Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Just acquired a Garrett turbo... need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Just acquired a Garrett turbo... need help

Ok, so I don't know much about turbo sizes and what numbers mean what so I need some help.

I acquired a Garrett turbo today. No I didn't steal it, it was legit. Brand new in the box, was still in the bag. The compressor housing says M24 A/R .50 the turbine housing says M3 A/R 1.00 LG2. The turbine has the dual inlet.

Something I can use on the G? Theres a good chance I can come across a second one so I have my fingers crossed...

Attached Thumbnails Just acquired a Garrett turbo... need help-dsc01083.jpg   Just acquired a Garrett turbo... need help-dsc01084.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
too small, even if you used 2 of them.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
how small is it? Whats it probably capable of?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Not sure exactly what hp yours is rated. BUT my garret's have larger housings and are still only 250hp turbos.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I googled the P/N, garrett 466721-0016, and I've found out its used on Daewoo cars. I cant find anything about specs really.

I did find a couple places that had guys using them, one said he had one on a RB25DET said ot was good for 350hp @ 12psi? I guess I dont understand how to read turbos enough to really understand much on it yet. I see that the smaller the trim the faster it will spool, but the faster it will fall at higher rpms.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts
regardless of the part's usability, IMO you're kinda approaching this process in the wrong directions. Perhaps buying a kits that already on the market is a more feasible route to take.

no offense, but for the questions you're asking, a custom turbo build is probably not the route to take, cost might be higher and reliability might be lower

Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by ratm68
regardless of the part's usability, IMO you're kinda approaching this process in the wrong directions. Perhaps buying a kits that already on the market is a more feasible route to take.

no offense, but for the questions you're asking, a custom turbo build is probably not the route to take, cost might be higher and reliability might be lower
well its something that I got brand new in the box for free. If it wont do any good I'm not out anything, but if it will thats a good chunk of cost that I can avoid to build something, especially if I can find another one. I'm not looking for crazy hp numbers.

If I can find someplace that explains turbos without talking like a ITT tech graduate then I'd prolly be fine, but when I see too many numbers and calculations it all becomes a mumbled mess. Or if I can find someone to explain things in person I'll be fine. Right now I just dont have the attention span or patience to sit down and figure it all out.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Agreed it's not worth trying to build your own kit; This isn't your typical honda. I'll make a long story short and leave you with that. The fact you're asking questions about this random turbo proves my point... anyhow...

to answer your question about what turbo you have to know exactly what you have u need to measure both the inducer and exducer of each side.

The numbers on the housing are just that... the housings and don't tell you what's inside.

Do you have the wastgate components (diaphram, linkage, mounts, ect)? Not seeing them in your pics.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by djamps
Agreed it's not worth trying to build your own kit; This isn't your typical honda. I'll make a long story short and leave you with that. The fact you're asking questions about this random turbo proves my point... anyhow...

to answer your question about what turbo you have to know exactly what you have u need to measure both the inducer and exducer of each side.

The numbers on the housing are just that... the housings and don't tell you what's inside.

Do you have the wastgate components (diaphram, linkage, mounts, ect)? Not seeing them in your pics.
No I have nothing else for it. All the other compnents for a build i have a good understanding of, I just never understood the turbo themselves. I wasnt expecting to come across this and wasnt planning on boost til next winter, but since it was free and brand new I figured it wouldnt hurt to grab it just in case. Like i said if I cant use it then its no loss to me.

I understand that the numbers are just numbers, but they do have meaning otherwise they wouldnt put them there. From my understanding the smaller the compressor size the less air it will move, and the larger the turbine size the more lag you should have. If this is correct them the one I have here cold have more lag than I 'd like but wouldnt create much boost?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
found some more specs...

Comp - TO4E 6 blades
wheels diameter - 82,00
inducer size - 53,00
tip height - 6,50
wheel bore diamter - 6,25
trim - 42

turbine - T4 11 blades
wheel diameter - 73,00
inducer diameter - 64,00
pilot diameter - 6,25
trim - 77

I cant find any compressor maps for it, but after looking at maps with similar specs this wouldnt be big enough. Oh well like I said it was free.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I just went single turbo last week..... I bought a FULL kit... and I spent $11000 doing it...

You have a turbo, which is the Smallest peice of the puzzle...
More importantly, you bought a turbo that is perfect for a 1.8T

So buy yourself and A4, and boost that ****

Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
You got it for free, sweet. Post it on ebay, sell to someone who can actually use it, and profit.