Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Stillen vs Vortech. Pro's and Con's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Stillen's split second box was tuned so that it would run right out of the box without any tuning. I didn't mean to convey that the kit was tuned for max power alone; I meant max power in respect to what they consider reliable for the car. (or any car it goes on) All the numbers that people post with Stillen kits is w/ no tuning whatsoever...if you didn't tune the Vortech I don't think you would be seeing the numbers it is putting down; just my opinion. I do agree that both kits are tuned conservatively but I would have to say Vortech's box is tuned more conservatively as it was meant to be tuned after install (via other a/f controller) . I don't see anything wrong w/ either approach; I could see how it would be better for certain people to go one way opposed to the other.

Originally Posted by booger
I'll have to disagree with the tuning part
Stillen has a basic tune as does Vortech
Neither are tuned for the car its going on . And you CAN NOT get max performance out of it unless its tuned to the car its on . Stillen can run thier tune at a higher A/F and less timing retard because it makes less boost . So , both have to be tuned at a cookie cutter tune to make every one that buys the kit run safe

Old 03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just would like to point out a few things a lot of people do not think about.

Stillen vs Vortech.

Vortech makes more PEAK hp/tq than the Stillen only for what 200-300 rpms or so for peak power? But if you actually look at the powerband, the Stillen makes the most power till that high rpm because the stillen sc does not have to build boost with RPM.

If you want a fast car, you need to look at all the numbers and not just the peak. PEAK could be a spike of a few more hp for a few rpms and then the rest of the power curve is less than its competitors. It's like how HP #'s on new cars win buyers.

Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
I narrowed it down to Stillen and Vortech for the SC. I decided not to go TT or ST just for maintenance issues and because it wont allow me to do the install myself.

I know that the pro's to Stillen are:

1. Reliability
2. Decent amount of HP
3. Torque is there right away
4. Warranty

The con's to Stillen are:

1. HP and TQ won't be what the Vortech could be
2. Have to purchase the Stillen hood and have it painted

What I don't know is the pro's and con's to Vortech except...

The pro's to Vortech are???

1. Great HP and TQ???

The con's to Vortech are???

1. Have to tune it???
2. Blown engines???

Help me out with these pro's and con's.

I am a junkie when it comes to power, however, I am in a new state and really don't have the contacts needed to make an informative decision.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by urban
First I am not bashing the Stillen at all, they have their pros and cons just like any other kit out there. Just stay away from ATI
The vortech is plug and play out of the box as I had mine like this for 6,000 miles before I wanted to upgrade the pulley.

Not any people I know whohave the vortech go to the track I do plan on this someday but it is always a time thing, not saying that 12.9 is slow but just breaking 13's is still slow in any car
Vortech isn't really that plug and play out of the box. Trust me I know since I have installed a few.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by goodbye evo8
Stillen's split second box was tuned so that it would run right out of the box without any tuning. I didn't mean to convey that the kit was tuned for max power alone; I meant max power in respect to what they consider reliable for the car. (or any car it goes on) All the numbers that people post with Stillen kits is w/ no tuning whatsoever...if you didn't tune the Vortech I don't think you would be seeing the numbers it is putting down; just my opinion. I do agree that both kits are tuned conservatively but I would have to say Vortech's box is tuned more conservatively as it was meant to be tuned after install (via other a/f controller) . I don't see anything wrong w/ either approach; I could see how it would be better for certain people to go one way opposed to the other.
They both are still cookie cutter tunes . Like I said , Stillen can get away with running a leaner A/F and less timing retard and still be safe , because it runs less boost . Im not sure on this , but does Stillen upgrades #3 and #4 have to be re-tuned [ send the box back or comes with another SS box ] ? Stage #4 runs 8psi and thats what Vortech runs with the stock kit . So I would think the Stillen needs retuned to not run lean . Ive also read a few Stillen guys running lean with exhaust upgrades .
There good and bad points to each kit . I'm not debating about any good points the Stillen has [ trq under the curve }

Vortech's tune is pig ridh up top , not down low . It pulls 1.5 degree's of timing from signal delay just as it does on the Stillen . And then pulles anothe 1 degree at 5000rpm , 2@ 5500 , 4@6000 , 8@ 6500rpm .
I believe Stillen makes 5 or 6 psi from low rpms till redline and timing Im sure isnt retarded as much and A/F can be kept leaner

Old 03-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Vortech isn't really that plug and play out of the box. Trust me I know since I have installed a few.
What problems have you ran across ?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Everyone keeps talking peak numbers and no one ever seems to look at area under the curve which will tell you the most about how a car will run.

