Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

The rumors are strong, 2009 G37 sedan 330hp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gt_performah
I think SMOKED is an exxageration.

I think you guys are off your rocker if you think Infiniti engineers is sitting around worrying about the .6 second advantage the 3 series has over the G. Infiniti will continue to offer the best all around vehicle at a competitive price and the 4,000+ sales a month means they are doing a good job. That does not involve winning 0-60second battles.

A G37 sedan should be faster than the G35 sedan but there is no guarantee it will end up being faster than 3 series. Weight is still a factor and the 3.7 is heavier.
The 3.7 is heavier than the 3.5 but not by much.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Worst idea ever. Hows it supposed to be a luxury sport sedan without those items?
+1. Some people are just dumb blind these days . Infiniti is a luxury brand, the G35 was not designed to compete with a Lotus or an S2000. Performance is high on the list, but you do not sacrifice daily drivability and luxury for it.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Worst idea ever. Hows it supposed to be a luxury sport sedan without those items?
No one said the cuts had to be made across the board. Porsche has been stripping 911 models of sound deadening, a/c, rear seats, and other items that are unnecessary to the driving experience. They repackage the car with higher performance components and call it a GT3. Granted, this may be somewhat extreme, but it has been done.

Let's just call the G version an extreme Sport edition, for those that are willing to sacrifice some of the "luxury" for some more "Sport". Granted, it would probably not work well with the sedan so maybe it should be a coupe exclusive.

I for one do not feel the need for items such as Nav, distance sensing cruise control, and other technological wizardry that is a distraction to the driving experience. I don't feel the need to push buttons and check screens and see which song I should play next. Throw on a cd (or cds) or tune in your favorite station and just drive, seeing where the road will take you. Enjoy the curves and scenery.

Worst idea; maybe, maybe not.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Despite my general hate for leasing cars, this is why I lease Nissan/Infiniti products and will never buy one new. They change their cars every two years; they always have, the always will:

I30 -> I35
03-04 G35 (260hp) -> 05-06 (280/298)
07-08 G35 -? 09-10 G37

Same goes for Nissan's:
00-01 Maxima 222 -> 03-04 255
03-04 Z 287 -> 05 287-300 06 298-306 (Don't know if this is exactly the right timeline but you get the idea)

This has been one of my largest complaints about Nissans. Although it doesn't seem to really affect resale value (still strong), it's annoying. BMW will keep their 335i relatively the same for 4-6 years, Lexus the same with the IS350, yet to keep a new car with Infiniti, you need to be on a 2 year cycle.

Glad I only have a three year lease. I waited until I heard that they weren't making an 08 G37 sedan before I pulled the trigger on my 07. An 09 G37 sedan would be an improvement, however, hopefully they don't add more weight to keep noise down. The 05-06 298 hp sedans didn't blow away the 03-04 sedans despite a 28 hp difference on paper.

Also, lowering the 0-60 by .5 seconds is difficult period. A 4.7-4.8 second 0-60 with these stock tires would be very difficult. I think a .1-.2 difference in 0-60 and a .3-.4 in 1/4 MIGHT be doable if they don't increase the weight. That'd put it above the Lexus and right at the BMW which is probably Infiniti's goal.

However, don't put it past Infiniti to get more power of the G37 than what is in the G37 coupe today. They might get it to 340-350.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by theimmortal
No one said the cuts had to be made across the board. Porsche has been stripping 911 models of sound deadening, a/c, rear seats, and other items that are unnecessary to the driving experience. They repackage the car with higher performance components and call it a GT3. Granted, this may be somewhat extreme, but it has been done.

Let's just call the G version an extreme Sport edition, for those that are willing to sacrifice some of the "luxury" for some more "Sport". Granted, it would probably not work well with the sedan so maybe it should be a coupe exclusive.

I for one do not feel the need for items such as Nav, distance sensing cruise control, and other technological wizardry that is a distraction to the driving experience. I don't feel the need to push buttons and check screens and see which song I should play next. Throw on a cd (or cds) or tune in your favorite station and just drive, seeing where the road will take you. Enjoy the curves and scenery.

