Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech V-7 YSi, what is a good compressions and cam setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011 | 01:03 PM
|
Vortech V-7 YSi, what is a good compressions and cam setup

Hello everyone, thanks for reading this.

First off, let me say that I have been searching and searching for information on this and have yet to find anything that tweaks my mind about this subject.

I'm currently running a Vortech V3 SCi kit with 2.87 pulley on a stock block. I have a 1/2" plenum spacer, full exhaust, 600cc inj, walbro 255 fuel pump, and direct port water/meth injection.

I looking at rebuilding my motor in February probably and so I'm getting started on getting all the parts I need. I looking at doing the full engine rebuild and adding a fuel return system and tuning it on the SCi blower and then about a month after upgrading to the YSi for higher boost. I'm undecided on what boost level I plan to run on it but I'm predicting between 15-20psi to start with and may go up from there. I want to turn 7600 RPMs and make power up to there.

So my questions are:
What type of cams are recommended? I don't know a whole lot about cams so I'm leaning to you guys for advice. I have heard people say good things about the BC stage 3 cams and I have been trying to find some more information on them and any dynos. I know with the power curve being linear it pulls close to a being a NA car. It looks like the NA cams are running a slightly bigger intake side to allow the vacuum to suck down more air, where as the turbo are bigger exhaust to let the turbo spool faster. The BC cams look as if they have identical intake and exhaust. With boost being in the cylinder vs just the vacuum from a NA car I would think 264/264 or 272/272 cams may be pretty good for allowing the boost to come in and exit nicely

What would be a good compression ratio for that much boost on a centrifugal supercharger? I have read some forums where people where saying anywhere between 9.5-11:1 on a centrifugal supercharger setup. But with that high of boost I'm worried with detonation. I will be using 93 octane with the water/meth mix and right now on 11psi I'm able to run 23 degrees of timing before any signs of detonation. I imagine I could run a higher meth mix and get away with more timing. I want to maintain almost the same power outside of boost as I do with the stock block. Do you think 10:1 is too high and I should do 9.5:1?

If you have any information on any of these or have any real experiences I would really appreciate it. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me on here or leave a response and I will reply back asap.

Thank you everyone! Have a great day!

Old 11-22-2011 | 11:10 PM
600cc injectors are not really that big so how much power are you aiming for, I would go with 9.5:1 compression. I like Jim Wolf cams myself the S-7 would be nice for a moderate power boosted rev-up.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/customer_results.asp

Old 11-22-2011 | 11:28 PM
|
I know the injectors may need to be upgraded. After the engine build I'm guessing between 450-500 rwhp. With the new blower somewhere around 550-600 rwhp. I have heard the fuel return system has dropped IDC after install. Right now I'm estimating I'm about 400 rwhp with IDC at 85% so I will upgrade after the engine build if I need to. By the way I have a non rev up engine. Forgot to mention that. Do you have the s7 cams?

Old 11-23-2011 | 10:59 PM
No I also have the non-rev up I went with C2 cams. The S1 would be a nice mild upgrade, the C2 are considered race cams but if 600whp is your goal I would consider them. A great resource is to go on Jim Wolfs web site and go to the contact us area and send an email about your built/goals they will recommend a suitable cam. I have even got replies from Jim himself from there. They usually get back to you fairly quick as well.

Old 11-27-2011 | 08:17 PM
look at corey's 560hp vortech setup to see what you need for fuel. it's WAY more than you think you should need on a turbo. My walbro 255 was maxed out at 507hp on my vortech. That means 600cc injectors will be maxed out if you have a fuel pump that can supply enough. Minimum i would say is aero 340 fuel pump and 800cc injectors.

you won't need to worry about cams to do anything with boost "coming in" since it's directly driven by rpm. Turbos are affected because cams alter exhaust flow and that is what spins the turbos. In the supercharger once that BPV closes it will always produce the same boost at the same rpm (unless the belt slips).

I would run lower than stock compression but the highest you can. 9.5:1 seems like the next lower available after stock 10.3:1. If you are worried about detonation then you just turn the timing down, simple. I would leave your meth mix alone and set it to 50/50.

Old 11-27-2011 | 09:29 PM
|
Okay, thank you for the reply. I will look into his.