The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Driving 40-45mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the engine has enough low end torque to skip gears. I guess you can do it but it's too slow for me.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:07 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
I'm sorry, but what is double clutch ?

Old 07-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MasterAv
Your syncros are actually wearing down alot faster if you do what chilibowl explained in a 4-2 downshift...To stop wear in syncros, you not only have to revmatch, but you also have to double clutch. Most people don't double clutch because in today's modern cars, the syncros are rhobust enough to handle it. Revmatching and double clutching are two different things, a lot of people think they're the same. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission to really learn how a manual tranny works. Pay special attention to the internals->shafts and synchromesh sections to get the lowdown on syncro shiz. I also thought they were the same thing until one of my friends enlighened me
You shouldn't double clutch syncho-mesh gearboxes. Here's a reference for your purusal:
http://www.singster.co.uk/mascot%20m...003%20(4).html

Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FAST1
You shouldn't double clutch syncho-mesh gearboxes. Here's a reference for your purusal:
http://www.singster.co.uk/mascot%20m...003%20(4).html
Exactly, you dont need to double clutch, we are not in the year 1945 in a 4 speed Chevy. You ever see JDM track racers ever double clutch? No, they heal-toe revmatch before a turn. Double clutching is old news.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin
no, read that in a magazine. they said the car actually accelerated faster doing the skip. they said it was the only car they ever tested that accelerated faster doing the skip. i used to have an a4 c5, so i always paid attention to the corvette stories.
No way. I currently own a manual transmission C5 track car and I can say, without a doubt, this is false. Sorry.

I mean, it makes no sense, right? Does your G feel faster going from 1-4? Of course not. The C5 is no different, even with a substantial torque advantage over the G.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
I think hes talking about an automatic C5. And yes, its impossible that a car can be faster from a 1-4 shift rather than a 1-2 shift. The 1-4 shift in automatic C5's was for pure MPG efficiency. If you were to be just cruising it would do the 1-4 shift, but if you were to be flooring it, it would shift to 2nd gear, trust me I know this, Ive been in my uncles automatic C5 many many many many times.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
The 1-4 shift in automatic C5's was for pure MPG efficiency. If you were to be just cruising it would do the 1-4 shift, but if you were to be flooring it, it would shift to 2nd gear, trust me I know this, Ive been in my uncles automatic C5 many many many many times.
We're talking about manual transmissions here, not autos. There is no computer mandated 1-4 shift in auto C5s -- none, nada. The 1-4 "skip shift" is only in manual transmission C5s and is knows as CAGS (computer aided gear selection). Most people spend $17.95 to buy the CAGS eliminator, which prevents this annoying interference.

If your uncle's auto C5 is shifting from 1-4, there's something wrong with his transmission.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:42 PM
well, when they test cars, they burn out in 1st, so maybe the tires don't hook up right if you go to 2nd after redlining 1st. also, i wasn't sure whether it was a 1-4 skip, i thought it was a smaller skip

also they're using standard equipment, not race prepped cars. the emt goodyears were hard and not sticky like the z06 goodyears

Last edited by mistermojorizin; 07-26-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 35Blaze
What gear does everybody have the tranny in when driving around 40-45mph? I was driving down the street at 43mph and i shifted into 5th gear. The person riding shotgun asked me "what the hell are you doing?" He told me the driving at 43mph in 5th gear will ruin my tranny faster than normal. Is this true? My RPMs are at about 1900 going 40mph.
For best economy, get into top gear ASAP (without lugging the engine). 40-50 mph is high enough for top gear.
For accellerating tho, be sure to gear down.

C.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kraqcommando
wait why would you push higher rpms to down shift?
Next time on the road, try driving in 2nd gear at 40 mph...notice your RPM is around 4.5K. Now drive in 4th gear at 40 mph...you should notice that your RMP is around 2.5K. So if you want to go from 4th gear to 2nd gear at 40 mph you should press down on the clutch petal, rev your engine up from 2.5k RPM to 4.5k RPM, and then shift from 4th to 2nd to get a smooth transition. If you don't rev match, you will damage the gear box/tranny.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
see, i wish there was a driving school that taught all this stuff, especially to people like me who are new at manual transmissions......... none of that defensive driving crap, we already know that stuff, we dont want our G's to get bent up....... but i want a place where i can go and get a few lessons on properly driving a manual before i go out on my own and develop bad habits cause i just didnt know any better

Old 07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rob40wilson03
see, i wish there was a driving school that taught all this stuff, especially to people like me who are new at manual transmissions......... none of that defensive driving crap, we already know that stuff, we dont want our G's to get bent up....... but i want a place where i can go and get a few lessons on properly driving a manual before i go out on my own and develop bad habits cause i just didnt know any better
They DO. Try looking in your phonebook for a driving school, and they should have manual transmission lessons as well. The class will probably be full of highschoolers, but its better that toasting your new tranny

Old 07-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
...but its better that toasting your new tranny
Wow, I think there's quite a bit of hyperbole in this thread. Rev matching on a downshift, while a good thing to do on paper, won't result in a blown up tranny if you don't -- especially in most daily driving situations.

Think about it - the typical driver isn't going to be interested in rev matching their Camry/Accord/Civic/Pickup/any-other-car-with-a-manual-tranny/etc., yet you don't hear about those trannys prematurely failing, right? That's because most modern day trannys can handle it under normal driving conditions, including the one in the G.

Rev matching on downshifts is primarily beneficial on a racetrack, when failure to do it could cause the wheels to momentarily lock up under braking, resulting in the car losing control, spinning, etc.

As for cars with SMG (BMW) or DSG (Audi, VW) type gear boxes, they can rev match when downshifting because the computer does it, not the driver -- see my point above about most drivers having no interest (or skill for that matter) in doing it.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Don't get too scientific about it people. No one taught me how to drive a manual and I don't really know how the internals work and 153K later (not talking about my G) my gearbox feels like the day I bought it. Just use your common sense and NOTHING will happen to your G's.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
4th gear. Don't shift to 3rd gear under 20mph because you are lugging your engine!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving 40-45mph