Worst idea; maybe, maybe not.
You represent like 0.001% of the market. An Infiniti is a sports/luxury sedan. Buyers with your mentality need to be looking at the Lancer EVO or Impreza STi.

It's not like BMW strips their M series cars or Mercedes their AMG cars. People want fast and nice; at least the people Infiniti, BMW, and Benz are marketing towards. The BMW does offer a CSL but it's not even available in the US, probably because only a few people would buy it. Most M3 CSL buyers are probably looking at Porsches anyways.

The Porsche GT3 example doesn't work either. Saving 200 lbs in the G35 isn't going to make it this crazy animal on the road where it does for the Porsche. The GT3 is one of the fastest road cars out there today, period (3rd fastest Nurburgring time or something). The G35 would still be slower than an SRT8 Charger but with a lot of noise and no luxuries. It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by BrianV; 12-17-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
You represent like 0.001% of the market. An Infiniti is a sports/luxury sedan. Buyers with your mentality need to be looking at the Lancer EVO or Impreza STi.

It's not like BMW strips their M series cars or Mercedes their AMG cars. People want fast and nice; at least the people Infiniti, BMW, and Benz are marketing towards. The BMW does offer a CSL but it's not even available in the US, probably because only a few people would buy it. Most M3 CSL buyers are probably looking at Porsches anyways.

The Porsche GT3 example doesn't work either. Saving 200 lbs in the G35 isn't going to make it this crazy animal on the road where it does for the Porsche. The GT3 is one of the fastest road cars out there today, period (3rd fastest Nurburgring time or something). The G35 would still be slower than an SRT8 Charger but with a lot of noise and no luxuries. It just doesn't make sense.
True enough. I personally like the fact that Infiniti offers a fair range of options that you can opt out of; if you want the toys you can get them.

The aftermarket will service the needs of those wanting higher performance and lighter weight, with the necessary products if it deems the demand to be there. I doubt that we will find a lot of the mods I mentioned, especially the seats (because of the airbags).

I personally feel the G35X with Sport option to be the perfect combo (for me at least - soon). Handles wonderfully, seats are superb and more than enough power for most people.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by theimmortal
True enough. I personally like the fact that Infiniti offers a fair range of options that you can opt out of; if you want the toys you can get them.

The aftermarket will service the needs of those wanting higher performance and lighter weight, with the necessary products if it deems the demand to be there. I doubt that we will find a lot of the mods I mentioned, especially the seats (because of the airbags).

I personally feel the G35X with Sport option to be the perfect combo (for me at least - soon). Handles wonderfully, seats are superb and more than enough power for most people.
The Lancer and STi offer insane performance, comfortable seats, and AWD. Why didn't you look at those? Seriously I'm curious. Sometimes I wonder that about myself, but I always end up at that I like luxury and prefer the lower-keyness of the Infiniti.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
first, what makes you think a sedan with a 3.7 would be heavier? the extra weight in the coupe comes from the redesign...engine doesn't weigh 300 extra pounds.
1. It's not only the engine that would make the car heavier. Virtually all cars increase in weight through the model years. For example, when the 1st gen G35 sedan went from the 260 hp motor in 2004 to the 298 hp rev up motor in 2005, the weight jumped by about 150 lbs. Here's the proof:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...ifications.htm
vs.

Besides, they don't just drop a more powerful engine in. They do other stuff like beef up the transmission to handle the extra power, add some structural reinforcements here and there, etc.

second, try being more clear in you logic and writing. you state that a difference in weight coupled with an increase in horsepower would show no increase in performance. why would anyone think you were comparing a 37 coupe and a 35 sedan, and then comparing that to a possible 37 sedan (with what you are sure will weigh 300 pounds more). when you talk about corresponding weight and power increase, as you stated in your reply, you should be comparing apples to apples. a 37 coupe and 35 coupe (which would be the logical comparison) there is a significant increase in performance.
The reason why I would expect everyone to know I was comparing a G35 sedan to a G37 coupe is because this thread was initially posted in the 07+ G35 sedan forum. That, and the fact that the thread title says, "rumors are strong, 2009 G37 sedan 330 hp." It makes perfect sense to compare the 07+ G35 sedan to the G37 coupe because the G37 coupe gives a very good idea of how a G37 sedan would perform.

