Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Interesting Blown motor thread I found...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was right before the line on a 1/4 run . More like 6800rpm and 6 degree's being pulled with 96 octane

Old 08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The findings could be as much a reflection of the popularity of the kits? If the poll also included a vote for which FI kit used (whether blown or not) and thereby tracked the total number of people with FI that viewed the poll, then the numbers might have meant something (for example, 0 out of 0 Vortechs means nothing but 0 out of 20 means much more). With only the "numerator", the poll is quite useless...

For example what if I told you that 50% of Vortech owners will blow their motors but only 1% of GReddy TT will. You cannot refute that statement because we may have had 1500 GReddy people view that poll (with only 15 blown) but only 1 Vortech user (who didn't blow their engine)... The numbers would still jive, eh? Useless...

Last edited by rcdash; 08-26-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:44 PM
No kit is 100% safe

blown vortech

Old 08-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Due to the design of the centrifugal blower, and the way it makes power.. it's hard to blow the motor.

Not making any torque in lower RPM's will yield safe power. Just don't ever drive a TT car, you'll be pulling that blower off in a heartbeat.

I know, I did it.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by narkotic
Due to the design of the centrifugal blower, and the way it makes power.. it's hard to blow the motor.

Not making any torque in lower RPM's will yield safe power. Just don't ever drive a TT car, you'll be pulling that blower off in a heartbeat.

I know, I did it.
narkotic....enough already...with going to Vortech after Vortech thread and posting your TT are better statement . We have heard it a 100 times from you already....give it a rest please

Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 PM
There is a bit of misconception here. The SC does make the motor produce tons of torque. Instead of sending that extra tq to the wheels, the SC steals the power off the crank.
Take into consideration the power that is stolen by the SC.
Although 400 hp & 310 tq at the wheels sounds safe, the motor put out a whole lot more. Most of the lost power goes to the SC,then the alternator, the other pulleys,water pump, then through the drivetrain.If the SC was ran by another source & not off the cranks pulley, I bet you'd see #'s similar to turbos. 400hp would turn into 450hp & 310tq would turn into 430tq.
So SC's make less tq for a reason and it is safer for the motor............ "Wrong"
This is why turbos are so much more efficiant, they are a seperate source of power for the compressors.
All of the kits are equally dangerous to the motor(considering all the safety precautions & tuning)..........period

Wes

Old 08-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Banned
Very well put . So the trq. is being transfered to the crank pulley to turn the SC instead of the rods and pistons . Would that be a correct statement ? And Ive been told that the SC maybe taking upwards of 100whp and trq away from the motor on my set up

Last edited by booger; 08-27-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I followed that thread when it first came out. However since there are really few checks and balances for the voting and a bunch of inconsistencies, I stopped following it.

The problem was there was no way to verify what was blown and who it happened to. Without knowing that it's not possible to verify the numbers (i.e. someone with a legitmate blown motor posts his results and so does his friend, two counts for blown motor, but in reality only one). The other problem is not knowing what the cause of the problem. Most of what I read on My350z are that the motor troubles stemmed from no tuning, improper tuning, or faulty installation. Yes there are cases where everything seems to have been done right, but they don't seem to be the common case.

Take the information in the poll with a grain of salt.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by booger
Very well put . So the trq. is being transfered to the crank pulley to turn the SC instead of the rods and pistons .
Nope - other way around. The torque/power/whatever is being transferred from the exploding gas mixture to the piston, which transfers it to the conn rods, which transfer it to the crank, which transfers it to the accessory pulleys, drivetrain, cams, etc.

So the only thing being spared the extra power is your tranny - downstream from the crank. Before that point, the pistons and conn rods are having to deal with all that power, just like in a turbo setup. And it's the pistons and conn rods you have to worry about when it comes to a blown motor.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
This is a little off topic, but not really.

I live in South Texas. It's been over 95 degrees, every day for the last 3 months. It's going to be that way untill October. FI doesn't like heated air. Would I wasting my money and taking a big chance on blowing a motor by going FI?

Old 08-28-2005, 03:43 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by Gman2004
If you can find the link that shows Vortech having seal problems, I'd rather see that...this is the first time I've ever heard anyone blame the seals for any issues...I think his tune was bad (like Boogs) and with ANY FI app, this can happen if you're running a 15:1 AF ratio...

Old 08-29-2005, 12:40 PM
booger quit being such a sensitive old fart. The technical info i'm posting is relevant to motors being blown.

hah, I knew you'd chime in and retort!

Old 08-29-2005, 12:43 PM
LOL weslutes, you are way off man. Sorry to burst your bubble but just because it is parasitic doesn't mean it's stealing 100lbs of torque. Since it is'nt producing 8lbs of boost at 3k rpm's, you will not get the low end torque. PERIOD.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:06 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by booger
It was right before the line on a 1/4 run . More like 6800rpm and 6 degree's being pulled with 96 octane
thanks for the real numbers...

Old 08-29-2005, 01:09 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by Texasscout
This is a little off topic, but not really.

I live in South Texas. It's been over 95 degrees, every day for the last 3 months. It's going to be that way untill October. FI doesn't like heated air. Would I wasting my money and taking a big chance on blowing a motor by going FI?
No, you just need to have two different maps created by your tuner...one for Summer and one for Winter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interesting Blown motor thread I found...