The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

$37 for an oil change?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
$60 for a Mobil 1 synthetic at Jiffy Lube. and they top off all the other fluids.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patman530
Good to know... are you an attorney?
No, but I write/participate in international standards definitions, and we have legions of lawyers from each partipant company checking our language, so we are made well aware of legal ramifications of every word we use

Old 08-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually have infiniti do it but i found out that they don't use full synthetic.. its mixed with half synthetic and half regular oil. So then i do it myself which save me alot of money but i found out that my warranty will be no good when i bring the car in and i don't have any documents stating that i did my oil change so i have to bring my car to jiffylube which cost about 55 bucks for full synthetic oil.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just take it to Nissan. I had it done and it was about $24.95. Can't beat that, since our engine is the same as the 350Z, so they would have a good idea of what to do.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:19 AM
I like taking mine to the dealer to do it. Sure it costs $44 after taxes and stuff ( I never got free oil changes - all you guys who did are lucky!), but they do a good job, change the oil and filter, wash the car, 27 point inspection, rotate the tires, and send you off in a loaner car to get on with the rest if the day instead of having to wait. They are also really good about wanting to please the customer. When I got my first oil change, I asked them to fix one of the squeaks near my cup holders; they put some felt there and it stopped squeaking.

When I had my QX4 also, I took it to the Infiniti dealer for every service, and it was well worth it. But back then, oil changes were only $33 after tax.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
we have full synthetic quaker state available at my dealership but a regular oil change is around $43 after tax plus a free wash and vacuum -- jiffy lube doesnt have free car washes anymore

Old 08-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
We're you leaning over at the time.....................?

Originally Posted by madscientist
$60 for a Mobil 1 synthetic at Jiffy Lube. and they top off all the other fluids.
Wow, they must do a really good job for $60! I order
my K&N filters on line for $8.38 each and when I get
three shipping is free. I watch auto parts adds for
their sales and usually pick up Mobil 1 for around
$4 per qt. So......that's $28.38 and if I take my G
to a buddys shop he charges me $10 lift charge or
I do it in my garage. No I wouldn't let a stealership
wash my G......just isn't smart! Been there done
that.....never again! All you need to do is watch how
they work.....soap....filthy mit....skum bag doing
the work.....when you leave soap/water pour out
of the mirrors, doors, gas filler and trunk...not me!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn i guess prices must've gone up for oil changes, they use to be around $20 - $25 for me... weird...

i would do it myself, but my car is too low, and i don't have the necessary tools, so that is why i'm asking...

Old 08-21-2006, 01:21 AM
you buy an infiniti.you have to pay for keeping it up

Old 08-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by nyckid
damn i guess prices must've gone up for oil changes, they use to be around $20 - $25 for me... weird...

i would do it myself, but my car is too low, and i don't have the necessary tools, so that is why i'm asking...
+1
I buy 5 Qts of Mobil 1 at Walmart and a nissan oil filter and take it to a local garage. Garage charges me $18 to change the oil. All totalled, about $50. Dealer wanted $60 something for an oil change with Mobil 1. I wouldn't mind, but sometimes it's hard to get an appointment at the dealer.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me taking a G35 to Jiffy Lube, etc. is like dropping your kid off in the bad part of town to go to school, and driving away.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 PM
hwa
Originally Posted by Nismo G
37.00 is cheap man, around here a oil change cost anywhere from $40-50 dollars. I know at jiffy Lube it cost $55 Im in sarasota florida though....

To change the oil myself it cost me around 40 dollars + with 5 quarts of mobile 1 and mobile 1 filter.

Never ever EVER get an oil change at Jiffy Lube....One of my friends used to work at one and he'd tell me some horror stories about the other workers (and managers!) just changing the oil without taking out the filter and wiping it down a bit to make it seem new or just not changing the oil at all. He actually pointed out the G as one of the cars they would occasionally perform no service on at all due to the more-difficult-than-average task of getting to the pan. Of course, the customer would be told otherwise...

Apparently Jiffy Lube employees are mostly backyard mechanics. Stick with a place like Midas where they require some sort of certification from their guys.

If you ever get your oil changed by someone else, always ask them to give you the old filter.

Last edited by hwa; 08-21-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
every jiffy lube is runned differently so you can't really generalize each shop

Old 08-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fortified
To me taking a G35 to Jiffy Lube, etc. is like dropping your kid off in the bad part of town to go to school, and driving away.
i don't get it, you get to watch your car for the whole 20 minutes the oil change takes, see them putting a new filer on, and see them pouring the mobil 1 in out of the plastic bottles.

and yes, it costs $60 at the one i take it to.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by madscientist
i don't get it, you get to watch your car for the whole 20 minutes the oil change takes, see them putting a new filer on, and see them pouring the mobil 1 in out of the plastic bottles.
It's more like taking your kid to see Dr. Nick Riviera.

All kidding aside, I think the previous poster wasn't talking about when you bring in your own oil and filter. But all that aside, I wouldn't even take my beater to Jiffy Lube. However, a while ago I got into some argument with some guy that used to work at jiffy lube. So to be clear, most likely the jiffy lubes that suck, are the ones that aren't franchised.

I know my brother's horrific experience with them screwing up his tranny while getting an oil change (long story), was at a non-franchised shop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $37 for an oil change?!?