Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Would a Vortec SC affect Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:58 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tig488
damn Randy thats pretty good, i didnt get that much before when i was NA. best i ever got was maybe 21-22.
yeah, ay every G meet that I go to I show ppl the pic of the mpg on my cell phone...I was surprised and plased at the same time.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by malx
The gas milage is worse with s/c end of story. Because there is more pressure forced into the engine it needs more gas or something like that. I'm moving this to the tech and mod forum because that's where it should be.
Thats funny. You can't come out acting like you know what you are talking about and say I am right end of story, and then go on and say "more pressure forced into the engine OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT".

Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding an S/C will decrease gas mileage. To what extent is dependent on many factors of course, but even theotretically, if you drove the car the same way you did without a S/C, the S/C motor would get lower gas mileage. Considering the S/C requires that the motor is contantly putting out more power to drive the S/C, figthing not only the weight of the parts, but the friction in the belts, pulleys, bearing and even the air it is pumping, there is always more wasted energy than without an S/C.

As far as the gas mileage photos, I'm a bit skeptical. Depending on how the system calculates it and how the fuel system is set-up, it may not read the additional fuel being injected into the motor. If the system calculates on a set fuel pressure relative to manifold pressure and injector pulsewidths, then any mods that change fuel pressure or larger injectors would not work properly. While I'm not saying you can't achieve good gas mileage, I'm not sure I would use the nav system's mpg calculator for this purpose. Depends on how it works and the fuel system upgrades for your particular charger works.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:39 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by CKwik
Adding an S/C will decrease gas mileage. To what extent is dependent on many factors of course, but even theotretically, if you drove the car the same way you did without a S/C, the S/C motor would get lower gas mileage. Considering the S/C requires that the motor is contantly putting out more power to drive the S/C, figthing not only the weight of the parts, but the friction in the belts, pulleys, bearing and even the air it is pumping, there is always more wasted energy than without an S/C.

As far as the gas mileage photos, I'm a bit skeptical. Depending on how the system calculates it and how the fuel system is set-up, it may not read the additional fuel being injected into the motor. If the system calculates on a set fuel pressure relative to manifold pressure and injector pulsewidths, then any mods that change fuel pressure or larger injectors would not work properly. While I'm not saying you can't achieve good gas mileage, I'm not sure I would use the nav system's mpg calculator for this purpose. Depends on how it works and the fuel system upgrades for your particular charger works.
I believe the NAV gauges the miles meter and gas gauge to determine mpg...that's why if you reset your NAV, it takes a while to give you a reading...I believe the third elimate is the sensor in the tank that tells it how much gas is left in the tank...

Old 04-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the system uses the gas guage to record your gas mileage on the fly. That would be a function of speed vs injector duty cycle time. It would be hard for the system to measure how much gas is flowing out of the tank with the fuel guage sending unit. It's too slow to respond. However, I think it does estimate the 'miles to empty' based on the guage reading vs the average gas mileage within a certain period of time. But that number would be skewed as well if the actual mpg is not accurate.