Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI or not to FI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FI or not to FI?

I am considering to go FI on my G35 (2003 G35 Coupe 6MT). Not sure if I wanna go with a procharger or a turbo but I keep searching only to find lots of unhappy people who regretted going FI. I am looking at 350whp for a goal to stay away from breaking the rods.

Thoughts, are you happy with going FI? Also its a big cost too and I almost would rather find a FI car and add to it rather than make a car FI but eh I love my G

Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
If I could do it again- boosted performance single turbo kit.

And yes- I am one of those who not necessarily regret it as much as have been through a lot of trying times since I moved into the FI world.

More expensive than a sc but you won't stay happy with 350 for long and his turbo kit expands very easily. I'm quite certain he has one for the de non revup version with mt? He'd have to step in on that- I think he's short an AT version but MT should be fine?

Anyway as much as I hated the delays and the 30-40k it ended up costing in the end- I do smile now when I merge. Was it worth it just for a smile? Not by a long shot- but I think I gained a much better awareness of the car and the intricacies of modding these platforms. Also every now and then I see a guy in the same spot I was in a couple Decembers ago and my experience is valuable to him.

And hey... Turning the occasional head every now and then doesn't hurt my feelings either although funny enough girls don't even look at it. It's all dudes-

D'oh.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
If I could do it again- boosted performance single turbo kit.

And yes- I am one of those who not necessarily regret it as much as have been through a lot of trying times since I moved into the FI world.

More expensive than a sc but you won't stay happy with 350 for long and his turbo kit expands very easily. I'm quite certain he has one for the de non revup version with mt? He'd have to step in on that- I think he's short an AT version but MT should be fine?

Anyway as much as I hated the delays and the 30-40k it ended up costing in the end- I do smile now when I merge. Was it worth it just for a smile? Not by a long shot- but I think I gained a much better awareness of the car and the intricacies of modding these platforms. Also every now and then I see a guy in the same spot I was in a couple Decembers ago and my experience is valuable to him.

And hey... Turning the occasional head every now and then doesn't hurt my feelings either although funny enough girls don't even look at it. It's all dudes-

D'oh.
lol, yeah seems kids like my car, and ricers. 30-40k ouch!! 350whp is good. I used to own a neon srt4 and had 450whp with plenty of room to grow. The more hp I got the more DD I felt like I lost. It was freakin sweet at wot but around town not near as much fun. So again if I go FI looking for 350whp to try and be as safe as I can. The cost might deter me though, lol.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Eno
Mine was a typical "don't do it like this" scenario so it doesnt usually cost that much. And the BP single is probably the best bang for your buck kit there is. He (sasha) is boosted performance on my350z- worth checking out.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Mine was a typical "don't do it like this" scenario so it doesnt usually cost that much. And the BP single is probably the best bang for your buck kit there is. He (sasha) is boosted performance on my350z- worth checking out.
Okay well ty for the info I will have to think about that and check it out! I almost pulled the trigger on the momentum turbo kit but I'm rather glad I didn't as they went out of business fast!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Turbo installs cost some cheese. When I do my wife's G, I'll do a Vortech on the stock pulley. Osiris tune, 440 injectors, Walbro fp, call it a day. 350whp probably, be done with it.

I love my ProCharger but she couldn't handle the sound.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree with the BP single turbo kit. Easy to install, easy to maintain, easy to upgrade, solid design, great customer service. Any kit where you need to drop the motor to access will one day turn into a shop queen (if not from day 1 you make your decision)!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll go with BP and I've been waiting for his twin scroll design to come out. I found a good used Greddy TT and I'm ready to pull the trigger but the idea of dropping the motor is giving me nightmares.. It will will be a PITA to remove parts or replace parts on a TT.

If I have to do it over again, I will no doubt boost my car and stay around 350-400whp. I've been boosted for 5yrs with about 40K miles without a single issue (of course they are not all boosted miles :P). The only maintenance I have done is change my spark plugs every year and the regular oil change. But I know a few who had rebuilt their motor twice already so it's really a crap shoot.

Edit: some may jump on me... FI will always have issue, some will be minor and some are major. I'm one of the lucky ones that only had minor issues. In my case the worst was my injector started failing on low load (idle) but fine when cruising and WOT. Not bad after 5 years of running above 90% IDC

Last edited by FI'ed G; 06-06-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by FI'ed G
I'm one of the lucky ones that only had minor issues. In my case the worst was my injector started failing on low load (idle) but fine when cruising and WOT. Not bad after 5 years of running above 90% IDC
Yeah, I hate you. LOL

Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Eno
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
Yeah, I hate you. LOL
+1

Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
Turbo installs cost some cheese. When I do my wife's G, I'll do a Vortech on the stock pulley. Osiris tune, 440 injectors, Walbro fp, call it a day. 350whp probably, be done with it.

I love my ProCharger but she couldn't handle the sound.
Yeah the procharger has a nice sound to it, I've seen a coupe youtube vids. Its a hard decision I like to drive my car and not have it be a garage queen most of its life.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I'll go with BP and I've been waiting for his twin scroll design to come out. I found a good used Greddy TT and I'm ready to pull the trigger but the idea of dropping the motor is giving me nightmares.. It will will be a PITA to remove parts or replace parts on a TT.

If I have to do it over again, I will no doubt boost my car and stay around 350-400whp. I've been boosted for 5yrs with about 40K miles without a single issue (of course they are not all boosted miles :P). The only maintenance I have done is change my spark plugs every year and the regular oil change. But I know a few who had rebuilt their motor twice already so it's really a crap shoot.

Edit: some may jump on me... FI will always have issue, some will be minor and some are major. I'm one of the lucky ones that only had minor issues. In my case the worst was my injector started failing on low load (idle) but fine when cruising and WOT. Not bad after 5 years of running above 90% IDC
Yeah the idea of its a "crap shoot" doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the build. Even if you spend 10k-15k it might not even be enough to make your engine last a long enough time. I will most likely chicken out and stay N/A and live without that smile you get when you are FI and go WOT Or perhaps as these cars age it will get cheaper!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
/\ FI is not for everyone.. This been said a million times.. You got to pay to play... 10k-15k is nothing after everything is said and done. After the turbo kit, fuel, clutch, gauges, EMS, labor, tune..Etc 10K may not even cover it. Plus you need another 10k in the bank just in case $hi7 happens… I was in your shoes before but I did prepare myself for the worst… When you go FI just prepare to rebuild your motor, it can happen within a month or within the next 5 yrs.. Good luck

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
/\ FI is not for everyone.. This been said a million times.. You got to pay to play... 10k-15k is nothing after everything is said and done. After the turbo kit, fuel, clutch, gauges, EMS, labor, tune..Etc 10K may not even cover it. Plus you need another 10k in the bank just in case $hi7 happens… I was in your shoes before but I did prepare myself for the worst… When you go FI just prepare to rebuild your motor, it can happen within a month or within the next 5 yrs.. Good luck
Thank for the info, yeah I imagine FI is not for me then. I already have a good idea about the cost I was just hoping there was more positive results out there (more people happy than sad about going the FI route).

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
I agree with the BP single turbo kit. Easy to install, easy to maintain, easy to upgrade, solid design, great customer service. Any kit where you need to drop the motor to access will one day turn into a shop queen (if not from day 1 you make your decision)!
Shop queen eh... Sounds like my Stage 3 Audi S4..

I used to put aside $50 for every hour I drove it for the next "Problem" that would arise. haha...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.