Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

My TT Install / Engine Bay Modification Journal :D -Input Welcomed

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My TT Install / Engine Bay Modification Journal :D -Input Welcomed

Greetings everyone!

This has been a long time in the planning, but as the <S>end</S> beginning of the end draws near, I thought it prudent to finally create a thread in order to get input and criticism from the educated community.

This thread will serve as sort of a timeline journal of my project, covering everything from deliveries, questions, installs, and of course, pictures! If you are looking for a complete thread beginning to end, TURN AROUND NOW!! This thread will most likely not come to an end until the end of August!

Background

The car is a LR 2003 G35 6MT Coupe. I have had it since July 2008. The original owner barely used the car, and when I purchased it last year it had 14,000 miles on the original engine. Kept in storage most of the time, it was a great find for me and the interior still smelled like new car

I didn't think I would mod it much () but with being fresh out of college and a job I couldn't help myself. I focused on appearance modifications first, and without going into too much detail I'll just list what I have done so far. The goal was to keep the car OEM looking and clean, but "better" than OEM.

It has: Kuruma Z Front, Impul Sides, Chargespeed Rear, Quad Projector Headlights, Tein 350Z S-Techs, PIAA Super Rozza 20x9 F, 20x10 R with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires and 15mm spacers all around, and that's about it. Spoilerless, of course. I love the clean lines of the G!

I also love doing all the work myself, as this is my first time really getting to mod a car. (Had no money as a student). I was very excited to get under the hood, despite the fact that a few months ago I knew NOTHING about how an engine even works! Anyways, I have done lots and lots of reading on these forums and others, and have learned so much. Back in March, I bought a used JWT TT kit, thinking I got a great deal and would be able to get boosted reliably on the cheap. While true, I then changed my mind and decided that I wanted to do much, much more than a "simple" TT install. It was gonna be alot more money but is something I am truly interested in, so I did more reading. I'm finally comfortable enough with what I have learned to finally start ordering the rest of my parts to do the install and mods I want to do in the engine bay. So, here we go:

It's All Inside

In this section I will list all the parts I plan on using for my install:

The Boost
JWT TT 530BB kit. Custom single FMIC setup should work and look great with my Kuruma Z bumper. I went with the JWT kit because I liked the fact that the kit was originally designed to keep the OEM drivability and feel of the car. Small, twin turbos are what I wanted. I am not going after a monster HP build.

The Brains
Originally, I had a UTEC. I spent hours upon hours reading about what EMS people used for their setups. I finally decided on what I wanted, and purchased a Haltech!

Intake
Cosworth Intake Manifold. 'Nuff said. This thing is sweet looking and it is what I always dreamed about sitting on the top of my engine. It's like the icing on the cake for me. Plus, since I would have had to pay to get a motordyne spacer, and then my lower plenum, upper plenum, and side of the spacer polished, it really didn't cost that much more in the end!

Exhaust
Undecided here. For now I have a set of test pipes. I am curious to see how things will go with just test pipes and stock exhaust unless anyone wants to share their personal experiences on this setup.

Cooling
Picked up a g35 PWR Radiator. woot!

Drivetrain
JWT Clutch and RPS Flywheel. Went with the RPS because it was heavier (18 vs 14 lbs) than the JWT lightweight flywheel which I had heard alot of people complain about being noisy.

Fuel
Upgraded to the Walbro 255 lph fuel pump. Also have larger injectors.

Monitoring
Stealth HKS CAMP2 setup on my OEM Nav Screen with boost, oil pressure, and temp gauges. Need to figure out what type of wideband to mount, still, and where to stealth mount it. Still need tv&nav2go to use my OEM nav screen.

Other Stuff
I still need to get an oil catch can of some sort. I was thinking a vertically oriented one and mounting it somewhere near my P/S tank.

I also want to get a strut bar. Doing some research atm. This can always come later though.

Goals
400RWHP (price is right rules)
"Stock" reliability and drivability - setup for the street.

Engine Appearance

In addition to the TT install, I plan on overhauling the inside of the G's engine bay. I've always admired old school hot rods and muscle cars with their huge, clean engine bays and a lonely motor sitting in the middle. It just looks so clean and awesome. To replicate this look under the hood of my G, my inspiration comes from some amazing engine bays I have seen on this site. Specifically; Rookie, k67p67, martyg35, caskyline, candlestickpark, sxexcx, zack, ... they all have amazing engine bays and I can only hope mine turns out as perfect as theirs.

Here is a list of modifications I want to do to achieve this look:
  • Polished Intake Manifold
  • Polished Throttle Body
  • Polished I/C Piping (maybe chromed)
  • Polished VTC Solenoids
  • Polished Timing Cover
  • Polished Radiator (should not have to worry about this w/ an aftermarket one)
  • Polished Strut Bar (or just get the ARC Ti )
  • Polished SxExCx PS Tank
  • Polished other tanks (hope sean makes some)
  • Painted Valve Covers
  • Oil and Radiator Caps (Nismo or ARC)
  • Black Silicone Couplers for all my piping (trashing the JWT blue ones)
  • Shiny new O rings for the couplers (the ones I got are beat)
  • Full wire tuck and re-sleeve (this should be bearable as long as I remain patient and document everything)
  • Braided coolant hoses (love the ones that the TWC crew have)
  • CF NRG Hood Dampers
  • RHD battery cover
  • Whatever new fittings / bolts I need to make things pretty
  • Remove all warning stickers and stuff and shave down that front black fiberglass composite piece
  • Weld in extraneous holes no longer used after wire tuck
  • Repaint engine bay LR after the fill ins, including the front piece. (leaving battery covers and windshield wiper area as is for the oem-black-plastic look.)
  • Do something to the underside of hood. Not sure what yet.

