Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

More dynos - A/F charts - Info on my G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
More dynos - A/F charts - Info on my G

Check out: http://www.kptechnologies.net/dynos/dyno.htm for an update on my TS reflash, my newest dyno with a/f and the results of the compression test I did.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod
Procharged / Crawford / TS

Old 08-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: More dynos - A/F charts - Info on my G

Holy ****, dude. One of your cylinders is toast and the dynos you did a month ago clearly show problems above 5500 rpms.

Are you saying that you have been driving around for the last two months with an A/F ratio of nearly 14 (!!!!) at 6600 rpms? Who the hell tuned this car for you? Are they willing to reimburse you for blowing your engine? They actually ran the car to redline a 2nd time after seeing your A/F go to 14? That is freaking UNBELIEVABLE!!

Did you have TS take out timing as part of their reflash? Also, are you saying that your A/F ratio STILL gets nearly to 13 at redline?

--Steve

Old 08-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Banned

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Are you saying that you have been driving around for the last two months

<hr></blockquote>

I haven't taken the car above 5K for the past two months... TS was supposed to add fuel above 5500 but instead added fuel the entire band. I was supposed to send it back to them tomorrow but at this point in time I don't see the urgency... It will have to wait till next time I'm home (2 weeks). Also, remember that this car is a weekend car and its only had about 1,500 miles on it since the supercharger was put on and 'tuned.' I have a few people to talk to and a few things to clear up before I say any more on the matter...

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod

Old 09-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post, and I don't have a morbid curiosity for the hardships of others, but I had admired your mods and wished to learn from your upgrades. Are you able to give more details now that some time has gone by? Possibly a better synopsis of what exactly happened, other than the obvious? Did somebody dial in the wrong number, or misread a graph? I hope to prevent a similar episode when I'm ready to go to FI. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

The story I am going with is that when Crawford dyno'd the car they put the the O2 sensor on the tailpipe, after the cats. They claim that the A/F looked perfect before I picked up the car (I say 'claimed' because I was not there to witness it). A few weeks later, after I had dyno'd it locally and found the car to be dangerously lean, Doug from Crawford called me and told me to basically quit driving the car. We had TS reflash the ECU, but the reflash actually caused more issues, and never fixed the orignal problem. I just spoke with Doug Friday and he says TS has figured out what they did wrong and can now flash my ECU to fix the problem. In the meantime, my forged pistons will be here in the next few days and my rods will be here in 3 weeks. My wideband is being put in right now, along with my boost gauge and DVD player! I'll have pictures of them all once they are done, as they will be completely differenet then anything I've ever seen on G35driver or my350z.com.

If you are thinking about FI I would recomend installing a wideband before you do anything else. If I would have had one I wouldn't have blown my motor...

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod

Old 09-05-2004, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the rapid response. A wideband O2 sensor monitors air:fuel ratios continuously over all rpms? Is it placed after the catalytic converter? Does it make any sense to insert one before going FI to get a feel for pre-FI numbers? What would it have read had it been installed in yours? Were your likely to burn up the other 5 cylinders, or was #6 running the leanest? Did Crawford's have a copy of the dyno pre-delivery or was that how they "remembered" it?

Old 09-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Banned

A wideband O2 can accurately analyze your A/F at all times, although it only really matters when at WOT. It makes little sense to get a pre-FI feel for your numbers because the target number will change. You want around a 14 for NA cars, but you want no higher then an 11.8 for FI VQ motors. As you can see in my post-Crawford dynos my A/F was hitting 14, so that is most likely the cause of the damage.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod

Old 09-06-2004, 09:49 AM

Most cars don't have a wideband 02 sensor. Did you get your wideband from AEM? Right now i'm running a A/F guage but off of my regular 02 sensor, but i've heard that it can sometimes give innacurate readings but also can mess up your ECU. Have you ever tried to simply tune the car using an aepxi unit like the safc? that way you can add more fuel to prevent you from running 10's and 11's in fuel. What i found funny about your graph, is that it ran low fuel then at the end when you stopped making power it dumped a lot of extra fuel in there.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Banned

I believe you are reading the graph backwards... the car quit making power once it LOST fuel. Above 5500 RPM the car is extremely lean, thus the explanation as to why it lost power.

My goal of this project was to not install any external A/F controllers. I want only the factory ECU controlling the engine. I, at one point at least, thought that this would be the safest and most reliable approach. I was wrong!

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod

Old 09-06-2004, 03:00 PM

oh man you're right i did read it backwards..lol sorry. Yea at 5500 your car started to lean out. What are you going to use now for tuning?

Old 09-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Banned

Supposedly Technosquare has figured out what they did wrong and fixed it. As soon as I get my Wideband in I'll send the ECU back to them to have it flashed again and see how it works out.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod