Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I have hear a few worst I heard, only you and new lessons..... This happened to nitrouz years ago but it was for more like $30,000 not sure if it this site or my350z same deal he didnt claim anything and then they seized the car and made home pay through the nose to get it back.

Sucks to hear but I guess it is the chance you take.

edit found the story

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
Alright here goes. There has been a lot of assumptions going around over the past 7 months as to what really happened to my car. There hasn't been any new pictures. I steer away from talking about the current status of my car. etc etc... Some were assuming my motor blew. Some assumed I sold the car. Some assumed I totalled the car. And now that the issue has come to an end, I'll just clarify here.

I moved back to Vancouver Canada from Northern California due to work last July (2007). When I first moved down to Norcal, my car was brought over. I purchased my car in Canada. Since then, it had a lot of work done to it in the US. When I shipped it back, Canadian Customs seized the vehicle, as I did not know I needed to report the modifications, since it was a Canadian car, and I actually MOVED to Norcal for work, and was moving back. I was wrong, and it was my fault for not understanding the correct procedures.

So the car was seized last July when it was crossing the border. I had to provide an invoice with every single aftermarket part I have on my car to Customs, all within 48 hours. For those of you that know my mod list, it was a difficult task to accomplish in such a short amount of time. but I pulled it off, with the help of Sam@GTM, Andy@Performance, and Volk350z.

After that, my file was forwarded to the Crown investigators to see if they are going to pursue prosecution for smuggling. Smuggling parts. Smuggling parts that were already on my car. So I called lawyers, customs, etc...every other week, to see if there were any updates. I kept getting "1 more week, and we should be able to let you know." That lasted 7 months. That was painful, not only because of my car, but mainly because of the criminal charges. I thought that may have gone a little too far.

Finally...I got a call right before Xmas. Customs are dropping the charges, but I had to pay the duty, taxes, and penalty which came out to $30,000 Canadian Dollars. It was my fault, I admit, as I should have researched a bit more before shipping my car. So my car finally arrived at my house this afternoon, all covered in dust. At least I know they didn't take it out for joyrides.

The car is still in its original condition. I topped off the oil and the water/methanol, but the battery's dead. It's charging now as we speak, and I hope to fire it up tomorrow morning and do a full cleaning, and oil change.

So anyways that's the story. My engine is fine. My car is fine. Just wanted to clarify a bit for those that were assuming the worst.

Alex

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 10-30-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Well when it's put up against that travesty I guess mine is small beans.

Sure takes the fun out of it- getting *** raped getting stuff that's basically unavailable up here coming over the border or getting *** raped at the border when you go down to get it done.

Sigh.

Well- fortunately I think my big mod days are over!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 AM
Ya I bet that is sick feeling, give us 9k right now or we will keep your car.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Eno

Smoothed out the dyno reads 516.3 or so but in its sharper form it's 518.

Still not 100% on the black on the Cosworth but I think it looks okay... nice to have something different in there.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I like the black wrinkle I think you need to do the piping to match though

Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Agreed, that would look eeeee-vil!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
I like the black wrinkle I think you need to do the piping to match though
+1 and i agree it looks bad a$$

Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn now thats a pretty - ..

Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Eno
Well I learned I could have the piping powder coated... again- not sure if we're going that way yet- I think my heart might be set on polished but now at least when the hood pops up there's something not everyone sees. I fear once I get into the black accents suddenly I'll be smoking headlights, corners... then the black wheels will follow... Although in keeping with the whole "beauty and the beast" thing- all the beast (engine) could be black and the beauty could stay nice and pretty like in all the polish. Pop the hood and she's pure evil. Hmmmmmm.

And goodness! What ever shall I wear tonight?

God, here we go.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Eno
Okay... I'm just going to ask. A guy in 350z asked me if I'd consider expanding on my exhaust system. I see a LOT of names and numbers out there- but I've always thought back to the fact that Gord was thinking about Fast Intentions... I suspected he was talking about the Dominator exhaust? Sounds like it is resoundingly popular... deep, menacing tone... not racy / ricy...

The other one that got my attention is the Greddy Evo TT... Am I naive in setting these two aside?

I'm only looking for exhausts of opportunity- but focusing on these two. Am I missing something?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
You will probably want something thats at least a 2.75" dual system. I currently have the HKS which is only 2.25" and my tuner was telling me its too restricting.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 PM
I thought you had a Stillen already? It is good for over 600whp, if you need to upgrade go with something 3" FI Dominator I think Motordyne makes one as well.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Eno
Well that's what I thought you'd said... which is enough for me- but with that being said back in the day the muffler shop I went to to help me with the rasp / leak I was having just took the clamps right off (the extenders that go in there to elongate it from the 350z length) and welded it. I thought this was good at the time but now for some reason the way the muffler fits it hits against my rear MD sway bar... and the boys at MNR tried to adjust the actual hangers but couldn't because of the welds. So my bad... lesson learned- but suffice to say if I came upon something reasonable I would take it. If I'm going to be getting something new (er) then I'd go with something that was slightly upgraded.

I've been looking for diameter measurements of the Stillen (I'm up at work for another 4 days) but I can't see. Are they 2.75? Or 2.5?

Also just started looking up a better radar / lidar detection system... looking very seriously at the Bel-Tronics STi-R Plus and judging by the remarkably common deployment of Lidar / Laser speed enforcement in the Van area I think even the ZR-4 laser shifter might be a good idea too. Nice thing is, the BT can be upgraded to accommodate a number of different laser shifters / jammers. In reading a bunch of forums about those- I see LI, ALG-9... the ZR-4, and the Blinder M47... Not sure if I speed enough to warrant a 500 dollar laser jammer- but then again I don't speed enough to warrant spending 40k (thanks customs) on a twin turbo build lol. I guess I kind of owe it to myself.

Last edited by Eno; 11-16-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Consider this, one of the best looking engine bays I've ever seen was done where along with a total wire tuck everything was black...zero polish. It looked soooo clean, it hurt!
Gary

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Stillen is 2.5" I have measured it before.

The following users liked this post:
Eno (11-23-2011)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...