Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

470 WHP @ 10.5 psi - G35 TT what a hoot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:10 AM
aps
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
470 WHP @ 10.5 psi - G35 TT what a hoot

Hi Guys, I thought I let you guys know that our head dyno tuner fitted up some test pipes today on the APS TT equipped G35 and gave the engine a slight re-tune, at approx 10.5 PSI turbo pressure the G35 VQ engine produced 470.2 WHP.

I will post a power graph tomorrow, I'm off for a test drive now.

Peter

Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
that's more than doubled stock hp - so you are pushing around 560hp at the crank?

Old 03-21-2005, 01:24 AM
aps
Banned
Originally Posted by Sukairain
that's more than doubled stock hp - so you are pushing around 560hp at the crank?
Gee your power figure of 560 Horsepower is amazingly close, our dyno at APS provides an estimated crank power figure, the figure it provides is 565 Horsepower at the crank (estimated not fact).

Thanks

Peter

Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by aps
Hi Guys, I thought I let you guys know that our head dyno tuner fitted up some test pipes today on the APS TT equipped G35 and gave the engine a slight re-tune, at approx 10.5 PSI turbo pressure the G35 VQ engine produced 470.2 WHP.

I will post a power graph tomorrow, I'm off for a test drive now.

Peter
Peter,
So that was done with only test pipes and aps exhaust on stock VQ?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:24 AM
aps
Banned
Originally Posted by GXCLUSIV
Peter,
So that was done with only test pipes and aps exhaust on stock VQ?
Yeah a dead stock VQ G35 engine, no after market rods, pistons, bigger camshafts, or cyl head porting, just a dead stock VQ G35 engine on 93 octane fuel.

Peter

Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 AM
10.5 psi? is that safe for daily driving? how bout a power graph for daily driving with 91 octane since we dont have 93 here... is there even a big difference? =)

Old 03-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt think thats safe but its great to seee that this kit can "getterdone" lol Im def excited..

Old 03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anbakookie
10.5 psi? is that safe for daily driving? how bout a power graph for daily driving with 91 octane since we dont have 93 here... is there even a big difference? =)
I think safe is relative right now when it comes to these engines. A year ago 380whp was considered unsafe for the VQ, now the comfort level is up to 400-420whp and rising. I think as time goes on we'll find that the rods and pistons really arent that bad and that it was other issues that need to be addressed. (lack of sufficient oil , CAS wire, engine temperatures, timing, etc.)
Even with forged internals it is still possible to blow an engine without proper installation and tuning. just my .02

I think I am most amazed that they are able to reach those hp levels with the stock bumper and not have cooling issues. If this is the case there will be some sleepers roaming the streets as it would be very difficult to identify the intercooler.

Last edited by tony; 03-21-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by tony
I think safe is relative right now when it comes to these engines. A year ago 380whp was considered unsafe for the VQ, now the comfort level is up to 400-420whp and rising. I think as time goes on we'll find that the rods and pistons really arent that bad and that it was other issues that need to be addressed. (lack of sufficient oil , CAS wire, engine temperatures, timing, etc.)
Even with forged internals it is still possible to blow an engine without proper installation and tuning. just my .02

I think I am most amazed that they are able to reach those hp levels with the stock bumper and not have cooling issues. If this is the case there will be some sleepers roaming the streets as it would be very difficult to identify the intercooler.

^^ Agreed to above statement.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Never enough
Wow thats a lot of HP! GXCLUSIV you going with them?

Old 03-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by G352NV
Wow thats a lot of HP! GXCLUSIV you going with them?
Most likely. Already talked with a shop to possibly fit 350z version on my G. The supplemental parts for G is only around $130, so it does not sound like anything major. Also upgrading the Cam same time. Just depends if shop can fab the z version or to just wait for parts from APS.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
aps
Banned
10.5 psi? is that safe for daily driving?
Only time and more testing wil prove this way way or another and for the moment I would not recommend the guys don't push this far unless you have the money to build an engine.

I was just so impressed with how easy the stock VQ engine makes this amount of power with the base APS TT system, this 470 WHP is with dead stock heads and cams, obviously this VQ engine has very good cyl head flow in stock form.

how bout a power graph for daily driving with 91 octane since we dont have 93 here... is there even a big difference? =)
I very much doubt that 10.5 PSI would be safe on 91 octane fuel (at the stock comp ratio) though I will check to see what's possible over the coming weeks.

I suspect that the boost pressure will need to be lowered and or additional timing removed to run the engine near this power level on 91 0ctane fuel.

Thanks

Peter

Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
aps
Banned
Originally Posted by paranormal
i wouldnt think thats safe but its great to seee that this kit can "getterdone" lol Im def excited..
I guess that was the point to this excercise, just to see what Horsepower was possible from the APS Twin Turbo system on 93 octane fuel without having to run insane boost pressure, it's remarkable just how easy the VQ engine made the 470 wheel Horsepower.

Peter

Old 03-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Question peter

peter will the tt kit work successfully on a 05 350z 35th edition ?did they test it already?
thx
mike

Old 03-21-2005, 03:38 PM
aps
Banned
I think safe is relative right now when it comes to these engines. A year ago 380whp was considered unsafe for the VQ, now the comfort level is up to 400-420whp and rising.
I feel that much of the engine safety issues obviously comes down to how well engineered the FI product is, if the FI system addresses all of the critical technical issues then 400 WHP should not be a problem.
I guess this issue also depends on the fuel octane as you can't run the same high power level safely on 91 octane fuel as you can on 93/94 octane fuel.
I think as time goes on we'll find that the rods and pistons really arent that bad and that it was other issues that need to be addressed. (lack of sufficient oil , CAS wire, engine temperatures, timing, etc.)
I agree, I'm sure that you're correct, the stock pistons and rods in fact are very good quality (as long as you do want to alter the static comp ratio) and as long as you don't raise the rpm limit over stock I'm very confident that the stock rods will survive at around 400 WHP for a good deal of time.
I've always been amazed when a con rod breaks most people/techs just say that the rod is weak rather than going to the trouble of diagnosing the real cause of the rod failure, I've seen this many times over the years on many different engines and rarely is the con rod weak or the REAL problem imho.
I hope that I have not mislead you into thinking that the stock G35 bumper is suitable for this very high power level, (470 WHP) this was never my intention. I would recommend that you install a new front bumper with a much larger frontal opening if you intend running at this elevated power level for any extended time frame, always better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks

Peter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 470 WHP @ 10.5 psi - G35 TT what a hoot