polished power steering tank... pix bottom of post #3, page 1

bad: PWR radiator was damaged in shipping and is being sent back... which sucks because I picked up it for a good deal with only < 300 mi on it (like new condition) and now UPS went and Effed it up, ruining my find of a good deal...

Neutral: still trying to contact the guy i am trying to rent space from to do all my work

future: MD Dual Gamma Exhaust probably... debating on hoses and tubing now from above comments. working on figuring out nuts n bolts and that stuff too. because, (no offense to anyone here) but when I went to HIN pleasanton and saw some people with polishing TCs.. that had all the stock bolts in them... looked nasty... i need perfection from the get go

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
working on figuring out nuts n bolts and that stuff too. because, (no offense to anyone here) but when I went to HIN pleasanton and saw some people with polishing TCs.. that had all the stock bolts in them... looked nasty... i need perfection from the get go

not sure you can see them or not in my pictures but no OEM bolts used

Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
this is so sick visibiliti! when you get this done we are definitely going to be stoked to see you at meets.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
not sure you can see them or not in my pictures but no OEM bolts used
Ahh! excellent... many questions for you now.. haha.. PMed...

Originally Posted by h23sdominate
this is so sick visibiliti! when you get this done we are definitely going to be stoked to see you at meets.
Ohhhh yes! Can't let Rhino have all the fun with the eye blinding bay ehhhh?

UPDATE: more goodies arrived.... see pix post #3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My TT Install / Engine Bay Modification Journal :D -Input Welcomed