Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Nooby nooberson learning to install single turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wasn't able to get much done today, having to find parts, borrow a friends jack (mine took a dump and wasn't usable) and running into a coupld of hiccups. So I spent most of the time relocating the power steering cooler which is much more difficult than I anticipated.

Heres the finished product. The white scratch marks are the residue from the bucket I used to catch the power steering fluid before I cleaned it off.

Tried to install the oil pan spacer, had some trouble getting the pan off (what kind of sealant does Nissan put on their oil pans, Adamantium RTV??? ) But while I was cleaning off the pan spacer I noticed something strange about the oil drain fitting. Here's a pic

Looks like it might have gotten dinged somehow. Don't think it will affect the flow but I'm running by the local shop in the morning to ask.

Tried to get the AC lines replaced but couldn't get the old line off. Found out I needed a 'special' disconnect tool and Autozone said they had one. Went and picked it up. Tried and tried, but no go. Worried either it isn't the right tool or I'm just super weak. Asking a few people, hopefully gets straightened out soon

And I couldn't get to the exhaust because of time, so I'll tackle that as soon as I'm done with these other little bits. I think I'm almost 1/4 of the way through

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-27-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by ibelonginprison
My only advice is keep doing what you're doing. Work slow and steady, take your time, read as much as you, ask questions after you've read everything.

If you've gotten this far, then just keep on moving. You can do it.
Also, oil in the plenum is normal. The pcv system chunks a bunch of it back in there.

Good luck to you!
Thanks for the encouragement and advice prison, I'm definitely not stopping now. Gonna see it through to the end

Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm no mechanic... that's for sure... but that is good advice. I have a lot of respect for the guys who take this on their own... very awesome work!

And right at that moment when you figure you feel like cutting a corner- or taking the low road... Go read my thread from front to back.

Then go back to doing it right.

The following users liked this post:
1pt21jiggawatts (06-30-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
And right at that moment when you figure you feel like cutting a corner- or taking the low road... Go read my thread from front to back.

Then go back to doing it right.
I'm not a mechanic either. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

That's good advice too. Right when you're frustrated and at the end and see a "shortcut" to getting it all done. Take a step back, deep breath, and then do it the right way.

fyi - if you have a little air grinder with a scuff pad makes short work of any of that rtv and makes the new application of rtv faster. Just don't go overboard!! lol

And... that connector looks fine. Some people are **** and might tell you to change it, I'm more practical and say spend the money on a t-clamp or something else. lol

Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Just picked up a brand new Uprev tuner version! Super deal too! Now all I gotta do is finish putting everything together

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Well other than picking up the Uprev and making sure the kink in the pan spacer was ok, wasn't able to do any work on the G today (darn jobs that require people to actually do work)

But on a good note, was able to read through ITNKICNs post and learn a hellava lot more than I knew when I woke up this morning. Luckily it looks like I'm on the right track, just have to make sure to take my time. And boy oh boy am I glad I decided to go single turbo instead of twins

As my grandpa used to tell me "The wise man learns from those before him"

Also as a side note, was looking around for a reputable shop other than GTM just out of curiosity, and after calling up a few places and talking to a few guys, Church's seems like a good alternative. And its about 40 miles closer, which means my AAA tow would cover it!!! We'll see after everythings in and working. It's the little things that make me happy

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-28-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Was looking through my garage and cleaning up a bit when I found an old box for my 350, inside were some Strups headers I never installed.

I can't believe I forgot about them...

It'll still be a pain in the *** to throw them on, but I figure since I'm already ***** deep might as well throw everything in!

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 07-01-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Premier Member

Received 417 Likes on 336 Posts
Church is a good tuner. You will be in good hands

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 1pt21jiggawatts
Well other than picking up the Uprev and making sure the kink in the pan spacer was ok, wasn't able to do any work on the G today (darn jobs that require people to actually do work)

But on a good note, was able to read through ITNKICNs post and learn a hellava lot more than I knew when I woke up this morning. Luckily it looks like I'm on the right track, just have to make sure to take my time. And boy oh boy am I glad I decided to go single turbo instead of twins

As my grandpa used to tell me "The wise man learns from those before him"

Also as a side note, was looking around for a reputable shop other than GTM just out of curiosity, and after calling up a few places and talking to a few guys, Church's seems like a good alternative. And its about 40 miles closer, which means my AAA tow would cover it!!! We'll see after everythings in and working. It's the little things that make me happy
Your good go to church's Shawn did the tune on that turbo kit when I had it. Just tell him to use my tune if he still has it. He tuned it early in 08 using uprev.

The turbo is only loud if you get on it normal cruising you can't hear it.

Also change that fitting on the spacer it got dinged somehow.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Unfortunately had to work late again so there was only enough time to take out the old exhaust for the turbo pipes

So the kit definitely doesn't work with my exhaust... Does anyone know where I can find a small reverse y-pipe that could work with the injen catback? I'm checking with the exhaust shop in town in the morn, but if someone knows a place that already makes em that would save me a little time. I like how it looks and prefer to keep them over having to throw the stock one back on.

Afterwards I wrapped up the piping

The zip ties are temp. Was too lazy to walk back to the garage and get the metal ones.

This was my first time doing any kind of heat wrapping so I had to look up some tutorials. I know it's possible to wrap too much so if anyone thinks this looks a little overdone, let me know. I'm letting them dry overnight and then spraying some DEI silicon coating over.

Other than that still couldn't get the frickin AC line out. Pretty sure the tool I got from autozone is too thick for the lines so I'm taking it back and getting the cheapo plastic ones. See if that works better.

If I can get that line off tomorrow and get the piping hooked along with the ICs, I should be about 3/5 of the way finished. That would only leave me with connecting the lines, wastegate, BOV, turbo, catch can, and of course getting the whole thing tuned with Osiris (which I'm going to mess around with on my own for a day or two before I take it to the real tuners).

No need to worry though, I won't be driving it around just want to start it up and get it running smooth, try to read some numbers and learn a bit about Osiris before I head to the tuner. That way I can ask the right questions while the professionals are doing their business.

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-30-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Well the cheapo plastic AC line removal tools did the job. All the lines are swapped and ready to be bent around the turbo

Threw the DEI silicon over the exhaust wraps on the piping. Here's how they look.

Had to rewrap the U-pipe so I'll be painting that first thing in the morn.

Talked to the exhaust shop about fabbing up a reverse Y-pipe. Gave them all the dimensions and they said they'll start Monday and should be done around Tuesday. Only $90! I think that's a pretty good deal. (would have been $60 if I didn't include the flanges)

Hoping to get most of the the piping in tomorrow with the intercoolers and hook up a few lines. Almost there!!!

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When using RTV use Honda Bond. In my opinion its the best RTV.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Originally Posted by YOG35C
When using RTV use Honda Bond. In my opinion its the best RTV.
What makes honda bond the best? I usually just used the NAPA brand RTV. There a big difference?

Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Looking good I had reverse y-pipe made when I had my Borla. Got rid of it when I changed exhaust.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1pt21jiggawatts
What makes honda bond the best? I usually just used the NAPA brand RTV. There a big difference?
HondaBond seals even with imperfections between the material. Permatex Ultra Grey works just as well as long as the surfaces or perfectly clean. I had to redo my oil pan spacer and went with HondaBond. Stoped all of my oil leaks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nooby nooberson learning to install single turbo