Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

F.I. For noobs. (My story of a Momentum ST install)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
F.I. For noobs. (My story of a Momentum ST install)

Hey everyone, So after about a month of owning my G, I was already having wet dreams of going Turbo.
Having a Stage 3 Audi S4, and a 420whp Passat Station wagon, I was really missing the Turbo, but I LOVED the G... so i decided to do something about it.

I searched high and low for weeks for a Supercharger setup or a Turbo setup.
Trying to do it on the cheap.

Well cheap is relative... So everyone wondering "How much does it cost to go F.I"

Lets do a breakdown.
Momentum Single Turbo Kit ($5500 I got a STEAL of a deal on the FULL kit, with full fueling)
Exhaust, with Custom Reverse Y ($1000)
AFR/Boost guages ($350)
Installation (Worked it out with a Local tuner and builder here, we decided on $2000 for install and tune and clutch install)
Clutch (Since stock isnt going to hold lol, went 6 puck Ceramic with LWFW... $1500)
Random **** here and there $500.

So if you want to go F.I and want to do it on the cheap.. Budget for $11,000 Unless you do the work yourself.

here is some pics from along the way.

And a Video from the Dyno.

Tuned @ 377hp/399tq
Plans for future are

Fuel return System.
Fully built Longblock.
perhaps a GT37 upgrade.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Nice, man, should be a fun car.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Just picked up a set of DT1 Hotbits

I ran these in my STi and in my 400+hp Wagon. Amazing stuff.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
Great fi build!!

You got a great price on your install/clutch/tune..crazy!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sweet build dude.

Just a thought, isnt your stock rods not good for 400wtq? I read you wana keep torque around 350ish because the VQ rods can bend with the higher tq. But i suppose if you are gonna build the block later it dosent matter.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I am assuming that this is a safe tune.

This is what everyone who has run this kit, has for average on the low side, most people are pushing more....

My problem right now is right at 2500rpm if at anything less then full throttle, even at WOT. There is a hesitation.. Once I get to 2600rpm its done.

Ive thrown the codes
P0051, P0037 as well as Multipul misfires.

I cleared the codes. They are back.

I no longer have cats. I do NOT know anything about the car, or about tuning.

Should I get it retuned? Does this sound like a ECU problem?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Start with the cheapest stuff first. Check the gap on your spark plugs... Then go from there

Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Sylvan lake V35
This message has been deleted by Sylvan lake V35.

I'm sure that would have been interesting.

Anyway- having more or less been in your position myself I approached it a little bit differently. I didn't walk in a week before my kit showed up and call one of the most knowledgeable, helpful guys on the whole forum a douche because he basically said what you're going through now was going to happen.

Even the way you describe your problem "at 2500rpm if at anything less then full throttle, even at WOT. There is a hesitation.." What? Over in my350Z you said you had a total power shut down at one point and went home and parked the car. Maybe nice to mention over here too.

The codes your throwing all look to be O2 sensor related and should have been turned off. You said P0057 on one thread and 0051 on the other. Either way they're around the same (02 sensors)so that one slips through.

If you want guys to help you out you're going to need to learn to communicate the problem a little better. The guys you said "know Osiris" evidently didn't know it well enough to shut off those rather common codes and would have also encouraged you to purchase the upgraded MAF which I'm going to assume from my revision of what the full Momentum kit includes wasn't a part of it. I think the DE / Rev up MAF sensors are the same... and if that's true then I would be taking a hard look at the UPREV GT MAF.The stock is good for ~400 (at the crank) and 6psi... unless the uprev is upgraded like the rest of the engine is.

That's another trip to the tuner (the ACTUAL Osiris tuner) to do it RIGHT this time instead of some dude who is "a great tuner with every single tuning software BUT Osiris" with tips given over the phone by ACTUAL Osiris tuners.

For a guy that struts around boasting his other FI accomplishments... you're not going about this the right way- at all.

Last edited by Eno; 03-04-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Sylvan lake V35
This message has been deleted by Sylvan lake V35.

I'm sure that would have been interesting.

Anyway- having more or less been in your position myself I approached it a little bit differently. I didn't walk in a week before my kit showed up and call one of the most knowledgeable, helpful guys on the whole forum a douche because he basically said what you're going through now was going to happen.

Even the way you describe your problem "at 2500rpm if at anything less then full throttle, even at WOT. There is a hesitation.." What? Over in my350Z you said you had a total power shut down at one point and went home and parked the car. Maybe nice to mention over here too.

The codes your throwing all look to be O2 sensor related and should have been turned off. You said P0057 on one thread and 0051 on the other. Either way they're around the same so that one slips through.

If you want guys to help you out you're going to need to learn to communicate the problem a little better. The guys you said "know Osiris" evidently didn't know it well enough to shut off those rather common codes and would have also encouraged you to purchase the upgraded MAF which I'm going to assume from my revision of what the full Momentum kit includes wasn't a part of it. I think the DE / Rev up MAF sensors are the same... and if that's true then I would be taking a hard look at the UPREV GT MAF.The stock is good for ~400 (at the crank) and 6psi... unless the uprev is upgraded like the rest of the engine is.

