Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

rcdash v2.0 (Dynosty)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by rcdash
^ it's always fun stomping on 6MTs Now I am going to be one of the "slow shifters".

Ok, i've gotten a number of PMs on my motor and trans already, so let me just post it here.

The transmission is from a 2004.5 G35 coupe (TCM integrated into the valve body) and it is a fully built GTM stage 3 trans (valve body, torque converter, rebuilt internals with clutch packs, bands, etc) that has had fluid changes every 5-6k miles and has 25k miles on it. It will be drained of fluid and available to ship at the end of Nov. Asking price will be $2500+freight shipping (~$400 to USA) when posted to marketplace. If you put a deposit down in advance, I'll let it go for $2k + shipping.

The motor will be a long block and the original that came with my car. The motor originally had 25k miles on it when built. Now it has an additional 25k miles. It has a FP S1 shortblock with Eagle rods, Arias ED pistons, JWT S2 cams. I have the full invoice from Forged if you want to see all the little parts like Cosworth bearings etc. Asking price for the long block will also be $2500 + freight shipping (assuming that the compression test results come back sound). The car makes solid power and burns minimal oil for a "loose" race motor, so I'm sure it'll be fine, but I will pay Dynosty to do the test and I will post it. The motor will likely not be available until mid-Dec.
Wow, so a new block and transmission. Your thoughts on not just getting into a GT-R. A platform designed for boost.

Old 12-04-2012 | 03:09 AM
Eno
I've been following over in my350z... Hope you keep up your great work in documenting the changes that are being made. I don't know I'll ever REALLY be a car guy- but I've always appreciated your threads. I like that you don't mind walking guys through the process at ground level... which unfortunately is the only way I understand it.

Dynosty is just kicking @ss right now... I'm looking forward to a success story!

Old 12-05-2012 | 10:39 AM
|
^ thanks and no worries. In it for fun and it's more fun to share.

Originally Posted by YOG35C
Wow, so a new block and transmission. Your thoughts on not just getting into a GT-R. A platform designed for boost.
I don't like the way a GTR looks (sorry, just my opinion, much prefer Gs and Zs over the GTR). If it looked more aerodynamic and well, sporty, I would've probably gotten one. It would also mean learning the ins and outs of a new car all over again, which is ok I guess but I know my car so well I can troubleshoot most things myself. The GTR community is much smaller. And a stock GTR is kinda slow, so that'd mean it'd be a downgrade in performance for me... Getting 800 whp out of a GTR isn't cheap either.

I was faster than a stock GTR with my old set up:

Last edited by rcdash; 12-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JaE35 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012 | 01:56 PM
XKR
I feel the same way about the GTR...I have tried to like them for a few years now...dealer even gave me a demo to try for a week...I like the rear of the car...but I hate the way the front looks I do like the way the car drives though. I will wait to see what the 2014 model looks like

Old 03-03-2013 | 02:15 PM
|
Quick update:

1. Visited Dynosty and went through a complete run down with Hal and Eddie. They spent half a day with me going through every detail. The work is looking really good - great attention to detail and the work is almost complete. Only major part missing is the ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft and that should arrive by next week.

2. Decided on the RPS billet carbon/carbon clutch based on feedback from the supra community and selected the steel vs the aluminum flywheel to minimize noise/chatter and enhance driveability. Hopefully with the RJM bracket, I shouldn't have too much trouble going back to a 6MT after so many years in a 5AT .

3. Fuel system finalized with CJM's new dual 485/255 pump. Will run at 40 psi base fuel pressure with ID 2000cc injectors (1300cc would have been perfect for an 800 whp target on E85, but sadly the release for those appear delayed). Got rid of the boost-a-pump and complex dual voltage wiring. My HKS 1000cc injectors are for sale if anyone is looking for injectors, these idled like stock for me at 750 rpms - click here. (I will soon have my Haltech and harness, stock ECU and harness, CJM stage 2 fuel system minus the rails, among other parts for sale).

4. Both my 5AT and previous built motor have sold. The cause of the low compression was found and it appears to be a piston ring issue. Nothing to do with fueling, not detonation related, and everything else looked fine. The engine builder doing the work locally for the buyer speculated that a piston ring was installed upside down on that piston. I find it hard to believe that the motor was fine for so long with an improperly installed ring but I am not an expert. Anyway, I appreciate getting the feedback and knowing that the block should be fixed up and running shortly without too much expense.

Now that fueling has been addressed, we'll soon see what twin GTX2867 turbos can do with equal length turbo manifolds and a fully ported head!

Few teaser pics:

And decided to give the Cosworth one more try (getting the end caps powdercoated black):

JaE35 (03-03-2013)
Old 04-11-2013 | 08:12 PM
|
Car is almost ready for the dyno!!!

