Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

high mileage vortech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
high mileage vortech

I want other peoples input both professional and opinions. I have an 03 and i have over 90,000 miles and i came to a problem. I have already bought a vortech v2 by itself and here are the mods im getting with it:

-255 fuel pump
-600cc injectors
-oil press.,oil temp.,fuel press.,boost,a/f ratio gauges
-UTEC EMS
-oil pan spacer
-1 colder plugs
-oil catch can
-oil cooler
-nismo thermostat
-stage 2 meth kit

But the thing is, which you probably started thinking, is that i have almost 100,000 miles on my engine. Im trying to figure out if its good to have that on a stock block with that many miles. I never let my oil get low and i do frequent oil changes with amsoil. It seems that i have a oil consumption problem, like most people do with VQ35.
I know our blocks can hold up to 450hp until it starts to see problems with the rods and block. If theres a safe way to have this setup, for example, installing new head gaskets, because thats one thing that tends to go out during FI then im gonna do it. Who ever i talk to doesnt give me any type of technical information that im looking for so im posting it on here.
So what im asking for is:
1) should i go ahead and do it with the mods i listed
2) add something else for reliability (references from you)
3) say f**k it and try and get my money back for my SC and get a fully built block capable of devistating numbers then get the SC and s**t much later on OR should i get forged wheels and suspension and keep the bolt ons i have now???
But keep this in mind....im not made of money so its either or for a while....
thanks for your time and patience and i hope to get some helpful info from those who have mastered the VQ35DE.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
I answered your question on the other site.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:25 PM
i appreciate the input!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM
If you want to go with a supercharger build, do it right the first time before you cost yourself more money. If you blow an engine there is no telling what kind of other damage you can do to the supercharger kit or any other part of the car. Save the kit, build up a little cash, build the motor and do a few supporting mods tranny-wise, and have yourself an awesome car.

Or you could look at it in another sense by sticking with the bolt ons and adding a few more like you said above. That is all stuff you can sell to get some cash out of later when you are done with them. I know what it is like to have a high-mileage car and want to bring it to a new level. But in all sincerity, you will probably just be shooting yourself in the foot by teetering on the edge of blowing a high mileage motor.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
see thats my mentality. i was going to just get the new block but i was trying to see what others think with a mechanical background such as mine but better (i only been a mech for 2 years). if i wanted to go the no s**t safe way i will get a new long block but i already bought my sc and i would hate to change my current plan....

Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 AM
so i did the compression test and i got good readings. The compression is suppose to be above 145 i believe and im at 175 in cylinders 2,4,5,6 and 170 in cylinders 1 and 3. There isnt more than a 20% difference. If there was a 20% difference it would of been at 140. Anyways i also found out my oil consumtion problem. Which i did more research on in a different direction and found out quite a few VQ engines have the same problem. The ring seal around the hole between the head and valve cover is bad. oil is leaking onto the coilpack and on the sparkplug and finds its way into the cylinder combustion chamber (which btw the #5 coilpack is f***ed from the oil and heat as well as most of my sparkplugs were just about worn.lol). Another thing was my left hand valve cover seems to be leaking somewhat (by the residue and build up around the valve gasket). And i read in another forum about this guy who had a VQ and he had a bad oil consumption problem and found out it was the valve covers that needed to be cleaned/replaced. Well hope that helps some of you out too. So my engine seems healthy and strong so as soon as i get new valve covers, new valve cover gaskets, new pcv hose, and new coil pack which all amounts to $500 shipped ill be getting that SC build like ive dreamed.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
replace the VCs. If it were me I'd use the Vortech kit and keep the boost low initially until you are able to build your motor. You've already got the kit, throw it on.

Instead of buying brand new coil packs, you might look at some used ones. I picked up a set and now have 4 extras if you're interested. $80/new is outrageous IMO.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I picked up a set and now have 4 extras if you're interested. $80/new is outrageous IMO.
Well im getting one from autopartswarehouse.com for like 50 new and free shipping. Thanks though dude.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as you run your Vortech sensibly (note that as using stock or one-step smaller pulley), you should be more than fine on that motor.

However, if you want to start off going crazy, liking going with super small pulleys for lots of boost, then you are playing with fire so to speak . . .

Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM
i believe i heard that you can run 6-8psi on most engines and not cause a difference in lifespan. But ill be pushin prob 9-10psi so i should be fine for the time being.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WINTERDEVILG35
i believe i heard that you can run 6-8psi on most engines and not cause a difference in lifespan. But ill be pushin prob 9-10psi so i should be fine for the time being.
It really depends on how your drive your car.
If you only use boost every once in awhile, you're car will last a long time. Under normal driving, you really shouldn't see much boost at all. However, if you "gun" it at every single start or traffic light, then reliability will go down.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine is 93000 miles and I just had my vortech installed. The only problem is that as soon as out of the damn shop my valve body and some part inside the tranny blew up so I had that rebuild and it's been doing fine.

some part that you might want to consider is trans cooler, radiator sensor cooler for the fan (mine will be on at certain temp and it will be off once it cools down)

and also watch out for the TB ... it will fail on ya for that much mileage ...

I'm running pretty safe with 3.12 pulley, 2.55 inline walbro fuel pump and at 6-7 psi 336rwhp and 275tq

Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by str3zz
mine is 93000 miles and I just had my vortech installed. The only problem is that as soon as out of the damn shop my valve body and some part inside the tranny blew up so I had that rebuild and it's been doing fine.

some part that you might want to consider is trans cooler, radiator sensor cooler for the fan (mine will be on at certain temp and it will be off once it cools down)

and also watch out for the TB ... it will fail on ya for that much mileage ...

I'm running pretty safe with 3.12 pulley, 2.55 inline walbro fuel pump and at 6-7 psi 336rwhp and 275tq
i have the same mileage and my transmission and all associated parts are more than enough for my setup for reliability purposes. No one wants a down trans. I don't need a trans cooler for my MT unless i'm tracking it but it won't hurt to get one if you got the dough. But ill watch my TB. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:32 PM
just passed 110,000 miles here and got the vortech installed two weeks ago
and it's holding strong. mine is 6MT so i have no tranny problem

zero problems. 381whp & 321lb-ft with my 3.12 pulley

Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ymfromon41
just passed 110,000 miles here and got the vortech installed two weeks ago
and it's holding strong. mine is 6MT so i have no tranny problem

zero problems. 381whp & 321lb-ft with my 3.12 pulley
Did they do a leak down test before installation? I'm on the verge of installing it on my car, I'm at 114K.