The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

$37 for an oil change?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$37 for an oil change?!?

My free oil change/maintenance is all used up, i called this shop to get a quote on how much it would cost for an oil change and they said $37. WTF? Is this how much it usually costs?

I mean its a decent shop, and plus my car is lowered, i'm afraid to try my luck anywhere else...

where do you guys with lowered coupes go for oil changes? I just don't want them people not giving a damn about my car. I had enough of that already. Just being very cautious this time where I take my car to.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Diy

Old 08-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
37.00 is cheap man, around here a oil change cost anywhere from $40-50 dollars. I know at jiffy Lube it cost $55 Im in sarasota florida though....

To change the oil myself it cost me around 40 dollars + with 5 quarts of mobile 1 and mobile 1 filter.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
i didnt even get free oil changes..

by dealer said its 35 bucks but it includes a free car wash

Old 08-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I pay $45 at my local Infiniti & Nissan dealer service. Surprisingly, Nissan oil change is the same price as Infiniti. Infiniti = better service, but Nissan = does not need appointment

Old 08-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
nissan is 5 bucks cheaper i think over here

Old 08-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't get the car wash... Unless you like swirlmarks....

Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
YEA.... 37 is definitely cheap

Old 08-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you pay someone to change your oil? It is not that hard.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
37.00 is cheap man, around here a oil change cost anywhere from $40-50 dollars. I know at jiffy Lube it cost $55 Im in sarasota florida though....

To change the oil myself it cost me around 40 dollars + with 5 quarts of mobile 1 and mobile 1 filter.
have u heard the news about jiffy lube? go search for the clip online.. u'll never go back there

Old 08-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeyboylawyer
Yeah I rather have the dealer do it.
I guess you haven't heard the horror stories of some people here with blown motors cause of oil consumption.
One particular person right now has a big fight with the dealer cause they won't warranty his motor cause he did his own oil changes.
Supposedly at least on my receipt it says they change the bolt and washer every time.
Personally I don't mind going to the dealer and having them inspect the car at the same time as when getting my oil change done and Documented.

Small piece of mind

Last edited by Glex25; 08-18-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by monkeyboylawyer
It's tough if you don't have a driveway or a good space to work in. Also, as far as the warranty goes, if regular service records ever needed to be shown to prove the car was maintained, how would this be done if the service has been done by yourself? I'm not knocking those of you who change your own oil, just curious on how that would work.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glex25
Yeah i rather have the dealer do it.
I guess you haven't heard the horro stories of some people here with blown motors cause of oil consumption.
One particular person right now has a big fight with the dealer cause they wont warranty his motor cause he did his own oil changes.
Supposedly at least on my receipt it says they change the bolt and washer.
Personally I don't mind going to the dealer and having them inspect the car at the same time as when getting my oil change done and Documented.

Small piece of mind
Absophuckinglutely. DOCUMENTED is the word. The key is to not let the dealer talk you into stupid **** they want you to think you need. Basically, get the oil/filter/trans services done by them and do the rest yourself. My car is out of warantee now, but I used to bring a jug of M1 oil and filter to them, they would charge $18 for labor and I would get a wash/vacuum. Cheap insurance me thinks.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by patman530
Also, as far as the warranty goes, if regular service records ever needed to be shown to prove the car was maintained, how would this be done if the service has been done by yourself? I'm not knocking those of you who change your own oil, just curious on how that would work.
You don't need to prove you maintainted your car. They need to prove you didn't.

And if you wanted to get legal/technical, you aren't explicitely "required" to maintain your car. Yes, it's a very good idea to, but legally speaking you're not required to. People can argue that the warranty says to maintain your car, but if you read it carefully, it says to follow the owner's manual instructions. Page 8-2 says to refer to the maintenence guide.

Page 7 of this maintenence guide says, "You should follow one of the 3 maintenence schedules...."

Page 11 of the maintenence guide says, "The following Maintenence Log has been compiled by Infiniti to assist you in performing the recommended maintenence services..."

There are clear/explicit legal differences between the words, "Should, Recommended", and "Must, Mandatory, Required", etc.

(Can you tell this kind of stuff is my profession? )

Acura tried the same BS on me with my TL and my transmission, but when I pointed these things out, they sided with me and re-instated my warranty and replaced my transmission free of charge.

They tried to claim I failed to properly maintain my tranmission. (Don't worry, I'm not advocating neglecting your car, and I actually did properly maintain it).

Old 08-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by avs007
You don't need to prove you maintainted your car. They need to prove you didn't.

And if you wanted to get legal/technical, you aren't explicitely "required" to maintain your car. Yes, it's a very good idea to, but legally speaking you're not required to. People can argue that the warranty says to maintain your car, but if you read it carefully, it says to follow the owner's manual instructions. Page 8-2 says to refer to the maintenence guide.

Page 7 of this maintenence guide says, "You should follow one of the 3 maintenence schedules...."

Page 11 of the maintenence guide says, "The following Maintenence Log has been compiled by Infiniti to assist you in performing the recommended maintenence services..."

There are clear/explicit legal differences between the words, "Should, Recommended", and "Must, Mandatory, Required", etc.

(Can you tell this kind of stuff is my profession? )

Acura tried the same BS on me with my TL and my transmission, but when I pointed these things out, they sided with me and re-instated my warranty and replaced my transmission free of charge.

They tried to claim I failed to properly maintain my tranmission. (Don't worry, I'm not advocating neglecting your car, and I actually did properly maintain it).
Good to know... are you an attorney?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $37 for an oil change?!?