Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Nooby nooberson learning to install single turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nooby nooberson learning to install single turbo

This is my first major post since I finally have some time to work on an FI setup I've wanted to do for a couple of years. I thought about posting this up on My350 but I worry about the maturity level of that forum... but if it comes to it I will put it up there. So here's my scenario:

I've been looking into going FI for a few years now, reading bits and pieces, helping a friend put together his Single Turbo S2000, checking prices, reading more, and I decided I wanted to go through the rough process of installing a turbo setup myself (pretty much everything up to the tune. I've been reading Greg Banish's book on Advanced Tuning but I'm not too comfortable with screwing up the cars computer just yet) I have an 03 coupe with over 100k miles on a DE motor, Injen SES exhaust, JWT flywheel and clutch, 5/16” motordyne plenum spacer, short shifter, BC coilovers, and a few other things to make the car look pretty. I take good care of the car but I drive it like I stole it. Bought it used in 07 with 60k miles. This is the last thing I want to do to the car before I sell it and hopefully have enough to pick up a g37 or maybe I'll wait for the 2014 IPL twin turbo G37... yea right

Anyhoo, last year I found a local guy on Driver that was selling a ST kit for stupid cheap, he needed it gone and I said what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

Not the greatest looking kit in the world but here it is:
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...turbo-kit.html
Gee805 was really cool about the whole thing, gave me the lowdown on what was wrong with the kit, what was missing etc. Unfortunately Gee is a busy man and has a lot of other priorities so myself and a good friend, who is employed at a local shop that only does work on domestics, will be putting this monstrosity together.

As you can see it ain't new and has been used. I hooked up an air compressor to all the piping to make sure there weren't any leaks. They checked good. Took the “good” turbo to a local shop to see if it needed a rebuild. It checked good. All the parts and pieces were there, except injectors (I have a set 440cc now). Gee805 also said the AC lines probably need to be replaced so I picked up some along with 1 step colder NGK spark plugs. And I'll be re-wrapping pipes. It seems like it should be ok to get about 360-380 whp. I don't really care for crazy amounts of power, this is really a learning experience more than anything. If I can get it to run smoothly and have a little more umph to boot, I'll be happy.

Kit has a knock sensor by J&S, a ZT-2, and a “tuning box unit” that I'm not sure the brand, originally came with a Greddy Emanage Ultimate, but the box doesn't look like the Emanage (pics below)... Gee805 never installed it on his car so its only been on 1 other vehicle and sat around since it was taken off.

Here's 2 other posts of the kit
https://g35driver.com/forums/archive...turbo-kit.html
http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...installed.html

It's an Eternal Motorsport kit, and except for the dual intercoolers, seems very similar to the Turbonetics ST kit. I tried getting in contact with Eternal but the numbers online are disconnected so I figured they probably moved or went out of business, either way I can't get basic installation instructions from them so I have to wing it.

I'm not experienced in FI but I have some good mechanical knowledge (4 years as a crew chief in the military). So I'm taking this as a learning experience. I've always wanted to learn the ins and outs of forced induction and this seems like a good way. I've taken the car autocrossing a few times and might go get ¼ mile times if it doesn't blow up

I finally have the time to do this and I'm hoping to install/tune/drive the finished product before I leave for Hong Kong at the end of August (doing a semester abroad). I plan on installing the kit then taking it to GTM Motorsports for the tune before I actually drive it, don't want to run the risk of blowing something up and I have a sv650 so getting around wont be too difficult while I work on the car.

Basically just wondering if anyone has any info on the installation setup. Couldn't find any DIYs on Driver or My350 or the anyplace online for the Eternal kit or the Turbonetics kit. And considering My350 has nothing but bad things to say about the Turbonetics kit, I want to make sure I do this right the first time

I'll keep updating with pics and comments for the process in case anyone else is interested, curious, or wants some entertainment when I screw something up

TL;DR
Bought an Eternal Motorsports kit for 03 g35, going to install it myself but instructions online are shoddy at best. Also need to figure out what kind of “tuning box” came with the kit (pics below). Any advice, warnings, or criticism would be great. And if anyone has a good source for a turbo blanket (unless you think it's unnecessary)

Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Got home late tonight so I tried to get some work done before it got too late. Pretty much just took everything out I could in the time. Bumper, intake, and plenums. Taped all the holes up and shut her down. Will start back up in the morn.

