Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

A "Do It Right The First Time" stroker kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: A "Do It Right The First Time" stroker kit

Then why arn't they making pudding? A published dyno chart can be used as a baseline to judge overall performance. Say they show a dyno showing they made 550 rwhp with X amount of mods. If you go the exact same route and end up with 400 rwhp and a car that perform well you may have a case of false advertising. I feel that companies are hesitant to publish dyno charts because they really don't know what to expect out of the mods they are making/selling. It's very typical of todays society, no one wants to be held liable for anything. Look at the GM aftermarket industry, you can't buy a freaking ball joint without seeing a dyno chart for it, they have dyno charts/hp increases for EVERYTHING they make for those cars. I have never seen a mfr. dyno sheet for any parts for the G35.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod
Procharged / Crawford / TS

Old 08-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to Injen's website - they have dyno's on their exhaust/intake combo saying it makes 19 HP... if you can believe that...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Helix Test Pipes, UR Pulley, Grounding Kit, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II Exhaust, Kinetix Plenum

Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 AM

Kevin - Maybe you could get with AEBS and work a great deal on the stroker kit? They clearly need a car to put the proof in the pudding, you need a bad-***engine that is a break from the norm, and plenty of guys like me want to see someone blaze the N/A performance trail for the good of the G35 community.

Turbos are great, but can you imagine the sound of a N/A VQ35 on steroids?! [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just think about it.

'05 IP(or ?) 6MT... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

Old 08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Blaze the trail eh? I've blazed one trail - the Procharger SCer with TS reflash and upgraded fuel system and all it got me was a fast car with no compression in cylinder 6. I think I'm done trail blazing.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod

Old 08-12-2004, 11:45 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin i feel you man, products that sound great are amazing, but if the manufacturer can't back it up, $6k isnt pocket change!! I hipe we see something on this soon, within the next year or two i sha'll be going 81 compression with a nice TT Kit =)

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
HPDesign Evo 19's..

Old 08-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

I'm currently in the process of building my new engine - I chose 9.1:1 compression (Aries pistons / Pauter rods) and plan on running about 16PSI of boost from my Procharger. Fuel managment will be done somehow, but I'm not sure yet! Most likely TS and some bigger PE injectors. I'll cross that bridge once the motor is done (2-3 months).

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod

Old 08-12-2004, 12:23 PM

A mod like this is a bit hard to really get proven dynos on. There are so many variables to consider. Someone drops this kind of money on a motor and they may be doing a lot of other work as well. In fact, it's almost a requirement. Bumping up displacement by .8L is not minimal. The cams will probably be too mild to flow air as effectively. A valve size change may be in order as well. Anytime you increase displacement you increase the airflow through a motor. This gains you more power. There is little that they need to do to prove it will make more power. As far as power handling, considering AEBS reputation with high HP honda motors, I'd like to think they know what they are doing. And I'm sure they have done a lot of R&D on open deck block strengthening and sleeving because of Honda motors. 50 psi is not exactly astronomical in racing. The biggest limitation to making power on a street car is detonation. Race fuels can allow for extreme pressures without detonation. Detonation will kill a motor much faster than the pressures seen from 50 psi of boost. Detonation creates heat and pressure up to 10 times greater than that of a normal combustion. And simply increasing the pressure ratio of a FI motor to 2(effectively doubling the airflow) will result in an increase in peak combustion pressure by about only 50%. A lot of Forced induction race motors combine high compression with high boost to make extreme amounts of power. Consider Top fuel dragsters run near 50 psi(IIRC) of boost with no intercooling. Nitromethane has very good detonation properties and with the volume of the fuel needed it has a natural ability to cool the intake charge quite a bit as it atomizes.

Personally, I would expect only a few people that are very well off will perform this mod on their street cars. Otherwise we'll probably see most of these on purpose built race motors. In either case, this should really be considered a platform for more power. It was designed to remove the limitations of an open deck block design and with the increased displacement, allow you to move more air in the process through the larger displacement. And I do expect it may be a little while before these start popping up in the race scene as the rest of the engine will need to be developed to compliment this kit.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:32 PM

I have spoke to AEBS many times about the stroking option. In short, there is going to be quite a bit of clearancing issues and they did not have a crank ready to sell. Pretty much they said if I was going to stroke it I would need to send my block to them for the clearancing issues. I decided to go with their sleeves, EDM drilled pauter rods and ross 100mm pistons, along with tomei cams. The other thing people are waiting for are cometics head gaskets. If you are increasing the bore a new head gasket for that bore is necessary. Last I spoke with Cometics their 100mm bore head gaskets would be ready in two weeks. I believe this is the reason we haven't seen any proof (dynos) from AEBS or anyone yet because to finish building these motors (stroked and bored) you have to have the Cometics head gaskets. Oh yeah there is a lot of machine work to install the sleeves as it is, even without stroking. Stroking alone was probably going to add another $4000 (crank, machine work, & shipping) plus the months the block would be at AEBS, and the unknowns like bearings etc.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots and lots of money. What are the advantages of a stroker kit vs S/C or TT? Would this engine be more reliable than FI options? Doesn't new Nissan trucks use VQ40DE engine, a stroked version of out motor?

CPV35 G35C Maliblue

Old 09-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Premier Member

SOMEONE TELL ME MORE LOOKS SOOO SEXY!

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-11-2004, 02:37 AM

got ati. fried cylinders 3,5 don't know why yet.some info on what went wrong on your motor would be great.

Old 09-11-2004, 11:42 PM

The stroker kit would increase the engine displacement to about 4.3L by boring out cylinders and sleeving, would replace the crank with a very high end racing quality crank and also would replace rods and pistons and improve oil flow and perhaps other improvements as well.

AEBS makes remarkable claims (only that so far) of 400 - 450 HP N/A and astronimical HP with FI. Expenses would rival HP numbers! Despite numerous appeals, AEBS has yet to provide hard evidence of results with this kit.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:14 AM

I've wondered about giving my 3.5 liter engine the "AEBS treatment" too. But instead of stroking it to 4.3 liters, how about sleeving it down to a bulletproof *3.0 liter* displacement engine? Even at 3.0 liters, I'd have a very strong, durable engine that could easily produce [with FI] a reliable 500HP+, much more power than my drive-train can handle. (I'd have to limit maiximum boost pressure to preserve the tranny, drive-shaft, differential, etc.)

Incidentally, AEBS' process reportedly improves coolant flow to the top of the cylinders, which if true, would reduce temps there dramtically. This, among other benefits, would help control detonation.

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen Intake & SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust