Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

NGK Iridium plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NGK Iridium plugs?

Okay, I am going FI and I am going to run the one step colder plugs and I bought a set if NGK Iridium plugs. The guys at AAM pretty much refused to use the Iridium plugs because of the Iridium being "brittle" and if they were to try and adjust the gap it could cause problems? They suggested just staying with the Platinum. Of course they were 10 bucks a pop and I only paid 8.30 here at home for a set of Iridiums from NAPA. Anybody got any suggestions? Is this just a way for them to kill me on the plugs they have? Just wondering TIA for any insight.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is that a 12 dollar difference? I would put the irdium's in there.. I don't think they will last long if you are installing f/i. After they go, just pick up the plat's!!

I bought 2 sets of irdiums and I already killed a set.. in less than a week.. 300 miles.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I think you might have missed my point. I already have the Iridums to be installed AAM is telling me not to go with the Iridiums due to the tips being very brittle.Being ignorant I rthought the Iridums were supposed to be better than the platium. It has nothing to do with the price really I have just never heard of that before? Thanks though.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 AM
They are harder to gap but they don't break if you use the right tools to gap them. A vise, needle nose pliers and being real careful with the feeler gauge is all it takes.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM
iridiums come pre gapped and you arent suppose to regap them, and stay away from using plyers when gapping plugs...another thing iridiums are hot plugs and run hot.... you want to stay away from iridium or platinum plugs....you are suppose to run colder plugs when going FI or when using nitrous...

Old 01-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the feeback guys! I am running one step colder than stock but they did install the Plat's for now. Hopefully it won't be an issue but I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I've got the NGK Irridium IX installed and just took them from the box, put some anti-sieze on the threads and torqued them down. No need to gap and the thing runs great. 1 step colder for FI of course, but leave them alone either way. Factory gap is good.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Sorry but you are way off base. Iridiums have heat ranges just like other plugs and most people run colder plugs(noted by their heat range) when using iridium. I run the IK22 plugs by Denso which are an iridium plug that are 2 heat ranges colder than stock. The gap that they come with are too big for big boost. If you are keeping boost around 8-10psi then you should be fine. Do a little more research before you fill people with bad information.
Originally Posted by ratedxmarcel
iridiums come pre gapped and you arent suppose to regap them, and stay away from using plyers when gapping plugs...another thing iridiums are hot plugs and run hot.... you want to stay away from iridium or platinum plugs....you are suppose to run colder plugs when going FI or when using nitrous...

Old 01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I use to run 22 or IK24s I dont remember and the gap was around .22-.24 either that or I regapped them cuz the first set 2 broke on me even without gapping them...the iridiums just run too hot and are prone to break even if you dont regap them, once my car started making power I have never had so many except for the iridium plugs...... so I switched to some cheap 2 step colder copper plugs autolite 3924 I think and never had a problem again. T78 22+ psi and mid low 11s low 400 whp.

Last edited by ratedxmarcel; 01-24-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:42 PM
So neither the Iridiums or the plat's are ideal even at a 1 step colder? I'm confused. So what your saing is don't bother with the preciaus metal type plugs and do the el-cheapos? I don'tt mind spending the $$ for what ever is best but I would rather not ahve to change plugs all the time either.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:46 PM
its all up to you bro Im just telling you my experience...I had 4 plugs break on me first 2 sets I just slapped in the 2nd set I regapped tighter...same thing...my tuner told me they are **** and over priced and the tip or whatever heats up really fast and that they hate boost basically...after I threw those plugs out and stopped using them, I never had another problem with plugs again.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up, they already installed the Plat's but I'll know wht to do incase of a problem. Did you get the typical "only running off of - cylinder symptoms" as far as you know could the plugs fouling/breaking cause any engine damage? Sorry for all the questions but I want to be loaded with the proper ammo when I pick my car up tomorrow. Thanks

Old 01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
the times they broke off in my cylinders it didnt seem to cause any obvious engine damage such as lower my compression at all even if 4 of those plugs broke off in my motor, so I guess I was lucky right or wrong...because a few months/close to a year down the road when my headgasket was slightly done... we pulled my head, and seen what looked like detonation in the combustion chamber, but it made me think, was it that, or from the pieces of iridium plug bouncing around in my motor, and my machinist told me it could of been either or so who knows but why risk it. All I know is that if I ever boost my G I WILL NOT run iridium plugs.

but then again theres alot of supra guys who swear by them...I know I dont.

Last edited by ratedxmarcel; 01-24-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Go over to my350z.com and talk to the guys there. Most of the 600+whp cars are running iridium's. I not going to argue with one person's experiences and how they got so hot the electrodes broke off, which sound more mechanical then related to the spark plugs. Most of the Supra guys that make big power run coppers or iridium. Iridium is only on the tip, fyi.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 AM
who would the electrodes breaking off be mechanical? doesnt make any sense to me?....Ill stick to my cheap copper 2 step colder autolites for 99 cents each thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NGK Iridium plugs?