Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Would a Vortec SC affect Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you read Corkie Bell's book, Supercharged!, you'll know that hoping a supercharger will improve gas mileage is like believing in a perpetual motion machine. Anything in the system that results in heat being created causes MPG loss (like heat out an intercooler, heat from drive belts, heat from the oil system, etc.)--and that truly is "end of story"!

Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
WRAH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gersteinp
If you read Corkie Bell's book, Supercharged!, you'll know that hoping a supercharger will improve gas mileage is like believing in a perpetual motion machine. Anything in the system that results in heat being created causes MPG loss (like heat out an intercooler, heat from drive belts, heat from the oil system, etc.)--and that truly is "end of story"!
.....& I can find million of sources that state FI setups tuned correctly improve MPG. Look up combustion, efficiency, fuel air ratios.

thats like saying "(like heat out an intercooler, heat from drive belts, heat from the oil system, etc.)" will decrease HP more so than if you don't have FI!

Last edited by WRAH; 04-03-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Never enough
Well, I THINK and its just me. That Turbos help with HP. BUT a SC takes power to make power, I think around town you will get worse millage but on the Highway you will get better millage.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:20 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by G352NV
Well, I THINK and its just me. That Turbos help with HP. BUT a SC takes power to make power, I think around town you will get worse millage but on the Highway you will get better millage.
but see the problem w/ the taking power to make power argument is you are getting more power than you started with. Increasing HP

The increase HP isn't just because your buring more fuel, its because your getting more bang for your buck. Burning your fuel more efficiently. More air for your fuel to burn, and less unburnt fuel.

A really rich mixture is wasting fuel and MPG will drop. But a tuned "safe" SC or TC is more efficient than a NA engine, thus better MPG!

Old 04-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Never enough
Dunno if you've been in a SC G but boost doesnt kick in until 3k. Around town I hardly boost. So the car is working harder to turn that blower. Ive now owned both, turbo and SC'er and the Turbo got better gas millage. BUT I dint buy the kit for better millage. You can post until you drop and Im not going to buy the better MPG. Its just not going to happen.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by G352NV
Dunno if you've been in a SC G but boost doesnt kick in until 3k. Around town I hardly boost. So the car is working harder to turn that blower. Ive now owned both, turbo and SC'er and the Turbo got better gas millage. BUT I dint buy the kit for better millage. You can post until you drop and Im not going to buy the better MPG. Its just not going to happen.
Thats okay I didn't really feel like fighting about this topic anyway!

Old 04-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by WRAH
.....& I can find million of sources that state FI setups tuned correctly improve MPG. Look up combustion, efficiency, fuel air ratios.

thats like saying "(like heat out an intercooler, heat from drive belts, heat from the oil system, etc.)" will decrease HP more so than if you don't have FI!
The "millions of sources" that you can find are the supercharger manufacturers who want to sell you something. Please provide us with one source that has done independent testing and adheres to strict scientific technique. A well tuned system won't impact fuel mileage too much (1-3 MPG or so depending on how you drive), but you just can't get something (HP and torque) for nothing.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:20 AM
If your really worried about fuel economy then maybe you shouldn't have a SC and maybe you should think about getting a HYbrid I'm sure those are really fun to drive

Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Why are you worried about gas mileage? You should be worried about the price of TIRES every 10K miles, not gas...
Example:

no S/C: 20mpg * 20 gallons/tank = 400 miles/tank

vs.

with S/C: 18mpg * 200 gallons/tank = 360 miles/tank
Result: you lose 40 miles per fill up which at $2/gallon that's $4.00 per tank. Multiply that by $4/tank (which is 400 miles/week which is a bit high) by 25 tanks in a 6 month period (25 tanks * 400 miles/tank = 10,000 miles) and you end up spending $100 more every 6 months BUT you'll be going through a set of tires every 10,000 miles with the S/C which is the equivalent to 6 months using the numbers above.

Now that is 10,000 miles out of a set of $1,000-$1,200 tires so why are you worried about an additional $100 in gas costs?

Old 04-06-2005, 02:23 PM
WRAH
Come ON! I concede that a SC G35 will suffer loss of gas milage! But in theory its supposted to increase MPG.

If I find anything worth posting I'll stick it up!

Old 04-06-2005, 07:40 PM
right now on my navy it shows i average about 16mpg. i've had my s/c for about 3.5k miles.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:30 PM
If you are asking if it affects gas mileage, maybe you should'nt get a supercharger until you read a little more about engines. How much fuel is used depends on what size fuel injectors you use and how much fuel you are running through them (lph, liters per hour). I had technosquare richen up my A/F ratio on my N/A setup, so theoretically I am now getting worse gas mileage.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:42 PM
ok, it definitely lowers the fuel efficiency, i just took my vortech off last week and have already noticed a difference, think about it, you add a 2nd fuel pump, which in turn forces MORE fuel into the engine, if you stay out of boost and dont cause the fuel pump to come on, you wont use more fuel, BUT if you hit boost and throw that 2nd fuel pump on, the gas go bye-bye.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:39 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by malx
The gas milage is worse with s/c end of story. Because there is more pressure forced into the engine it needs more gas or something like that. I'm moving this to the tech and mod forum because that's where it should be.
Hey, Mr. End of story, I've had my Vortech for 9,000 miles now and have noticed only a small change in gas mileage...in fact, on my way from Cali to Texas, I averaged 27 mpg (and have a pic of iot on my cell phone)...the fact is, if you're on it all of the time, you'll have crappy gas mileage, otherwise, you shouldn't know much of a difference.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
damn Randy thats pretty good, i didnt get that much before when i was NA. best i ever got was maybe 21-22.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would a Vortec SC affect Gas mileage?