Lots of stuff to wrap my head around. Gonna take it a step at a time, though! I've been keeping this all in my head for a long time now so writing it down just helped a lot. Maybe I missed something? Let me know!

Updates

I will try to update the following reserved posts as things start happening. I will also list any questions I have throughout this ordeal in the questions post below, and would love any answers or input you can provide!

Last edited by visibiliti; 08-12-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Questions

<S>-Looking for clutch/flywheel suggestions. I don't want noise and want it to feel as close to stock as possible. Right now I am thinking an ACT clutch, and a flywheel not much lighter than OEM. Please advise!

-Radiators... probably going to buy a Koyorad slim from Forged unless I get other suggestions. thanks.</S>

-Which Motordyne Exhaust for my setup? Dual Gamma or TDX Gamma? ...Do they even make TDX Gamma or just TDX Shockwave)))? I def don't want the shockwave))) because that will be too loud. I was even originally considering the XYZ pipe w/ the motordyne VQ.

Last edited by visibiliti; 08-04-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Pics of Parts Coming In

Haltech... yes!

Booooom Cosworth!

Cosworth Intake and parts

A closer look inside and at the CF end cap

Ichiba V2 15mm spacers

PWR radiator

JWT Clutch

RPS Flywheel

SxExCx Custom Polished PS Tank (bling bling!)

HKS CAMP2 and Sensors! YESSSSSS!

Last edited by visibiliti; 08-11-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
reserved3

Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
reserved4

Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
reserved5

Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I cant wait for some updates

Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a fun build. Just a few questions...

What about fuel? Are you going to change the pump? Different injectors? I would assume so. I cannot remember all that is included with the JWT...does it include any of this?

In my build I am using a PWR radiator. Definetly great quality but a much thicker core than OEM. Also have you thought about an oil cooler? IMO you can never have enough cooling when going FI.

Are you going to run gauges?

Keep us posted and good luck!!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
awesome cant wait for pics

Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
What's the timeline here?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by silver g
Sounds like a fun build. Just a few questions...

What about fuel? Are you going to change the pump? Different injectors? I would assume so. I cannot remember all that is included with the JWT...does it include any of this?

In my build I am using a PWR radiator. Definetly great quality but a much thicker core than OEM. Also have you thought about an oil cooler? IMO you can never have enough cooling when going FI.

Are you going to run gauges?

Keep us posted and good luck!!
Great questions, and definitely stuff I forgot to mention. I will add it to my original post, thanks. Here are the answers though:

-Yea, I already purchased a Walbro 255 lph pump to install.
-JWT says you can use stock injectors but I did get upgraded ones. 550s or 600s (came with the kit from the original owner).
-I have thought about an oil cooler and definitely think it's a great idea. Thanks for reminding me

How do you like your PWR? Can you PM me some pictures of how it fits? Im just curious to get an idea of size, thickness, and where the hose fitting is located on top. Thanks

Originally Posted by tiguy99
What's the timeline here?
Timeline is roughly continue using July to finalize all parts, get them ordered and delivered. And then build starting August and hopefully finish by end of August!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 AM
go with the slim radiator, I have the R core and I had to hack up a bunch of **** to get my tt kit to fit the stock shrouds

Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Subscribed. Looking forward to watch this transformation unfold. Post up some "before" pics so we can see your starting point.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by visibiliti
Great questions, and definitely stuff I forgot to mention. I will add it to my original post, thanks. Here are the answers though:

-Yea, I already purchased a Walbro 255 lph pump to install.
-JWT says you can use stock injectors but I did get upgraded ones. 550s or 600s (came with the kit from the original owner).
-I have thought about an oil cooler and definitely think it's a great idea. Thanks for reminding me

How do you like your PWR? Can you PM me some pictures of how it fits? Im just curious to get an idea of size, thickness, and where the hose fitting is located on top. Thanks

Timeline is roughly continue using July to finalize all parts, get them ordered and delivered. And then build starting August and hopefully finish by end of August!
Like you my build is still in progress. The PWR is a direct replacement for stock and fits without any modification.

Now here is where the issues come...the charge pipes for my intercooler somewhat interefere with the stock fan shrouds. This will require either (like blackbird said) hacking up the fan shoruds, or running slim fans. I am not sure how the plumbing of the intercooler pipes work for the JWT kit, but I know it is a minor speed bump for the APS Extreme kit.

No pics installed yet, but here is a pic that shows the size of the core...I will update my build thread soon with installed pics.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
good to see another LR in da works for bost... check out my post..

https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-...0-hp-club.html

where abouts are u in WA i use to live in Bermerton and Bellingham.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My TT Install / Engine Bay Modification Journal :D -Input Welcomed