Have a few goodies available at a great deal:

1. Haltech

2. Osiris Tuner

Old 06-12-2013 | 07:13 PM
How's the car coming along?

Old 06-12-2013 | 08:58 PM
|
It finished up awhile ago, in time for ZdayZ and I had a blast with it. It's taking some time to learn how to shift quickly under boost, but it really is a fun car. I have an Exotic Air cup suspension in the front that allows me to raise the front 3 inches as needed, otherwise it runs low. Fixing some of the air tank hook up (my first attempt with regular thread sealant wouldnt hold 200 psi!). Installing an alarm. Looking forward to driving it all summer!

93 pump gas dyno below. It's nice not having to worry about my 5AT anymore, though getting fast with 6MT shifts is definitely going to take some practice. The 5AT required no skill.

93 octane pump gas map with exhaust cut outs open (max pump gas power at 17 psi).
Name:  rcdashv3-dyno1-93_zps8a29508d.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  127.5 KB

e85 maps with boost peaking at 24 psi and dropping to 20 psi at redline (max torque map).
Name:  dyno25-taperto-20e85vs17psi93octpump_zps9b624524.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  154.3 KB

Final e85 dyno curve with ramp up in boost from 17 psi to 25 psi at 6k rpms and up (to help with traction!):
Name:  FinalDynocurveMay2013_zps62aea44b.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  226.9 KB

3.5L non-sleeved Dynosty motor, Kelford 272 cams, twin GTX2867 turbos on a custom Dynosty built turbo kit using SFR 321 stainless headers. RPS Billet twin carbon clutch rated at 750 wtq with billet steel flywheel.

Many thanks to the Dynosty team. They really did a great job and I have lots of pics to post. I want to spend a couple more weeks learning the car before putting up a full review. Videos and pics to follow in July

Last edited by rcdash; 06-12-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2013 | 10:43 PM
Eno
What's the hit on your driving freedom? Find the shifting a pain at all?

I don't mind The thought of learning how to shift efficiently with massive power- my biggest issue would be the fact that 95% of my driving is casual.

I guess now that you're into ridiculous numbers you drive the car less during your normal routine? Or do you drive it the same?

You're power gains post AT are really impressive. AT is truly a sponge when it comes to power but I'm so freakin lazy I think it's a price I'm destined to pay.

Old 06-13-2013 | 08:21 AM
|
If you drive in stop and go traffic, there is no point having a car like this. Drive an auto. That said, this car is much more fun to drive. It is quiet, smooth, balanced and runs so strong. Even when spinning my RE-11s the car stays straight. Had a blast in the mountains. I do fear the erroneous 3-2 shift at redline but I'm trying to get into the habit of using the back of my hand for all shifts above 2nd gear...

I have the RJM clutch pedal enhancement so I don't know what stock is like, but I have no complaints about my clutch. I plan to daily drive once I get my alarm figured out. That was a bigger wiring job than I initially thought it would be, mostly because of all the misinformation on the Internet. I am verifying every connection via my FSM.

Eno (06-18-2013)
Old 06-20-2013 | 07:23 PM
Amazing work Raj and great that you had Dynosty to make this come true. I should have followed your build more closely but the past year I've been completely out of it. Are you still running the tall boy and MD exhaust?

Old 06-21-2013 | 12:01 AM
|
No, never had the tall boy, only plenum I hadn't tried . Back to Cosworth with aluminum end caps. Sold the MD as it was still too loud for me. Exhaust is a full custom 3" true dual with G37 muffler (modified for 3" inlets) and 4 cats. Very quiet and with minimal power loss even at high boost (pre-cat cut outs only add 20-30 whp).

Old 06-21-2013 | 11:23 PM
|
Hey my car was posted up on the Dynosty blog. Check it out here. Stole a few pics below. More to come...

Stock interior, kind of
Name:  RD_G35_interior_6speed_conversion_zps3d12cda8.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  RD_G35_built_vq35_twin_turbo_engine_bay_zps1c6c382e.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  206.8 KB

Bilstein PSS10 with Exotic Air cup kit up front.
Name:  RD_bilstein_exotic_air_combo_zpseb41fde5.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  135.7 KB[/URL]

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
Name:  RD_VQ35_rps_carbon_carbon_twin_disc_clutch_zpsbcdce550.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  114.9 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by rcdash:
bigc (06-22-2013), JaE35 (06-22-2013)
Old 06-22-2013 | 12:02 AM
G35 Sedan
Premier Member
so awesome!

Old 06-22-2013 | 01:28 AM
Hold The Line
Premier Member
Do you still have the long block?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rcdash v2.0 (Dynosty)