Does anyone know if it's easier or if it makes any difference to remove the radiator for install? Not sure if everything will fit in as smooth as I'm hoping.

Didn't think to take pics, but I'll get some in the morning. Glad it's the weekend.

Found the installation instructions for turbonetics kit
http://www.turboneticsinc.com/node/252

Matching up parts to see how close it is. Hopefully everything but the intercooler

Also the Tial WG and BOV installation, which are in different postions than the turbonetics kit
http://www.tialsport.com/techincal.htm

At one point it looks like a version of the kit came with the MAP-ECU, still doesn't look like the black box I have.

Edit: Didn't mention before but my G is manual tranny.

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-23-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 06-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
The tuning device is a "split second box" an old school set up, Jim Wolf TT kits use them I think vortech supercharges might as well. If you are going to GTM forget the SS box and get an "up-rev" ECU reflash. Good luck.

It might help to look at power lab, momentum or S&R turbo installs they all seem fairly similar single turbo kits.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sylvan lake V35:
1pt21jiggawatts (06-27-2012), nyqueenz (06-26-2012), Swivel (06-24-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd say the same thing. Forget the box and get it tuned

The following users liked this post:
1pt21jiggawatts (06-27-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
thanks Sylvan and Freakta.

I'll be ditching the SS box and just getting the ECU reflashed. Is it worth it to go the more expensive route and buy the Osiris tuner package if I end up getting a G37? Does the license transfer to a different car?

Checked out the Powerlab, S&R and momentum kits. Part for part, looks like the Powerlab kit is the closest match

Powerlab Kit
- Garrett GT35R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo with .82 A/R Turbine (1.03 A/R Recommended for built engines)
- TiAL MV-R (44mm) External Wastegate
- TiAL 50mm Q Blow-off Valve
- 23 1/2"x12"x4" Front Mount Intercooler
- Polished Stainless Steel Exhaust Piping with 3" Downpipe
- Polished Aluminum Intercooler Piping
- CNC Billet Aluminum High Capacity Oil Pan Spacer
- New Custom Extended A/C Line
- Stainless Braided Oil Feed and Return Lines
- All Necessary Hardware and Installation Instructions
- 600cc (Set of 6 direct fit) Deatschwerks Injectors
- TurboXS Engine Management Unit
- TurboXS MAP Sensor
- Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump

Eternal Motorsport Kit
-Dual BB GT35R
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-Tial 44MM WG
-Tial 50MM BOV
-Aeromotive FPR
-Emanage Ultimate w/complete harness wired to autosport harness (plug and play)
-2 custom black thermal coated ICs
-Custom black coated IC piping
-440CC injectors
-1 step colder plugs (NGK)
-3in cat
-JWT Oil Pan Spacer

Heres some pics of the Eternal Kit installed on Dsskylines G (not mine)

Here's the Powerlab Kit from the site

Basically I've been googling for over an hour trying to fing the Powerlab install instructions without success. The Turbonetics instructions are straight forward, and from what I can tell, wastegate and blow off are positioned differently.

Layed out the kit this morning and tried to run the install through my mind. Simple stuff until I get to tapping the oil pan, not super comfortable with doing that until I know for certain the install will work.

Taking a break to reaserch the powerlab kit now, but I'll be going out to check how the exhaust lines up. A little worried that the Injen exhaust might have to be swapped

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-24-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: not my kit installed
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Spent the day reading the Turbonetcis manual about 20 times and looking over the G about 50 times. Looks like the exhaust won't work with the pipes, which kind of expected. Won't be 100% sure until I hook everything up.

Pulled out the back seats to check the fuel pump and noticed the fuel pump assembly that came with the kit has an extra wire on it which is connected to what looks like a sensor, possibly fuel temp. Heres a pic

Connected to this sensor

Original fuel pump assembly, still in car

Anybody know exactly what that wire and sensor are?

On a postive, the kit came with a oil pan spacer (which I completely forgot was part of the package ) so I won't be tapping the oil pan.

