Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Teaser pics from my motor build.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Teaser pics from my motor build.....

Im going with there best short block .I am adding Nismo cams also . I hope to get 12lb's boost with a 2.87 serp pulley

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 11-15-2004, 03:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Gurgen! Nice to see you are still alive! I've been lurking lately too. . .damn only 24 hours in a day! I need more time to do everything!

I was going to ask you, it looks like your engine is still an open deck? I knew that you were building up the bottom end, but what exactly are you having done? Just the rods/heads? Did you get a new shaft? Are you going to sleeve the engine at all or do anything to make it a "partial" closed deck?

Can't wait to see new pictures!

-drew

BTW, did you see that JWT is using H20 to cool their twins? Since the PE has this capability too, are you going to do it? :-) L8rs!

Old 11-15-2004, 03:57 AM

BTW, I meant rods and piston heads. . .not the head of the engine. Oh, and I forgot to ask, are you doing anything the your transmission to be able to take the pounding it's gonna get? Haha! Better start thinking about more than just your kidneys! 'Cuz you know, if you build up your engine, and then beef up the tranny to take the power, you have to get a stroger drive shaft, and definitely need to beef up the rear diff and rear axle! I guess once you've gone through the enitire drivetrain it'll only matter how much you need to be replacing your tires, eh? :-D By that time, you could have just waited for the GTR in 2007! :-D

later again!

-drew

Old 11-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 2007 gt-r sounds like its gonna be a tt g35 basically tho....

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 11-15-2004, 03:26 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the 2007 gt-r sounds like its gonna be a tt g35 basically tho....

<hr></blockquote>

Exactly. . .after all the work that gurgen has put into his car is finally done, he could have just saved all the money and bought the GTR. :-) I've heard rumors that the GTR is supposed to have a rediculous amount of power though (450-500 hp?) and may have a larger displacement than our VQs. . .and if it's already got an entire drivetrain built up to handle that, it may be worth it to wait for it rather than rebuild the entire drivetrain on our cars. . .I must admit, JWT is sure tempting me though! I may have to pay him a visit since he's only an hour south! 2007 is an awfully long way away!

-drew

Old 11-15-2004, 05:02 PM

Drewer,

Last question first. The GTR will be ONLY 479 crank hp - or about 392 wheel hp .... that's not really that much ... in fact that's less than what I had at 7.5-8 psi. Of course it's more than the N/A car... but you know what I mean... Also, Believe you me... I learned my lesson. I will NEVER ever buy a car on the first year of release. At least the nd year, or more preferably, the third year. Which is what I would be inclined to do, unless there are some moer gems out there. But seriously,the amount of power that I will have will make ANY new car that I buy seriously underpowered in stock form. I forsee keeping this car for at least until 2009.

As far as the tranny is concerned, so far i will be doing nothing, until I hook up all the monitoring t the car and see/log what the ATF temp sensors are doing. I'll take it from there. I ca tell you that I am inclined to go to a 6MT tranny if my AT fails.

My engine: Sleeveing is not necessary uneless you are going to go over about 800hp. That's been maintained by several shops that stand to profit further from me if they were to go with sleeves. AEBS was the only one maintaining that the sleeves are requierd for anything over 400-450 whp. I do not believe them, but time will tell. Our stock sleeves are very decent. As far as decking, I also decided against it. If you look at the bloc, you have a floating cylinder for only the top ~1.5" or so, it is closed deck from that point down.

Here is wha was done to the engine:

Basic Headwork:
clean and vat, surfacing, performance valve job, new valve stem seals, pressure test, polish cam journals, tolerance on valves and guides checked and replaced if necessary

Basic Short Block:
vat, bore, hone, polish crank, file fit rings, pin fit rods, new Nissan rod and main bearings, balance rotating assembly

Gurgen

Old 11-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there any option in closing the deck? I think that any major boost 16+ will possibly cause a long term problem. I haven't had any time lately to work on any of this stuff, my motor and parts are just hanging out right now. Closing the deck is very important to me, as other engines have proved it to be necesarry (Hondas mostly). I figure this is the only time I'm ever going to do an engine swap so I want everything as bulletproof as possible.

Did they flow test your heads? I'm interested to see the results before and after.

Are the Nismo cams the best cams for high boost? I havn't been abe to find much info about them yet.... I was planning on having mine custom cut.

How big of injectors are you going with? I saw that TS can now control the bigger RC injectors. Thats the last part of my engine I have to deal with. You are very lucky to be able to work with TS. They have screwed up my tuning twice now Living in Ohio sucks!

Good luck with everything, I can't wait to see your results.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod
Procharged / Crawford / TS

Old 11-15-2004, 10:29 PM

Cool cool and cool. I thot ur car had some serious ***** at 4psi. . .or whatever you ran in the parking lot. :-D I'm looking forward to seeing how much power you'll finally have under the hood. . .

-drew

Old 11-15-2004, 10:35 PM

Drewer,

Yeah that was 5.5-6 psi I believe... Wait til I take her to ~18psi.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:36 PM

Kevin,

I did think at first to half-close the deck, not full-close, as t still maintain some heat dissipation. But given that it will only be an issue at 650+ and that even then it's very questionable (because the water jackets are only about 1.5-2 inches deep from what I am told), I decided that it was not needed.

Gurgen

Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Damm Gurgen you really know your stuff, im just sitting back taking in all of this info haha!! Your doing quite a project man, im still undecided wether to make this car a project car or any g35 at that, or wait till lease is up and go with soemthing else :/

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 11-16-2004, 03:05 PM

Martin

Buddy, do not make this your project car. I have got the perfect plan for you, haha:

1. Let the lease come up.
2. If you are still into this car, get a used 6MT sedan or coupe with as high a miles on the engine as possible (while the rest of thecar is very clean).
3. Then tear out the engine, get all the forged pieces in, and call it a race car... for the least amount of money.

Gurgen

Old 11-16-2004, 06:45 PM

Yeah Martin, buy a clean $20K car and dump another $20K into it. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Gurgen just beat me to it... You've been wanting a 6mt for some time now. (See some of us actually listen to you [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img])

Gurgen, I take back my "pioneer" comments from months past. You're not a pioneer, you are the president of "mod-a-holics anonymous". I, for one, really appreciate all of your posts. It's nice to see others spending money on the VQ35DE and letting people (like me) learn from "mistakes" that arise along the way. If enough others lay out a good floor plan, I might build a little house upon the VQ myself. Of course, I plan on waiting for a couple of years. In the mean time, post away good buddie!

Old 11-16-2004, 08:23 PM

Mod-a-holics anonymous...... good one! I feel like I am a member of some kind of unsane faction... much to my own detriment.

Well.... if I sell the car anytime withing the next 3-4 years, than you can assume that there were no takers for my kidney and the bank called in the loans.....

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 11/16/04 05:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

HAHA Gurgen and Neff, you guys are mad funny and cool =)
Man yes i want a manual 6spd SO BADLY you have no idea, like seriously i go to trya nd test drive different stick cars because im so good at driving stick for me not even having one, its a thrill driving a manual car especially a fast and powerfull one (M3, S4) man! I guess you guys are right, and Gurg please change your status to modaholics annonymous LOL!!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Teaser pics from my motor build.....