Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

LSD necessary for FI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LSD necessary for FI?

This may sound like a dumb question but here it is.

I have a 03.5 6mt sedan without LSD. I believe the 04 started coming with the LSD. I recently purchased a SC and was wondering if I am going to have any issues with not having LSD?

My concern is a 2 part concern.

Currently when I take off under WOT from 1 gear to 2nd and can get both tires to spin. Sometimes only 1 tire will spin causing a slight fishtail. Going to a Stillen SC, I am starting to worry about "slight fishtail". With all that extra TQ is it reasonable to think that the fishtail is going to get worse? Should I go ahead and get a LSD. If so, what kind?

My 2nd concern is what kind of issues am I going to start to experience once I start going to the track?

Begin...

Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also interested in finding out too

Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Rollin On Dubz
According to howstuffworks.com

I think the LSD helps more with traction on turns, not so much straight line.

But I could be wrong.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:44 AM
MIAPLAYA's 350z wrecked with an open diff and a turbonetics kit. Not sure about the details but it hydroplaned in the rain, the rear wheel with power caught traction....spin...guardrail.

Car is repaired and has a NISMO diff now. However this was a noisy diff at slow speeds when it was installed, until a certain(not sure which brand) diff oil was put in.

Last edited by G35pm; 04-05-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
if i was you i would def get one,reason being i had the stillen stage 1 for about a year and a halve,i had bad traction issues compared to stock.so i decided to get a 3.5 vlsd out of a manual z,got the whole pumpkin its a straight forward swap and traction was much better esp on the twisties.if you have the cash to spare get the quaife.now that its stage 3 im really glad i did this.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
It's all about the tires... If you can fishtail now, then I suspect you don't have sticky tires.

Try Michelin PS/2 (comes standard with coupes) and you're not going to be spinning anything (without FI that is)!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Devil's Advocate
With an open diff if one wheel starts to slip all power will go to that wheel. Ever see someone without a LSD do a single wheel burnout? Exact same principle. Regardless of if you are driving in a straight line or are in the curves, with a LSD if one wheel starts to slip power is transferred to the other wheel that still has traction.

As was mentioned above if you lost traction on a wet freeway would you want to try to regain control with all of your available power only going to one wheel or to both?

If you are going FI I wouldn't do it without a LSD. I wouldn't drive an NA car without a LSD.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
if i was you i would def get one,reason being i had the stillen stage 1 for about a year and a halve,i had bad traction issues compared to stock.so i decided to get a 3.5 vlsd out of a manual z,got the whole pumpkin its a straight forward swap and traction was much better esp on the twisties.if you have the cash to spare get the quaife.now that its stage 3 im really glad i did this.

This is the way to do it. Contact the local wrecking yards and drop a deposit for when a 350Z comes in. There are so many on the road, shouldnt take long. If you cant wait, or want new, then Quaife is it. But its not really an option. Either way, it must be done. Silly and unsafe to increase power and not transfer it to the pavement.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
English dude, English
Originally Posted by rcdash
It's all about the tires... If you can fishtail now, then I suspect you don't have sticky tires.

Try Michelin PS/2 (comes standard with coupes) and you're not going to be spinning anything (without FI that is)!

I have 19x8.5 ADR Rims with 245/35/19 Nitto 555. What's wrong with that setup?

Old 04-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Rollin On Dubz
I could be wrong again, but I don't think the Nitto NT 555 are the greatest tires.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:53 PM
English dude, English
List some good tires then. Help a G out!!!!

Old 04-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
List some good tires then. Help a G out!!!!

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Old 04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
English dude, English
Originally Posted by mooka
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Thanks mooka. It only took 10 days to get an answer. Haha

Old 04-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mooka
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Pretty good tire for every day driving, it's what I'm running. At the dragstrip however these skins won't do much better than any other "summer" tire.

I took the car out to the road course about a month ago but it was raining the entire time and I must say I was pretty impressed with the grip they had in the rain going through the turns. As far as straight line acceleration I was able to break them loose pretty easily in 3rd gear but that's not saying much with my setup. Overall a very competent tire for every day driving. Some have complained about the road noise but I don't think they're any worse than the Pilot Sports that came stock. Tirerack.com, I believe, rates them very highly as well.

I've been looking at picking up a set of track wheels with r-comp tires for the few times a year I will be tracking or dragging...

Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
English dude, English
Originally Posted by BeerViper
Pretty good tire for every day driving, it's what I'm running. At the dragstrip however these skins won't do much better than any other "summer" tire.

I took the car out to the road course about a month ago but it was raining the entire time and I must say I was pretty impressed with the grip they had in the rain going through the turns. As far as straight line acceleration I was able to break them loose pretty easily in 3rd gear but that's not saying much with my setup. Overall a very competent tire for every day driving. Some have complained about the road noise but I don't think they're any worse than the Pilot Sports that came stock. Tirerack.com, I believe, rates them very highly as well.

I've been looking at picking up a set of track wheels with r-comp tires for the few times a year I will be tracking or dragging...

Thanks Viper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LSD necessary for FI?