The FX-Spot For General discussion of the FX35/FX45

2004 Laser Red FX35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010 | 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by jumbosrule

Front tire on backwards FTW It makes me laugh every time someone that is modding there vehicle posts pictures and the tire(s) are on backwards I am not trying to be a d1ck but it just makes me laugh

Old 04-07-2010 | 05:01 PM
|
I deserve that for posting those photos. But what you don't know is that I drive everywhere backwards.

I rotated the tires not realizing they were directional - changed them back the next day after somebody pointed it out.

More recent photos:

Last edited by jumbosrule; 04-08-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2010 | 03:40 PM
I spotted a red FX in my town yesterday n today. damn its pretty

Old 04-14-2010 | 05:19 PM
Saw another one today on Wilson Blvd..

Old 04-27-2010 | 11:46 AM
|
Custom intercooled turbo & built VQ

As I decided to go with a turbo application, I knew the limiting hardware would be my engine. The VQ engine can be boosted on stock internals in the range of 375 - 425 whp. More than that and the engine doesn't last very long according to forum lore. I also have a high mileage car - my FX has 110,000 miles on it, starting from 0 when I bought it new in 2004. So it just made sense for me to build the engine for more than I really need to ensure longevity. The next weakest link is the connecting rods. The longblock package I have purchased is essentially giving me a brand new motor with forged aftermarket internals. My core is being swapped out for an engine that is currently being built. This is a similar package to what I'm getting, but not exact:

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1vqloblni3.html

Wiseco Pistons .020 over
Eagle/SCAT H Beam Rods
ARP Rod Bolts
Block inspected and cleaned
Block redecked
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
Rotating assembly balanced
Crank magnafluxed and the journals micro-polished
New Moly coated Race Spec main bearings installed
New Moly coated Race Spec rod bearings installed
Block prepped and assembled
New OEM VQ35HR Head Gaskets
Heads inspected and cleaned
Heads redecked
Ported exhaust and intake runners
3 angle valve job
New OEM Valve stem seals installed
Valve Stem Heights set
Cold Clearance set for stock cams
Heads prepped and assembled
New OEM Rev-up Oil Pump
Heads bolted to block and torqued to spec

This long block work makes my VQ happy up until about 650whp. That's more than I need and perfect for keeping a lower power goal on my engine safe for miles to come.

The turbo manifold we will use comes from a custom G35 that made 550whp on Powerfab's dyno. Some of the same tubing will be modified to fit my FX, with changes for fitment of the wastegate, BOV and turbo in the engine bay. All hot side pipes are ceramic coated and use V-band clamps. Plan is to place the turbo about where the Stillen CAI currently sits.

The intercooler will be a custom installation. The downpipe will Y-split off to the stock cats, using the dual Stillen exhaust.

Fuel delivery has been upgraded to an aftermarket fuel return style system that allows boost referenced fuel pressure regulation. Here's the kit:

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/catdes2.htm

And I'll be using an upgraded fuel pump (Walboro 255), injectors and spark plugs as well.

The turbo selected is a GT35R, good for delivering 500-550whp on a 3.5L engine. This is output is under the build level of the engine purposefully for safety and reliability. I want another 100K+ miles out of this engine.

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_tc_gt_35r.htm

Flow to the turbocharger will be controlled with a 44mm wastegate
http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_44.htm

And intake pressure will be regulated by the 50mm BOV

http://www.tialsport.com/prod_bv_q.htm

Of course, the whole plan hinges on the EMS & tuning - a Haltech platinum pro ECU with added boost control, wideband sensor and IAT sensors in place of the MAF.

These are the core components of my build. As I get progress photos and things develop and mature, I'll be updating the thread with as much info as I can.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 04-27-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2010 | 12:29 PM
|
In the shop for install!

Old 05-08-2010 | 02:35 AM
Wow, first red one I've seen. So ****nng sexy! I hate the grill and front wind deflector other than that; WOW.

Old 05-08-2010 | 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by fullvietfx
wow, first red one i've seen. So ****nng sexy! I hate the grill and front wind deflector other than that; wow.
+1000000000000000

Old 05-08-2010 | 02:08 PM
|
Thanks all! I've been thinking about painting all the grey trim, including the wind deflector to body color.

Also thinking about painting both the upper and lower billet grill black, but I might have to wait until after the trim work is completed so I can get a better feel for what it will look like. I'm not sure the red/black theme has the same class as the chrome trim does. I've always liked the billet grill on my FX but the photos don't do it justice. It's definitely the one thing the most people don't like about my FX, but that's ok - I still love it!

Old 05-11-2010 | 05:54 AM
FX sure is sexy in red...

Old 05-17-2010 | 03:50 PM
Any updates on your turbo install

Old 05-18-2010 | 10:14 AM
|
Originally Posted by allanmaxt
Any updates on your turbo install
Longblock machine work will be completed this Saturday, so the real work will really start next week. Up till now we've been collecting parts and have everything in house except for the fuel return system parts and the turbo housing (both these parts were on back-order from CJM & Garrett, respectively). Now expect to have the install completed sometime early next month.

Old 05-25-2010 | 08:22 PM
|
built VQ

I stopped by the shop today to check out my longblock package with rev-up oil pump, HR head gaskets and pathfinder cooling mod.

And my FX up on the lift - engine and tranny pulled out:

The new motor should be installed before the end of the week. Updates to come...

Old 06-04-2010 | 12:27 PM
|
Build is slipping a bit cuz I requested some ceramic coatings that took a couple more days than we wanted.

In the mean time, the fuel system is coming together. Injectors, rails & runners are now assembled to the heads.

Fuel pump ready for the tank:

Motor should be mated up to the transmission in the next couple days. Updates next week!

Old 06-07-2010 | 04:17 PM
The build looks great. Love the LR FX too; there was one in Cincinnati when I was buying my sedan. I really wanted it because I'd never seen one, but the perfect G sedan (all options, except it's a 6MT) appeared in Chicago for a great price.

Oh well...

Good job on going single turbo, a GT35R will give you a great powerband.

However, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T PAINT THE INTERIOR TRIM RED!!! It's too much color for any interior surface.

Red stitching on the seats would be a great way to get the color theme going without it looking overly gaudy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2004 Laser Red FX35