A comparison between an 06 G35 coupe to the G37 coupe would not be as valid of a comparison because their engines are totally different and, as I already stated, the 298 hp coupe's rating is not based on SAE net rev 8/04 so it's power rating can't even be directly compared to the G37's 330 hp rating.

I also never stated the G37 coupe was 300 lbs heavier than the G35 sedan. The actual difference is less than 150 lbs as can be seen here:

vs.

edit: hence, since the coupe weighs an extra 300 pounds and shaves of half a second in 0-60 and 3 to 4 tenths in the quarter miles, it would be easy to assume that a 3.7 in and existing platform with thirty or so extra horses would have a dramatic increase in performance.
Your math is wrong as you're still assuming the hp difference btw an 06 G35 coupe and 08 G37 coupe is only about 30 hp. The 330 hp G37 coupe generates much more than 32 hp over the 298 hp G35 coupe. If you don't believe me, check out Automobile's dyno comparison:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...rts/index.html

The G37 coupe cranks out 51 hp more at the wheels than the G35 coupe. This means, at the crank, you're easily talking about a 60 hp difference - not the 30 or 32 hp difference that you keep stating. So, with approximately 20% more hp, it's no wonder the G37 coupe outperforms the G35 coupe.

Here's the logic of my comparison:

1. 07+ G35 sedan with only 306 hp performs virtually identical to the 330 hp G37 coupe.

2. 07+ G35 sedan weighs only 130-150 lbs less than a G37 coupe.

3. If Infiniti comes out with a G37 sedan, that car would probably weigh maybe 100-150 lbs more than the current G35 sedan. This is based not only on the weight of the G37 engine, but other upgrades that need to be made and the fact that cars generally get heavier over time. There is also precedence for this as can be seen when the 04 G35 sedan received the coupe's 298 hp rev up motor in 2005. It's weight increased by 143 lbs (see info above).

4. Therefore, if there is an 09 G37 sedan, and it ends up weighing about 100-150 lbs more than the current G35 sedan, it would weigh the same as the current G37 coupe and, with the identical 330 hp engine, this theoretical G37 sedan's performance should be virtually identical as well - which means the performance increase would be negligible since the current G35 sedan already performs as well as the G37 coupe.

Make sense?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
1. It's not only the engine that would make the car heavier. Virtually all cars increase in weight through the model years. For example, when the 1st gen G35 sedan went from the 260 hp motor in 2004 to the 298 hp rev up motor in 2005, the weight jumped by about 150 lbs. Here's the proof:

vs.

Besides, they don't just drop a more powerful engine in. They do other stuff like beef up the transmission to handle the extra power, add some structural reinforcements here and there, etc.

The reason why I would expect everyone to know I was comparing a G35 sedan to a G37 coupe is because this thread was initially posted in the 07+ G35 sedan forum. That, and the fact that the thread title says, "rumors are strong, 2009 G37 sedan 330 hp." It makes perfect sense to compare the 07+ G35 sedan to the G37 coupe because the G37 coupe gives a very good idea of how a G37 sedan would perform.

A comparison between an 06 G35 coupe to the G37 coupe would not be as valid of a comparison because their engines are totally different and, as I already stated, the 298 hp coupe's rating is not based on SAE net rev 8/04 so it's power rating can't even be directly compared to the G37's 330 hp rating.

I also never stated the G37 coupe was 300 lbs heavier than the G35 sedan. The actual difference is less than 150 lbs as can be seen here:

vs.