That's another trip to the tuner (the ACTUAL Osiris tuner) to do it RIGHT this time instead of some dude who is "a great tuner with every single tuning software BUT Osiris" with tips given over the phone by ACTUAL Osiris tuners.

For a guy that struts around boasting his other FI accomplishments... you're not going about this the right way- at all.
It was, he was correcting someone and explaining that blowing and engine is alot more work then just replacing the engine, as **** can ruin your turbo too etc.

I have since PM'd Sylvian and apoligized. Next time I will privy you to all the goings on around here.

Yes I did go home and park the car. Maybe I exagerated the "HUGE power loss" It was only "a noticable. drop in power" Ill choose my wording more carefully when posting on 2 seperate forums. Oh and it is NOT @ WOT... only at partial throttle.. when WOT it passes that spot without a hiccup.
It was P0057... I thought it was P0051... I didnt write it down, just from memory, and when typing P005 into google. It automatically brings up the 1, then Heater etc, So I figured that was it.... My bad.

Momentum Kit came with a PMAS MAF. It is installed.

As for the guys who did the tune... it was harder then usual. I had National Speed on one line Speaking in english. My mechanic beside me speaking in French, and myself in the middle translating. Perhaps one or two things got overlooked.

either way I made an apointment @ Johnnys Motorsports in Montreal Tomorrow. So well find out if its a mechanical problem or a tune. Then will be fixed.

I didnt mean to be Boasting about my FI acomplishment. Especially when 50% of the people on here have 20x more work into their car. Just telling people what I have and looking for useful feedback.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Eno
Originally Posted by ReStylin
Next time I will privy you to all the goings on around here.
I'll expect weekly updates in size 5 font.

Hope your issues are all just simple oversights that they can unravel... If PMAS is the HPX sensor I've read in several areas that resolution may be a bit of an issue at lower loads. Perhaps that's been fixed but it seems to me that recently (within the last 6 months) my shop recommended the UPREV GT over HPX because of the idling issues and resolution scaling issues of the HPX. This seems to lend itself to what you're experiencing in terms of the lower loads / rpm.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I'll expect weekly updates in size 5 font.

Hope your issues are all just simple oversights that they can unravel... If PMAS is the HPX sensor I've read in several areas that resolution may be a bit of an issue at lower loads. Perhaps that's been fixed but it seems to me that recently (within the last 6 months) my shop recommended the UPREV GT over HPX because of the idling issues and resolution scaling issues of the HPX. This seems to lend itself to what you're experiencing in terms of the lower loads / rpm.

Good luck.
Done and done lol, any type of font preference? I perfer Impact

I dont know if its the HPX, its just the one that came with the kit. I will check it out tomorrow. If it is the bad one then Ill pick up the Uprev GT.

I DO appreciate your help, and your constructive critisism is always welcome. The day of my first post, I was in a shitty mood to begin with (All the water pipes in my house froze when I went away for a week after the pilot light in the furnace went off, so I had to replace everything with PEX)

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Eno
Originally Posted by ReStylin
Done and done lol, any type of font preference? I perfer Impact

I dont know if its the HPX, its just the one that came with the kit. I will check it out tomorrow. If it is the bad one then Ill pick up the Uprev GT.

I DO appreciate your help, and your constructive critisism is always welcome. The day of my first post, I was in a shitty mood to begin with (All the water pipes in my house froze when I went away for a week after the pilot light in the furnace went off, so I had to replace everything with PEX)
I'd rather wingdings but sadly they don't carry it here. IMPACT will do.

There is a lot of discussion in a couple of the threads over in my350 that might be worth a look. Search Uprev GT in the FI forum and go look at the "stock MAF vs uprev GT MAF," and "MAF issue" threads that come up as results.

I can totally hear you about the frozen pipes thing... won't get into the whole story because it's OT but anyway... I hear ya.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd rather wingdings but sadly they don't carry it here. IMPACT will do.

There is a lot of discussion in a couple of the threads over in my350 that might be worth a look. Search Uprev GT in the FI forum and go look at the "stock MAF vs uprev GT MAF," and "MAF issue" threads that come up as results.

I can totally hear you about the frozen pipes thing... won't get into the whole story because it's OT but anyway... I hear ya.
I am still trying to get the hint of the search function... Everytime I search, I get 500+ threads of everything that I DONT need... just because it has 1 word from my search in it.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I assume the kit came with 1step colder plugs so that shouldn't be an issue the gap might be to wide causing spark blow out. It could be the MAF I have no personal experience with up rev other than it wouldn't load into my car for some reason. Other thought is it could be a bad coil pack.
But it does sound very likely it is the tune, do you have a wide band? Was one used when you were tuned, I think they are important to know what your car is doing I even run one for each cylinder bank.