Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alright, few updates:

first of all, I got really lucky & was able to find an almost complete brick leather interior... I can't tell you how much I hated the tan leather... I bought a new carpet & the missing misc pieces to complete the interior.. now I just have to redo all the upper tan in black suede...

then, it installed:

I love this interior, love it with my exterior body color, very happy with this upgrade...

OK, so then I wind up finally after 3+ months receive my wheels from IForged... I ordered them all black. I expected them to be all black, inner & outer lips & wheel center... what they winded up sending me though was black lips & wheel center, but then the whole inner barrel was just left raw aluminum! looked like crap, looked unfinished, plus, IForged does not offer the option of gloss black, just a matte black finish...

all in all I wasn't happy at all with the look of the wheels..., didn't look classy, didn't even look finished... simply didn't do it for me... I was anxious to see if the rear wheels will even fit so I mounted one up for a test fit... luckily my measuring & calculating paid off & the rear wheels fit fine:

the wheels were awesome but the flat black all over look just killed it for me, especially with the inner part being just raw aluminum... so I did what I wasn't really looking to do with a brand new set of big $$ wheels, I took them apart to refinish them...

I started stripping the wheels with the intentions of polishing the lips & doing the centers gloss black... stripped a rear & all was normal, raw aluminum under the black powder coat, but then as I start to strip the fronts I find something very strange.. the front lips, underneath the black powder coat, was CHROME.... not only was it chrome, but it was flawless chrome... not sanded, not scratched, not prepped in any way for the black powder coat, just flawless chrome, very strange indeed...

called up IForged & after a while back & forth with me conveying how upset I was to have received a mismatched set of wheels, I got IForged to sent me a replacement set of lips for the 2 rears also in chrome, so now I can have all 4 with chrome lip which, looking back, is what I really shoulda ordered in the first place...

a few shots of stripping the wheels:

and the chrome under powder coat:

mismatched lips:

totally stripped & ready for paint... decided to do the inner barrel gloss black too to help it be easier to clean, brake dust should be easier to clean off a smooth finished surface rather than a raw aluminum...

& then the final result:

OK, forgot to mention that IForged also screwed up with the front brake clearance & the wheels actually contacted the calipers, with the iforged wheels contacting the infiniti calipers, got me to thinking about the rotora's again, so I test fit my rotora 6 piston fronts again & they clear the wheels much better than the infiniti brakes..... sooooo, back to square one again

now I'm back to mismatching brakes if I just do the front rotoras & leave the infiniti rears... so now I say screw it, I'm going to do what I should have done long ago, just order a matching rotora rear BBK, along with new rotors & pads for the front... yeah, so I order them, in red to match the fronts... yeah right, should only be that simple.... turns out rotora has changed the way they assemble & finish there calipers

rotoras used to paint there calipers before assembly, then all the hardware & the brake line connecting the 2 halves remained natural finish... then they stencil painted the rotora logo... NOW they decided to take the easier way out like most other brake manufacturers & assemble them completely before paint, then they also decided to use a decal for the logo instead of painted & then they clear over the decal... to top it off the red they use now is more like a brembo red where it used to be more of a blood red, so not only do they look completely different cause of the decal & the hardware painted, but the color doesn't even match at all... to top it of they got tons of dust in the clear coat that they use over the decal so in short the brand new rotora calipers look like crap next to the original rotoras... I think my 12 year old son coulda painted these calipers better than rotora did, they even missed a bunch or spots with paint even...

I really didn't want to go through having to refinish the calipers but at this point no choice, I sure as hell ain't going to go through all this just to STILL wind up with mismatched brakes ....

since I'm forced to redo them at this point anyway, I really didn't want the red anyway, so I decided to do them a burnt orange to match the interior. I chose a paint that when not directly in sunlight look a bit darker & very much like the brick interior, but pearly enough that when the sun does hit them they light up a kinda hotter orange...

stenciled:

and, the final results:

Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with all the problems you had, I think it turned out better than if you didn't have any problems. Very nice and I love the color of the calipers.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM
yeah man, your right, wouldn't have had the same final results if they were no issues really... lovin the gloss black wheels which IForged don't offer & lovin the caliper color too, guess I got lucky with the screwups really...

also picked up an HR drivetrain for a motor swap come this winter... got it complete from a G35X, motor,tranny, transfer case & front diff with complete harnesses, ecu & bolt on accessories

not planning on building the motor up, it's got 5k miles on it, should be fine as-is to put maybe 440-450 or so to the wheels with FI... hope to have it in & running by next spring, twin turbo seems like the obvious choice but I'm also considering a twin rotrex blower setup instead...

Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Twin blowers could be cool, who will be fabbing the brackets and piping?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
OMG awesome work man!!! Wish I had your skills man. Imagine all the money you saved on labor.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 AM
mounting the blowers & the pulley setup & the plumbing is the easy part, I can do that myself & if I need a hand I have a good friend who's a racecar fabricator, so that's the least of the problems. management & tunabilty is going to be the real challenge, if I can get it to run on the stock g35x box then the dual throttle bodies will be ok & I should be able to get an uprev tune, don't know if they cracked the 35x awd ecu yet but I'm pretty sure by then they will have if they haven't already. it's about the same as the other HR boxes they've already mastered just a bit different flash that'll include the diffences for the AWD

I also weigh the possibility of building a custom intake manifold & running it on the stock DE box with a single TB, then continuing to use the utec. the utec has a spare output that can be used for the cam timing advance contol that the DE box doesn't have, so that's very possible too I think, but ideally it runs on the HR box & runs dual TB's... as long as I can get all the can buss stuff to all comunicate & play togeather nicely. worse case I'm thinking I may need a G35X "unified meter & a/c amp", which is kinda the equivelent of a body control module in these cars, but the original fx unified meter may communicate fine with the HR ecu too. this is important because even though the tranny has it's own computer it relies on the unified meter for some of it's function I believe, since the shifter is not even connected to the tranny computer, but it is connected to the unified meter... hopefully communication protocalls haven't changed much & the 03 stuff can talk to the 07 stuff...

Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
as long as I can get all the can buss stuff to all comunicate & play togeather nicely.
Lol, G/L with that... However, I can't imagine too many headaches while getting the electronics sorted, it's not like you're swapping this stuff into a 20yr old S13.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Wow. FX looks amazing! Great job. Cant wait to see more from you in the future

Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW you're giving rookie a run for his money... well almost HAHA

Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
love the setup

Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Amazing

Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 PM
very well done.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! Amazing work you've done and great choice of interior color, it's reason why I got the FX.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: turbocad6's custom fx