Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

what is the best turbo kit to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the best turbo kit to buy?

hello everyone i was wondering if i could get a little information about some turbo kits and mods. I drive a 2004 g35 6mt coupe with JWT popcharger and top speed pro 1 full exhaust. im trying to gather information on what is the best SINGLE (not twin turbo) turbo kit to buy for a stock engine, using pump gas and can be used for daily driving, along with which forged pistons to use ( other mods listed to help the performance is appreciated as well). i dont really have a price range right now just looking for information for the future. my goal is to get around 400-500 hp with a turbo and slight mods and as time goes on build it more and add more HP. if you have a turbo kit on your car and you would recommend it please post what it is, what mods you have done, who tuned it, how its working for you and how much HP it produces

thanks guys

Last edited by illestG12; 03-05-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Start here this list has alot of good info but the single turbo kit list is way out of date and the APS and Turbonetics kits are no longer readily available and the Turbonetics kit has been proven to have many issues with it.

https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-...ion-noobs.html

Although not on the list above The best single tubo kit by far is the Boosted Performance kit, it is the most affordable and easiest to instal and uses all high end parts and has several turbo sizes available to meet your power needs. PRivate Message 350Z T on here he builds and sells the BP kits.

Don't be afraid to read the threads in the FI section either people will be more willing to help if you put in a little effort and do some research and ask some intelligent questions. If you do that you will find OEM pistons are not your weak point.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 03-05-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 AM
thanks for your information! definitely going to help me out alot!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
^ SLV knows what hes talking about.

I wish I picked up a BP kit... I Bought a Momentum kit, I have NO complaints and its an amazingly put together kit, but the BP has someone standing behind it... as opposed to Momentum, which has shut its doors :P

Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
How much $$ do you have to play with? 400whp (stock block limits) is pretty easily attained, any kit will get you there and all you'll really need along with it is a fuel pump, larger injectors and a beefier clutch along with a good tune.. Anything more than that becomes very invasive and very expensive very fast. Do some research and know what you're getting into!

In the end it all comes down to your end goals and budget

Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
The best single tubo kit by far is the Boosted Performance kit, it is the most affordable and easiest to instal and uses all high end parts and has several turbo sizes available to meet your power needs.
Agreed. If I was to do it again I'd buy one of these, install it in my garage and call it good. Not only the best option for single kits but the only option IMO.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the support guys..

Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by ReStylin
^ SLV knows what hes talking about.

I wish I picked up a BP kit... I Bought a Momentum kit, I have NO complaints and its an amazingly put together kit, but the BP has someone standing behind it... as opposed to Momentum, which has shut its doors :P
Originally Posted by seymore4
How much $$ do you have to play with? 400whp (stock block limits) is pretty easily attained, any kit will get you there and all you'll really need along with it is a fuel pump, larger injectors and a beefier clutch along with a good tune.. Anything more than that becomes very invasive and very expensive very fast. Do some research and know what you're getting into!

In the end it all comes down to your end goals and budget
i have roughly 9 grand to spend on performance! thank you for your knowledge .

Agreed. If I was to do it again I'd buy one of these, install it in my garage and call it good. Not only the best option for single kits but the only option IMO.
thanks for your input !
Originally Posted by 350Z T
you will be getting a PM shortly sir.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by illestG12
i have roughly 9 grand to spend on performance! thank you for your knowledge .
If you're not ok with throwing every penny of that in a fire and watching it burn before your eyes don't boost your car. Even with the best kits and best tunes $@%# happens and some motors just can't take it. Some guys throw on a twin turbo kit in their backyard and boost like crazy stock block for 50K miles without even a proper tune and other guys watch their car go boom on the dyno without even sitting behind the wheel.... and if that happens you'll end up throwing in at least another 10K or scrapping the car.

Not trying to dissuade you from going this route just want to be realistic with what can and DOES happen, most of the time when this happens tho people don't post about it on the forum, we only see the success stories and the builds in progress.

I'd really consider finishing up with bolt-ons, an uprev dyno tune (not the email one an actual in person tune on a dyno) and some decent suspension to help the handling, and then reassess. Besides, if you do go FI you're going to need all that anyways. I was boosted on stock suspension for a little bit and it was noooo bueno

Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
If you're not ok with throwing every penny of that in a fire and watching it burn before your eyes don't boost your car. Even with the best kits and best tunes $@%# happens and some motors just can't take it. Some guys throw on a twin turbo kit in their backyard and boost like crazy stock block for 50K miles without even a proper tune and other guys watch their car go boom on the dyno without even sitting behind the wheel.... and if that happens you'll end up throwing in at least another 10K or scrapping the car.

Not trying to dissuade you from going this route just want to be realistic with what can and DOES happen, most of the time when this happens tho people don't post about it on the forum, we only see the success stories and the builds in progress.

I'd really consider finishing up with bolt-ons, an uprev dyno tune (not the email one an actual in person tune on a dyno) and some decent suspension to help the handling, and then reassess. Besides, if you do go FI you're going to need all that anyways. I was boosted on stock suspension for a little bit and it was noooo bueno
I totally hear what your saying and i will start with bolt on and tunes and work my way up.As i said i am doing this in the future so i have time to do all the other necessary modification, im just trying to get all the info i can before i do anything more. I will not be doing all this myself or leaving the car untuned most of the work and all the tuning are going to be done at STM in New York ( were im located ). And yes i know all that stuff CAN happen and it is a risk, but its a risk im willing to take. And im not on stock suspension im and HKS coilovers. thanks for everything and your concern !

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Why would you be buying bolt ons now if you plan on goin FI later. That is just a waste of money IMO. You can upgrade your clutch and tires now, but don't waste your money on plenum spacers, intake systems, exhaust systems..ect.

Since you are in NY, your best bet is to see Vince at R/T tuning. The man knows his stuff very well, and has tuned countless VQ's.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Premier Member

Why would you be buying bolt ons now if you plan on goin FI later. That is just a waste of money IMO. You can upgrade your clutch and tires now, but don't waste your money on plenum spacers, intake systems, exhaust systems..ect.
Turbos like big exhausts

Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Turbos like big exhausts
But not all exhausts will bolt up to all turbo kits so he could end up wasting money on a exhaust that may not work with the kit he chooses. So now you have to buy two exhaust systems.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Send my commission cheque to the usual address

I don't think I would waste my time with bolt ons and an NA tune. The gains are not worth the money, on these cars FI is the only way to make substantial gains.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
Send my commission cheque to the usual address
How about lunch/beer at the next meet for starters. I have to evaluate your performance before I start sending money to Calgary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what is the best turbo kit to buy?