Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI or not to FI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm very happy to be FI, 412 WHP on a X coupe is very nice. Total cost was $9600, Kit, installed and tuned.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ReStylin
I just went single turbo....

I cant wrench at all. So I had someone do all the work on my car.

Right now I am sitting at about $22,000 in costs for my build. But that includes JIC Magic Coilovers, custom titanium exhaust work, paint job etc etc etc. JUST for the FI part.. Prob around $16000 and Im still ironing things out.

Right now Im at a little over 400whp, and Im getting bored of it at times lol.
Yeah something about boost is addicting. You love it get used to it, then want more of it. It's like crack!! lol

Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I'm very happy to be FI, 412 WHP on a X coupe is very nice. Total cost was $9600, Kit, installed and tuned.
Very nice someone under 10k lol. How long have you had it on? Track the car much?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I shopped, horse traded, and scraped things together for my kit. I took my time and pieced it together finding deals along the way. Was never in a hurry to do it, so after about a year I had it all, and I did it (tuning included) for around $4000.
Put 402whp/325tq down

Car is streetable and mild mannered down low, and screams up top. The powerband is smoooooth and that makes the car very predictable. So auto-x and mountain runs are just as fun as 3-4 gear pulls getting onto the interstate.

I did all the work myself, except for tuning, though. So take that for what it's worth.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
I shopped, horse traded, and scraped things together for my kit. I took my time and pieced it together finding deals along the way. Was never in a hurry to do it, so after about a year I had it all, and I did it (tuning included) for around $4000.
Put 402whp/325tq down

Car is streetable and mild mannered down low, and screams up top. The powerband is smoooooth and that makes the car very predictable. So auto-x and mountain runs are just as fun as 3-4 gear pulls getting onto the interstate.

I did all the work myself, except for tuning, though. So take that for what it's worth.
I appreciate the info. Unfortunately I am not that mechanically inclined yet (working on it). I've started out doing the easy stuff like my intake and plenum spacer. Doing a turbo kit would be a challenge for sure. As for scrapping together a kit, I think I would rather buy one so that all the pieces fit well, but I'm glad it worked out!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Carnage
I appreciate the info. Unfortunately I am not that mechanically inclined yet (working on it). I've started out doing the easy stuff like my intake and plenum spacer. Doing a turbo kit would be a challenge for sure. As for scrapping together a kit, I think I would rather buy one so that all the pieces fit well, but I'm glad it worked out!
No, I bought the "kit" together. Blower, piping, brackets, pulley's intercooler etc. all as one. (damn near stole it, too... just have to be in the right place at the right time and have cash in hand. About once every 6-8 months a stupid good deal comes up and if you're financially prepared for it, you can snag a killer deal.)

Zeitronix Gauges, Kinetix Plenum, injectors, fuel pump, a few more t-clamps, vacuum hose(s), map sensor, wideband, wires, more belts, etc. all were separate. Just keep lots of zipties everywhere. lol

If you know how everything works, it's relatively simple. You'll spend more on the little nickle and dime stuff than you do on anything else, anyway.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM

I guess let me add in $1200-1500 for a spare long block. LOL

Btw, start learning now. Read all the threads you can, get into discussions, look at product install manuals etc. Learn learn learn learn.... knowledge is your best friend if you go FI.

Even if you AREN'T a mechanic, KNOWING how everything operates and functions is the key.

I've owned two turbo cars before my supercharged G, so thankfully I've already had my crash course. But knowing how everything works beforehand is definitely a plus.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 PM
I guess let me add in $1200-1500 for a spare long block. LOL

Btw, start learning now. Read all the threads you can, get into discussions, look at product install manuals etc. Learn learn learn learn.... knowledge is your best friend if you go FI.

Even if you AREN'T a mechanic, KNOWING how everything operates and functions is the key.

I've owned two turbo cars before my supercharged G, so thankfully I've already had my crash course. But knowing how everything works beforehand is definitely a plus.
Well I owned a neon-srt4 before this car and had the bottom end built and upgraded the turbo so I am pretty familiar with how FI works, installation is another story though. I usually research a lot before I buy a part or decide on something as big as FI as well.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah something about boost is addicting. You love it get used to it, then want more of it. It's like crack!! lol
lol crack.. i guess im an addict.. 640 whp and looking to make 700 whp on pump gas..

Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by nyqueenz
lol crack.. i guess im an addict.. 640 whp and looking to make 700 whp on pump gas..

Wow that's impressive. You don't have any knock at that high of a boost level on pump fuel? I figured I would tune for E85 at higher boost levels if I ever decided to go that high in whp.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:37 AM

I had a Prelude I went for big numbers with years and years ago before the Fast and the Furious came out. Hit 580whp, but probably spent enough money to buy a used Ferrari over 5-6 years. LOL Then immediately had bearing issues. Pulled the motor apart, got broken into while it was at the machine shop, had a bunch of stuff stolen, it hasn't been back together since.

In the end, the stories were worth it... the car being in the shop 11 months out of the year was not. hahaha

Hope you hit the 700 mark, man!

The following users liked this post:
nyqueenz (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Wow that's impressive. You don't have any knock at that high of a boost level on pump fuel? I figured I would tune for E85 at higher boost levels if I ever decided to go that high in whp.
i have a safe tune at 635 whp on 93/meth.. eng has no knock what so ever.. im runing dual fuel system with surge tank.. and my tuner is a beast with his skills..

on c16 im hitting like 745 whp.. but i would like to push it past 800whp soon.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
i have a safe tune at 635 whp on 93/meth.. eng has no knock what so ever.. im runing dual fuel system with surge tank.. and my tuner is a beast with his skills..

on c16 im hitting like 745 whp.. but i would like to push it past 800whp soon.
Ah I see you added meth. I kept thinking those were impressive numbers for just pump fuel without knock, but the meth explains it. Still impressive numbers I had my goal set for 600+ whp on my neon-srt4 but I got tired of spending money on it. Just seems like modifying cars is an endless cost!

I hope you get to your 800whp goal! What 1/4 mile time are you looking to hit?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM

You don't do the 1/4 in a car like that.

You do the Texas Mile. LOL

The following users liked this post:
nyqueenz (06-09-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 03:22 PM
You don't do the 1/4 in a car like that.

You do the Texas Mile. LOL
Personally I would be a little worried about going faster than what that thing can do in a 1/4. Been up to 160mph, and that was plenty fast!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.