Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Nooby nooberson learning to install single turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
cool..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Hondabond is the business. Best kept secret of the VtAk circle, for sure.

Need to seal an oil pan? Hondabond.
Need to seal a valve or timing cover? Hondabond.
Need to mount a mirror to the wall in your bathroom? Hondabond.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
if you are running up to 600cc injectors, the car will start and run pretty well with no tune on it at all. there is enough compensation in the stock closed loop.

So absolutely zero reason to flatbed it or not drive it. You just want to stay outta boost until you take it to a tuner.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
It should run pretty good with those little 440cc, I would drive it with those.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Subbed. Good luck on the build!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been a few days since my last post just giving an update from all the little things I had to do.

Removed the steering knuckle to get the pipes in and they just wouldn't squeeze in there. Noticed there's a little tab on the transmission that prevented me from installing the pipes so I had to grind that little sucker off. Here's the little bastard before I took em out!

Wasn't too difficult after it was gone.

But getting the 2 header pipes to line up was a bitch!

The other car the kit was installed on was a 5AT and uses a different pipe than my 6MT. I'm pretty sure because the AT pipe was used it molded a little from all the heat and movement when it was installed So in order to get the MT pipe to fit I had to shave a few millimeters off the end of the pipe. Took about an hour and a whole lot of muscle to force it in and get it bolted down.

I thought I was in the clear until I tried to put the exhaust pipe in. Damn thing just wont fit in. I might have to shift the transmission over or remove the left side headers to get it in.

The exhaust is a 3"

But including the flange, it's impossible to fit into this little space

Also made sure to heat wrap the clutch line and AC lines since they'll be very close to the turbo pipes.

I haven't gotten the reverse y-pipe made yet because I'm not sure of the dimensions from the exhaust to catback. As soon as I can get the exhaust in, I'm getting it made.

Sometimes it's a little frustrating running into these small problems but that's just the way it goes with when you're working on cars Hopefully by next weekend I can have all the mechanical parts in and start getting to electrical (zeitronix, knock sensor, Uprev) Just gotta be patient

Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Keep at it. Good luck with everything!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Well it's been a few weeks since my last post so just wanted to update anyone that might be following.

The turbo, all the piping, WG, BOV, fuel pump, FMU, injectors, intercoolers, and filter are all in place. Here's a couple pics

Name:  20120809_160615.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  489.7 KB

Name:  20120809_160746.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  520.3 KB

The pics dont show the WG and BOV hoses hooked up but theyre all connected. I'm not using a boost controller for now so I left the WG top port open to the atmosphere

I haven't been able to keep updated because of summer school (which just finished last Friday) but I'll be working on it much more now. And a few weeks ago I came home to this

Name:  20120714_160835.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  479.3 KB

Some unknown peice of **** completely destroyed my paintjob on the entire left side of my car. And decided busting out my rear window would be a good idea. So getting all that fixed took about 2 weeks... Still not 100% sure who did it but word to the wise don't break up with your girlfriend while you're working on your car

Other than that I haven't been able to get the car to a lift to put in the exhaust pipe, since it's at such a weird angle there doesn't seem to be any other option.

Hooking up the wideband is next on the list along with the gauges and knock sensor. And I went ahead and picked up a water/meth injection kit. Snow Performance. This one right here
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2218
Looking at the instructions, the most difficult part of installation is going to be where to mount the pump and harness. But I'll get to that.

So far it's definitely been a learning experience and I'm not done yet. Can't wait to start her up for the first time when everything is done

Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
rofl--- "YOU LOVE THAT CAR MORE THAN ME"

Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
That fuking sucks and i would probably kill her and go to jail...but good luck with the car....and dont take my advice....please.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Hey everybody. Meant to get to this sooner but I'm in the final points of packing up for China. Flying out tonight so getting updates on here has been rough.