Your math is wrong as you're still assuming the hp difference btw an 06 G35 coupe and 08 G37 coupe is only about 30 hp. The 330 hp G37 coupe generates much more than 32 hp over the 298 hp G35 coupe. If you don't believe me, check out Automobile's dyno comparison:

The G37 coupe cranks out 51 hp more at the wheels than the G35 coupe. This means, at the crank, you're easily talking about a 60 hp difference - not the 30 or 32 hp difference that you keep stating. So, with approximately 20% more hp, it's no wonder the G37 coupe outperforms the G35 coupe.

1. 07+ G35 sedan with only 306 hp performs virtually identical to the 330 hp G37 coupe.

3. If Infiniti comes out with a G37 sedan, that car would probably weigh maybe 100-150 lbs more than the current G35 sedan. This is based not only on the weight of the G37 engine, but other upgrades that need to be made and the fact that cars generally get heavier over time. There is also precedence for this as can be seen when the 04 G35 sedan received the coupe's 298 hp rev up motor in 2005. It's weight increased by 143 lbs (see info above).

4. Therefore, if there is an 09 G37 sedan, and it ends up weighing about 100-150 lbs more than the current G35 sedan, it would weigh the same as the current G37 coupe and, with the identical 330 hp engine, this theoretical G37 sedan's performance should be virtually identical as well - which means the performance increase would be negligible since the current G35 sedan already performs as well as the G37 coupe.

Make sense?

End of thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Why even go to the trouble of manufacturing a VQ35HR. Unless it's going to be the new maxima/altima/FX/base M workhorse motor.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
The Lancer and STi offer insane performance, comfortable seats, and AWD. Why didn't you look at those? Seriously I'm curious. Sometimes I wonder that about myself, but I always end up at that I like luxury and prefer the lower-keyness of the Infiniti.
I've test driven the WRX (non STI) and found it to be remarkably unrefined. Feels like a 1990s Japanese hatchback. My 1997 Saab 900 Turbo feels more refined, although less capable overall. Lot's of cheap feeling/looking plastic on the inside of the WRX, and not a power seat to be found.

Haven't looked at the Lancer because it just doesn't appeal overall. I test drove the AWD G and was simply blown away. The one I test drove had "all the toppings" but I was really more concerned with the driving experience, which was excellent.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why even go to the trouble of manufacturing a VQ35HR. Unless it's going to be the new maxima/altima/FX/base M workhorse motor.
The VQ35HR is going to be in the new EX. Im sure eventually, it will end up in the Maxima and also the 3.5 Altima, while the Infiniti counterparts will lead the pack with the 3.7's. Infiniti has already registered the names "FX37" and "M37" along with "FX50" and "M50".

Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 PM

vs.

vs.

Make sense?
couldn't agree more. however, i couldn't see infinity justifying a bigger engine if there weren't going to be at least some performance gains. they know that their customer base will expect a faster car out of a g37. hopefully they will be able to pull an extra 10 or so hp out of the 3.7 engine and make the weight increase worth it.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

vs.

vs.

Make sense?
I don't agree at all. Why in the world would the VQ37HR weigh more than the VQ35HR. The motors are basically identical. Why would a slightly stroked motor weigh that much more? Just because there's more displacement doesn't mean there's more weight

Additionally, Car and Driver and Motor Trend have weighed the G37 coupe and G35 sedan, and the coupe is a legit 3,800lb car with fuel. The sedan is a legit 3,600lb ride. Infiniti flat out admited the reason the coupe is heavier is because of the additional reinforces required for the large doors and openings.

Finally, the "260hp" 03/04 motors were putting out closer to 275hp and the 280hp motors were actually making closer ot 275hp. Hence the reason why that motor was rated at 275hp in the 07 G35 coupe and why there was no performance difference between the 260hp and 280hp motors.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Both motors use the same heads and intake tract. The only real difference is in the displacement, but even then many parts are shared. The 01-02 Maxima/I30 had the VQ30DEK for only two model years. The RevUp VQ only lasted two years also.....thank God.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The rumors are strong, 2009 G37 sedan 330hp