And for good measure here's a pic of the engine bay in its current form

Waiting to install the injectors until I have the ECU on its way to get flashed. Luckily there's a shop about 40 minutes away thats an Uprev dealer

Last edited by 1pt21jiggawatts; 06-24-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: mispelled words
Old 06-24-2012, 01:13 AM
So I'm definitely started to realize this is a big project, and I still don't know as much as I need to, but I'm going to stick it through t the end. Worse comes to worse I have to put my car back together and leave knowing I learned a little bit more about the G35...

Hopefully though, I can leave knowing I just installed a turbo charger correctly and now have an even more fun car to drive around town.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:24 AM
That's not a sensor, is the line hollow? It goes to a boost reference it is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. As the boost increases it increases fuel pressure. It helps a smaller fuel pump put out more.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 06-24-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
That's not a sensor, is the line hollow? It goes to a boost reference it is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. As the boost increases it increases fuel pressure. It helps a smaller fuel pump put out more.
You're right, it is hollow. Thought there was a wire running through it. Read up on rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Is it a good thing to have even with the Walbro 255 pump? Or is it overkill for my plans?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Woke up thinking about a little oil I had seen when removing the plenums and thought to check the spark plugs, since I'll have to replace them anyways. Lo and behold

It's not as bad as I've seen some other G's but it's definitely getting fixed.

Unfortunately the stealership is closed on Sundays so I'll be ordering the new valve covers tomorrow.

And Specialty Z, the shop near my house, is out of the country until the 27th So I'll be waiting a few more days for the ECU flash. Figure it will be easier to take the ECU there to flash and get it back than having to mail it anyplace.

datbeans (06-26-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM
You get your Ecu flash after everything is installed, so I think you are a long way from needing that. You don't mail it anywhere they plug into the OBDII port and flash it right in the car.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
You get your Ecu flash after everything is installed, so I think you are a long way from needing that. You don't mail it anywhere they plug into the OBDII port and flash it right in the car.
That makes sense. But is it safe to drive the car without the ECU programmed to compensate for the extra air and fuel? Or does that not factor in as long as I stay out of boost?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Resident G35Driver Pirate

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
My only advice is keep doing what you're doing. Work slow and steady, take your time, read as much as you, ask questions after you've read everything.

If you've gotten this far, then just keep on moving. You can do it.
Also, oil in the plenum is normal. The pcv system chunks a bunch of it back in there.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by 1pt21jiggawatts
That makes sense. But is it safe to drive the car without the ECU programmed to compensate for the extra air and fuel? Or does that not factor in as long as I stay out of boost?
If you are changing injectors it likely wont run worth a crap if at all, typically they can send you a base map to get the car running. Always stay out of boost until after the tune, worst case trailer the car to the tuner my car has made several $150 flat bed rides to my tuner.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Was able to get some things put in the car today. A little happy about it.

Replaced the old valve cover with a new one

Along with the 1 step colder spark plugs

Swapped the injectors for the Denso 440cc injectors

And threw the Walbro pump in along with the assembly that came with the kit. So there's a hose coming off the fuel pump assembly for the rising rate fuel pressure regulator, that I'm still figuring out. Does it run all the way to the engine bay and pump fuel or is it just for pressure reading and needs to be hooked up to another regulator?

Turbonetics kit installation says to drill holes in the fuel pump assembly to make sure fuel always gets to the pump. I didn't realize until after I installed the pump, but do I need that even with the rising rate fuel pressure regulator?

All in all I still have a long way to go.

Here's a shot of the engine bay with valve cover, injectors and spark plug installed. Looks weird with one side all nice and brand new

Would have gotten more done if I didn't spend an hour looking for the little plastic spacers for the fuel rail bolt that fell off when I went to remove the fuel rail. Found it down the driveway sitting in the gutter! Rolled all the way down and turned just enough to sit right next to the curb. Gotta love the little things

Hoping to get to the exhaust tomorrow and start rerouting the AC lines and power steering. Wont be able to work on it Wednesday so I'll try to get as much finished up as I can.

datbeans (06-26-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nooby nooberson learning to install single turbo