To let everyone know the kit is fully in and all the extras are hooked up! Took it to Church's on Friday and got it tuned! They have a legit squad over there and Shawn was super professional and easy to talk to. He answered all my questions and even gave me some tips on how to keep the car running smooth.

Once Shawn got it all up and running well, the car started spitting some white smoke after a full run so after a little Q&A we were able to determine that the oil drain needed to be higher than where it was (it's currently at the pan spacer which is near the bottom) After the car got out of boost, there wouldn't be any pressure to pump the oil out of the turbo so it would burn up and spit out the exhaust. Easy fix luckily. And my bank 2 sensor kacked out so I just replaced that. But other than that the car was giving good feedback and nothing exploded.

I wasn't thinking at the time but I wish I would have gotten some videos. But I took a pic of the results...

Here's the dyno sheet

Name:  20120831_214105.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  445.8 KB

At the end of the day, ended up with 379tq and 410hp, all on 7.5psi!!! Way more than I was expecting! and the power curves are nice and constant.

As soon as I got it out of the driveway I gave it full throttle and HOLY **** did it pull!!! Needless to say I was very very pleased. As an added bonus, on the drive back up the 1 highway, had brand new M3 pull up next to me and give me a little nudge to go. I just had to test it out... and of course the G ate it up. Then, about 30 mins later a Z06 pulls up and does the same... Unfortunately he pulled on me, but just barely. After that I babies it all the way home, didn't want to push my luck.

The car is a blast to drive again and I find reasons just to drive it around town. The only test now, is time and making sure I keep it going strong. I figure I can drive it like this for about a year then get the motor build up for some REAL POWER! But we'll see in a year

For those wondering about the install, it was a headache putting the kit in myself, especially since it was a slightly used kit (a brand new kit would have all the little things like bolts and clamps and hoses needed, which would have saved me a few days of searching). But after it was all done I get a 400hp beast and the knowledge to fix most any issue (hopefully there won't be too many) if they come up. And at less than half the cost of buying a kit and having someone else install it. But I can definitely see why people would pay to have it installed

And if anyone is interested I found out who keyed up the car. Lo and behold it was the ex Made her shell out some dough in the process so the damage came out of her pocket and not mine. Had to use a little legal persuasion and I guarantee she won't be pulling that **** anymore. Then gave her the final once through, and sent that bitch on her way!

Well thanks everyone for your help and if anyone has any questions about the kit or the process in general, PM me and I'll be glad to answer.

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 09-02-2012 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UMG35 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Enjoy the trip bro and did you get one last session out of your ex or just a "paint" job

edit: Good looking numbers and post pics of the ex to get even...obviously NSFW pics

Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Awesome work. A lot more gratifying when you did the work yourself. I have a lot of respect for that! As for the ex... Wow! That is such an 80s way of lashing out at you but it sounds like you were the bigger person.

The most important thing about numbers is that you're happy with how it pulls. You didn't expect numbers that high- well... There is probably a reason for that. Same reason a guy with only bolt on mods makes 300hp on that dyno- it is a higher reading Dyno and I'm sure that comment is coming.

But either way that doesn't matter provided you get the pull you want and a little insight on how to ensure some longevity.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Awesome work. A lot more gratifying when you did the work yourself. I have a lot of respect for that! As for the ex... Wow! That is such an 80s way of lashing out at you but it sounds like you were the bigger person.

The most important thing about numbers is that you're happy with how it pulls. You didn't expect numbers that high- well... There is probably a reason for that. Same reason a guy with only bolt on mods makes 300hp on that dyno- it is a higher reading Dyno and I'm sure that comment is coming.

But either way that doesn't matter provided you get the pull you want and a little insight on how to ensure some longevity.
Originally Posted by ITNKICN

Took the words right out of my mouth. Good effort, and good that your satisfied.....Churches runs Dynohub reading, so on a dynojet (more common) your looking around 360-370rwhp I'd guess.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrats on the new power! Just curious if these numbers are with the snow perf kit hooked up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nooby nooberson learning to install single turbo