Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI or not to FI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
why not go nitrous if you only want 350rwhp... u can get that with a few mods and a 75 shot... super reliable!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ReStylin
Shop queen eh... Sounds like my Stage 3 Audi S4..

I used to put aside $50 for every hour I drove it for the next "Problem" that would arise. haha...
I thought that was all Audi's......
*ziiiiiiiiiing*

Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by FI'ed G
When you go FI just prepare to rebuild your motor, it can happen within a month....
One month and 2,000 miles, to be exact. LOL

Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JuicinJake
why not go nitrous if you only want 350rwhp... u can get that with a few mods and a 75 shot... super reliable!
Yeah that's an idea too that I thought about. What I like about that idea is that it will be a great DD and I can just spray at the track. Unfortunately you have to fill the damn nitrous up but I've had nitrous before I referred to it as "the real vtec", lol. What I don't like about it is at the track for safety issues I think they make you drill a hole in your trunk just in case for an emergency vent. But that's a possible option.

Can anyone else chime in out nitrous?

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
One month and 2,000 miles, to be exact. LOL
HAHA!!! Well since it's nice to know exactly when I should expect it, that way you can give me the "I told ya so" hahaha!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage
I am considering to go FI on my G35 (2003 G35 Coupe 6MT). Not sure if I wanna go with a procharger or a turbo but I keep searching only to find lots of unhappy people who regretted going FI. I am looking at 350whp for a goal to stay away from breaking the rods.

Thoughts, are you happy with going FI? Also its a big cost too and I almost would rather find a FI car and add to it rather than make a car FI but eh I love my G
A Vortech SC with a conservative tune can easily hit 350whp. The instant torque from a turbo puts a lot of stress on the rods, with a SC it won't be nearly as bad. A Vortech setup thats professionally tuned should last a while on your car provided your engine is currently good.

Unless you use it for track use, do you really want to use nitrous on a DD? IMO, having the power available all the time is far better then constantly having to refill a bottle.

Last edited by herrschaft; 06-07-2012 at 10:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by herrschaft:
chink-ah-saur (06-07-2012), Silencer_0 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
A Vortech SC with a conservative tune can easily hit 350whp. The instant torque from a turbo puts a lot of stress on the rods, with a SC it won't be nearly as bad. A Vortech setup thats professionally tuned should last a while on your car provided your engine is currently good.

Unless you use it for track use, do you really want to use nitrous on a DD? IMO, having the power available all the time is far better then constantly having to refill a bottle.
I don't see an issue with having nitrous on a DD. Just store the bottle until you need it and have a separate tune for stock and nitrous. Its usually cheaper to install than both a SC or a turbo. The only annoying thing is having to refill the bottle. A vortech does sound like another good option. What stage vortech should be hitting around 350whp?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM

I have several friends with Vortech's over 400whp on stock blocks with zero issues.
("zero" being a relative term, based on other FI applications. As previously discussed, there is no such thing as "zero" issues. ha)

And squeeze? Nooooooooo thanks. Only if it's on my intercooler.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
If I were you brah I would get a leak down, compression check on the block before even thinking about moving forward. Being that your car is an 03 prob has a lot of miles and things could be very worn out by the time you plan on going F/I.

Comin from a person that went that route.. I think the best thing to do is really look at what your working with and if by any change your engine loses a qt of oil on a regular.. I wouldn’t go any further unless you plan to build.

Here is what I had to work with from the beginning; my DE was an 03 with 105k before the build. I would have been DOOMED if I didn’t go “build”… bearings were on their way out.

Last edited by nyqueenz; 06-08-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM
^^^Thanks for the info. I am sitting right around 48k on the odo so I don't have tons of mileage and I would imagine that is low for a 2003. The car has been N/A stock for its entire life until me and so far I've just done very very minor things for fun (JWT intake w/ztube MD Plenum Spacer). If I'm going as far as taking the block out to check it I might as well build it, lol. What would be ideal would be to get another block, build that and swap when the current one went bye bye, lol.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
^^^Thanks for the info. I am sitting right around 48k on the odo so I don't have tons of mileage and I would imagine that is low for a 2003. The car has been N/A stock for its entire life until me and so far I've just done very very minor things for fun (JWT intake w/ztube MD Plenum Spacer). If I'm going as far as taking the block out to check it I might as well build it, lol. What would be ideal would be to get another block, build that and swap when the current one went bye bye, lol.
I just went built from the start.. to make it really safe. Bottom line ist all gonna come down to the tuner hands and skill to get you were u wanna be. 350whp isn't nothing if your gonna go turbo i think your numbers will be around 380-400 at the wheels.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vortec here and have not had any issues. Previous owner had it installed so I can not comment on that but it has been great. I like that it is one of the safer ways to go.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
... I was just hoping there was more positive results out there (more people happy than sad about going the FI route).
I'm very happy with my boosted coupe...no regrets. Having said that, every build has its obstacles and there are no guarantees in FI.

I agree with what was said previously..do compression and leak down test before you invest in any sort of FI. Easy enough to do and doesn't require pulling the motor. Don't make any decisions based on assumptions (like my motor has low miles). Low miles doesn't necessarily mean a healthy motor. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I don't see an issue with having nitrous on a DD. Just store the bottle until you need it and have a separate tune for stock and nitrous. Its usually cheaper to install than both a SC or a turbo.
Its cheaper for a reason, I highly doubt your going to get the gains from nitrous compared to being FI. And those gains only last until the bottle is empty. Which is why I think its pointless unless used for tracking.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I just went single turbo....

I cant wrench at all. So I had someone do all the work on my car.

Right now I am sitting at about $22,000 in costs for my build. But that includes JIC Magic Coilovers, custom titanium exhaust work, paint job etc etc etc. JUST for the FI part.. Prob around $16000 and Im still ironing things out.

Right now Im at a little over 400whp, and Im getting bored of it at times lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.