The FX-Spot For General discussion of the FX35/FX45

What fuel do you all use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
If they're concerned about fuel economy, tell them to buy a Civic. An FX is a horrible choice for someone looking for something with good gas mileage.

Well Obviously if they were looking to purchase a vehcile based completely on fuel milage then I am sure they would be looking at a Civic..... BUT thats obvioulsy not the case...

Old 04-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kuneff
Well Obviously if they were looking to purchase a vehcile based completely on fuel milage then I am sure they would be looking at a Civic..... BUT thats obvioulsy not the case...
but at the same time u say they are looking at a big suv and that a mini cooper is on the list...

sounds like, they themselves don't know what they are looking for.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Their thoughts are like this. they were looking at cars... They really like the FX35, BUT they don't wanna go for an SUV that will get lower gas milage to begin with, and then have to use Premium fuel to top it off.

I am not sure what all they are looking at but I know BMW, Lexus IS and a Mini are on the list... I can see where they are coming from. Premium in a car thats getting 20+ is not near as bad as Premium in an SUV at 18 or less.
Just based on that sample list of cars, I don't really understand their logic. They basically want a luxury car manufacturer yet don't want to spend much more at the pumps? Sure you can have an SUV that has good mileage but it won't have a luxury emblem on it. Besides how will they feel if that luxury vehicle actually needs service (SUV or not)? I know for a fact that regular scheduled maintenance on a Lexus ain't cheap and out of warranty items on all these cars cost a pretty penny.

The catch here is, you can have your cake and eat it too, it just requires a premium grade fork!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Their thoughts are like this. they were looking at cars... They really like the FX35, BUT they don't wanna go for an SUV that will get lower gas milage to begin with, and then have to use Premium fuel to top it off.

I am not sure what all they are looking at but I know BMW, Lexus IS and a Mini are on the list... I can see where they are coming from. Premium in a car thats getting 20+ is not near as bad as Premium in an SUV at 18 or less.
Strange rationale when considering such a diverse range of cars. Sounds like they need to consider all of their priorities beyond a luxury car badge.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Judging by the makes you listed that they're interested in, it looks like these friends of yours are after nothing more than a status symbol only they're too chang to pay for premium fuel.

I think a CBR600RR would be perfect for them.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 AM
I own a FX35 and a G35, and both cars "recommend" premium fuel. I've been using Chevron midgrade 89 octane in both since day one, and both cars run great. In my experience, the grade of fuel has very little to no bearing on how many mpg I get. If I drive with a heavy foot, I'll be lucky to get 15 mpg on my FX, but if I drive conservatively I can easily pull 17.5 mpg (city driving). And thats all on the same grade of fuel. Can I afford the extra few bucks for 91 octane? F*ck yeah. But I don't feel like doing it and they both run fine. If it were truly necessary for the VQ35DE to run ONLY on premium fuel, then the manufacturer would say that and Infiniti would void the warranty if you didn't use it.

On a similar note, I hope your friends understand that the FX is not a cheap vehicle to fill up at the gas station. I average around 16.5 mpg on the display/330 miles per tank. The tank holds around 20 gallons, and at $3.39 per gallon, I'm paying over $65 to fill up my FX every 10 days. It costs me $195 per month to fill up. Your friends will definately pay a price to drive such an amazing vehicle.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by GixxerSteve
I own a FX35 and a G35, and both cars "recommend" premium fuel. I've been using Chevron midgrade 89 octane in both since day one, and both cars run great. In my experience, the grade of fuel has very little to no bearing on how many mpg I get. If I drive with a heavy foot, I'll be lucky to get 15 mpg on my FX, but if I drive conservatively I can easily pull 17.5 mpg (city driving). And thats all on the same grade of fuel. Can I afford the extra few bucks for 91 octane? F*ck yeah. But I don't feel like doing it and they both run fine. If it were truly necessary for the VQ35DE to run ONLY on premium fuel, then the manufacturer would say that and Infiniti would void the warranty if you didn't use it.

On a similar note, I hope your friends understand that the FX is not a cheap vehicle to fill up at the gas station. I average around 16.5 mpg on the display/330 miles per tank. The tank holds around 20 gallons, and at $3.39 per gallon, I'm paying over $65 to fill up my FX every 10 days. It costs me $195 per month to fill up. Your friends will definately pay a price to drive such an amazing vehicle.
That is the answer i was hoping to get... Someone that has tried it and not someone just stating their opinion. Thank you for taking the time to post. You post seems to be one of the few of any value on this thread. I truely appreciate it.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:06 AM
That is the answer i was hoping to get... Someone that has tried it and not someone just stating their opinion. Thank you for taking the time to post. You post seems to be one of the few of any value on this thread. I truely appreciate it.
No problem. I was thinking the same thing as I read this entire thread. I've noticed on this forum that there are a lot of certified opinions, but not a whole lot of facts. Interestingly, I think only one other person who posted a response in this section actually owns a FX. I'm glad I could help you out.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 AM
94 Octane

Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Unocal 91

Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
straight 93 in the tank.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Lucky, Wish higher octane was easily avail. Nevertheless, I'm tuned for Cal crap 91.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I used to put in 89. But after my ecu flash w/ technosquare I am stuck with the $4.00 91 octane.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Chevron 94 in the G
Chevron 92 in the Prelude
cheap stuff from any good gas station in the MPV

Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 AM
91-93

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What fuel do you all use?