It all comes down to what you want out of it:
If you drive more in the city then the Stillen is the better choice.
If you drive more on the highway the Vortech is the better choice.

Both kits make tons of power. Everyone loves to flame the Stillen. My Stage 3 pulls hard all the way from 2400 to redline and is just a blast to drive. The Vortech will have more lag and be slow off the line but then it turns into a rocket. The Vortech is more of a tuner kit that is made for people to play with and get those big #'s from. The Stillen is a kit for people that want to install it and enjoy while still being very safe, that is why you can get a warranty.

Which is faster?
There is not much difference in the 1/4 for either kit. A Stillen will win light to light and the Vortech will win in a 50mph roll-on.

Some will never be happy and live by the numbers. Those people should not get the Stillen. You can't get much more than 340-350whp with it. Now you will have 310ft-lbs at like 2400rpm which is crazy fun but won't win any dyno contests!

Noise?
If you have the oem airbox the Stillen is pretty quiet. If you have an open-air intake it is loud! Mine is quiet except at WOT, then it is very loud and soooo cool. I love the sound. If you could get a blow-off with it I would be in heaven. The Vortech makes some noise too but I think all in all it is not as loud as the Stillen.

Now I like the hood so that was not a factor for me. I think honestly the Stillen stage 4 is the best S/C kit out there. If I had to pick between the Stillen stage 2 and Vortech and I did not do almost all city driving like I do it would be a very hard choice...

Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Honestly 1-2 psi difference isn't the deciding factor in terms of how lean/rich you can run. A lot of different turbo vehicles run same a/f at either 18 psi or 25 psi. So it is up to whoever has tuned the maps that come w/ the different kits as to how much timing they want to advance/retard and how lean/rich they want the car to run. Stage 3 utilizes the same box as a stage 2; stage 4 comes w/ a different box. Stage 2 pulley runs 6 psi; stage 3 runs 7 psi; and stage 4 pushes 8 psi. Just another note while we are on the subject; when Vortech initially came out w/ their kit; there was no split second box included. After they found out which box Stillen was using; they contacted the vendor (split second) and made arrangements to get a ss box for their kit.

Originally Posted by booger
They both are still cookie cutter tunes . Like I said , Stillen can get away with running a leaner A/F and less timing retard and still be safe , because it runs less boost . Im not sure on this , but does Stillen upgrades #3 and #4 have to be re-tuned [ send the box back or comes with another SS box ] ? Stage #4 runs 8psi and thats what Vortech runs with the stock kit . So I would think the Stillen needs retuned to not run lean . Ive also read a few Stillen guys running lean with exhaust upgrades .
There good and bad points to each kit . I'm not debating about any good points the Stillen has [ trq under the curve }

Vortech's tune is pig ridh up top , not down low . It pulls 1.5 degree's of timing from signal delay just as it does on the Stillen . And then pulles anothe 1 degree at 5000rpm , 2@ 5500 , 4@6000 , 8@ 6500rpm .
I believe Stillen makes 5 or 6 psi from low rpms till redline and timing Im sure isnt retarded as much and A/F can be kept leaner

Old 03-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
ttrank we have already mentioned under the curve about 3 times in this thread....go back and count if you don't believe me. No one has said that PEAK hp is fit for everyone, it depends on peoples driving style and yours maybe different from the thread starter.
For the under the curve power, on my way home I decided to punch it see where mine kicked in and it was at 3400-3500k every time but once it kicks in I am gone, plus mine peaks at 9.5 psi which you will not see with the Stillen so it depends on how far and how much power one wants.
For you 340rwhp may be satisfying but to others that is just the beginning.
I also have the Unichip which seems to tune better and gets a little more response than the ss box down low.....don't know why.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:51 AM
For a daily driver, has there been any fuel mileage concensus between the two (parasitic loss)? Assuming stage 3 vs. Vortech out of the box tunes.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 AM
How much money total have you spent on getting your vortech the way it is? You have a smaller pulley and you are tuned independently via unichip. Does your vortech peak at 3400-3500k??? You said you measured when your Vortech kicks in by "punching it when you were on the freeway" are you kidding me?!??! It is probably pushing 0 psi at 3000 rpm....Just curious... 340 rwhp is a lot of damn power..more than 90% of drivers know how to handle. Stillen stage 4 is putting down almost identical torque to your setup at 8psi straight out of the box. If I am going to spend 20k to get my g35 to high 300 whp I would rather have gotten a different car to start with.

