Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Considering Nitrous....Whats your opinion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Considering Nitrous....Whats your opinion?

Have a 2003 coupe, I've had it a little over a year now and haven't done anything to it at all. I am considering getting a nitrous kit, I haven't done much research on it yet I was just trying to figure out which direction I wanted to go with the car. Does anyone have a nitrous kit? what are some of the pros and cons?
Thanks

Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Awesome thanks for the link!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a "dynotune nitrous kit" go to dynotunenitrous.com they have great products. Make sure you get step colder plugs, and find some way to pull timing. the best thing to do is research the hell out of it before you do it so that you can run it safely and never have any problems. dont rush into it, take your time and make sure you get a window switch with it too. once you understand it all and have it installed you will love it, just dont get greedy with the power and have self controll

Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Anyone have any info on adding Nitrous to an FI setup and how safe\unsafe that is?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDude
Anyone have any info on adding Nitrous to an FI setup and how safe\unsafe that is?
Depends on your current mods and how much Nitrous you are adding. Nitrous is very efficent with forced induction. If you have the mods to support it.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most people do not know, or overlook, that when you use nitrous you should change your oil frequently, and every single time after heavy nitrous usage.

Some of the nitrous always leaks past the rings. When it mixes with the oil and what little water may be in there (from humidity, etc.), it turns acidic and can cause premature wear on engine internals.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TTG35forT
Most people do not know, or overlook, that when you use nitrous you should change your oil frequently, and every single time after heavy nitrous usage.

Some of the nitrous always leaks past the rings. When it mixes with the oil and what little water may be in there (from humidity, etc.), it turns acidic and can cause premature wear on engine internals.
oh really, I did not know this.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
oh really, I did not know this.
Probably about a year ago I researched the oil issue and made a couple of posts in the My350Z forum with the pertinant information. You can search on my screen name and nitrous and the posts may come up. You also can search google for the information, but if I remember correctly, it took me a while to find.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Other than everything in the sticky on nitrous regarding the safest and most effective use of nitrous on your engine understand no FI will ever be "safe".

Take the realistic look into it before you take the dive...it'll cost about $800-$1000 for the bare minimum to run "safe" if you install yourself.

What I'd do is add in the cost of the kit and start up a fund for $5000. This is for the worst case scenario for if something gets screwed up (most ppl on the forums take comfort in blaming all failures of any FI on user error or "the tune").

Reason for $5000? For a reputable shop to install a built shortblock ($2000) from import parts pro ($2600). Or a decent full engine from a junkyard to swap in.

Once you save up $5000 you wouldn't care about losing, treat yourself to the $1000 kit and have a blast worry-free.

IMO it's not worth it, b/c that's likely 1/3 of what you paid for your car and by the time you save up the money you'll realize you have way better uses for it. Which is what i've realized through discipline though i'm still resisting!

I've somehow kept the mods to a y-pipe, spacer, z-tube, rev-up airbox/K&N, headlight overlays, sidemarkers, various lightbulbs/leds. I've had to frequently convince myself not to get anything else other than an osirus flash for $300 when my warranty ends in 2 years. It's easy to get addicted.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM
my opinion is to forget and it save the funds to go with a vortech SC or turbo set-up. The vortech SC is probably the easist and best bang for your buck as the mechanical install is pretty straightforward.

With nitrous:

1. Only works a few times before you need a refill
2. Requires manual opening/closing of the bottle everytime you want to use it
3. Some states require licenses to purchase the nitrous
4. its damn expensive and doesn't last long.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by liche
my opinion is to forget and it save the funds to go with a vortech SC or turbo set-up. The vortech SC is probably the easist and best bang for your buck as the mechanical install is pretty straightforward.

With nitrous:

5. you'll blow the welds on your intake manifold.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by liche

With nitrous:

1. Define a few times...
2. remote bottle opener makes it pretty easy
3. which states for non-medical grade nitrous? Just california?
4. yes...nitrous is wayyy more expensive than s/c and turbo

Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 AM
if your still interested im letting go of a sweet nex kit..comes with switches, bottle warmer, 10lb tank, remote opener, and purge kit...just send a pm if interested...