ttrank we have already mentioned under the curve about 3 times in this thread....go back and count if you don't believe me. No one has said that PEAK hp is fit for everyone, it depends on peoples driving style and yours maybe different from the thread starter.
For the under the curve power, on my way home I decided to punch it see where mine kicked in and it was at 3400-3500k every time but once it kicks in I am gone, plus mine peaks at 9.5 psi which you will not see with the Stillen so it depends on how far and how much power one wants.
I also have the Unichip which seems to tune better and gets a little more response than the ss box down low.....don't know why.

Last edited by threatcon07; 03-22-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Exactly. Stillen puts down more hp/tq through the majority of the powerband. (save 300 rpm) Stillen supercharged vehicles (straight out of the box) have put down quicker times.... Doesnt leave much up for discussion.....

Originally Posted by G35_TX
I just would like to point out a few things a lot of people do not think about.

Stillen vs Vortech.

Vortech makes more PEAK hp/tq than the Stillen only for what 200-300 rpms or so for peak power? But if you actually look at the powerband, the Stillen makes the most power till that high rpm because the stillen sc does not have to build boost with RPM.

If you want a fast car, you need to look at all the numbers and not just the peak. PEAK could be a spike of a few more hp for a few rpms and then the rest of the power curve is less than its competitors. It's like how HP #'s on new cars win buyers.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:20 AM
All good questions so let me explain;
3400 on the vortech bought from this site from twilight g35 search and you shall see
smaller pulley $70
Unichip 900 but that was because my ss took a dive on me, still have it and under warrenty for the fix but I am planning for the future.

It is a gradual increase not like a turbo kit which hits full psi from the get go.
I do not have the dyno sheet in front of me but it holds 9.5psi from 5+k to 7100rpm.
My vortech reacts at 3400k so yes to that question.

340 hp is nothing most cars these days come with that or even more, just the way it is.

I hit peak power for more than 200-300 rpm...lol that is just to funny.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:25 AM
If I had to spend 20k on this setup then I would have got a Z06 but I have spent peanuts compared to others on there cars. My mods total cost less than the Stillen I think.

Torque is the only issue I see with a sc kit but thats the way it is...you can't have everything the way you want. TT kit would have been better I suppose.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:28 AM
Grocery getter

we have already mentioned under the curve about 3 times in this thread.
Sorry, this has been an ongoing topic in other threads and I repeat myself sometimes. I just want to make sure that people consider the differences and get what is best for them before they go spend this kind of money.

No one has said that PEAK hp is fit for everyone, it depends on peoples driving style and yours maybe different from the thread starter.
That's what I said...
But checking to see when your boost kicks in is not the same as looking at the under the curve power on a dyno.

Now you are talking peak numbers...
Look at torque for instance. Depending on your use you may want to have 300 ft-lbs constant from 2500 to 6500rpm rather than a linear line from 150-350 or maybe not. If you drag race often this might not be a good thing.

And yes, I said it before and I will say it again, the Vortech is a great kit, just not for me. I do a lot of city driving (80%) and did not want to always be on it trying to start making boost at 3400-3500 when I can be making close to full boost there. Most of the time I boost it quickly and shift at like 4k. If I had the Vortech I would be averaging like 10mpg because of my desire to boost all the time from light to light. If I was on the highway more I would have gotten the Vortech kit in a second because it is better style kit for that purpose.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Grocery getter

On another subject I really want to see someone post some before and after dynos of the Stillen with headers and/or high-flow cats. I know it won't add much but I have always wanted to see the results. I know Stillen has done it but they won't tell me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen vs Vortech. Pro's and Con's