The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans
View Poll Results: What kind of gas do you use?
Super
90.58%
Mid
3.59%
Reg
5.83%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2006 | 04:05 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
my dealer encouraged me to use regular unleaded..he said as long as i start using regular unleaded and stay consistent i will be fine..

nonetheless i still use "super" or premium..

The person at your dealer saying that is not competent. Running regular is not recommended and can cause problems with pre ignition and engine damage.

Good thing you made the decision to follow the manufacturer recommendations.

Old 08-20-2006 | 04:49 PM
There is no difference in the actual gasoline itself, Its the additives that they put into the gasoline before it gets delivered to the stations. Which is why the V-power is the best gasoline out there. This additive increases fuel economy and also keeps your engine clean. Plus its a 93 octane which is excellent in its own.

Old 08-20-2006 | 05:10 PM
I am running a 50 / 50 mixture of 101 and 91 in my baby

Old 08-20-2006 | 05:51 PM
I'll defend the 60k guy here a bit. I live in canada and a fully loaded coupe('06) is about 60k canadian.I have an "04 sedan with aero,premium and alpine nav.Rest of the car is stock,price in '04=46k. I bought it 2 months ago with 37,000 kilometers on it(thats about 26,000miles) for 31k(considered a steal here,but my cousins the sales manager).When I see pictures posted with the Skyline tag I get a kick out of it,because most G owners here have never heard of or seen that tag.
Oh, my vehicle before the G was a Grand Caravan......

And I use sunoco ultra 94 fuel.

Rubber Side Down Brothers.

Old 08-20-2006 | 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by timbo
I've heard this argument about how there's no difference so many times. All I know is that when I kept using regular or plus in my old car which said premium fuel only, it made funny engine noises like there's something wrong with it.
Note, the statement about "premium fuel only". My 2004 Auto only says Premium recommended, minimum 87 octane required.

I've used a mixture, and haven't noticed anything difference, either in gas mileage or performance. But I don't push it as much as some do.

My 10 year old truck, at times of the year, requires better than 87 octane or it pings. The other 8 months of the year, it works fine on 87. So I try to keep at least 89 octane in it.

Old 08-20-2006 | 08:30 PM
Oh boy.

Its perfectly ok to use regular gas if its a relatively modern car. The electronics and fuel injection and computer software in all the newer cars will remap the engine to run on the regular gasoline mixture completely fine. For older cars with older electronics and software, its more important to stick with the grade they recommend. For anything built since about 2000, its all handled by software. The software handles it in real time. This "keep using the same grade so my engine learns it" stuff is just nonsense. Your engine is making air/mixture/grade diagnoses a bazllion times a second on the fly. What was in your last tank is absolutely meaningless. This is also why you can fill 1/2 tank with premium and 1/2 with regular and you dont "suddenly" feel a jolt in the car because the engine "doesnt understand regular".

Do you not realize they have to build these cars to do precisely this anyhow because in different parts of the country the grades of gasoline differ. Just like theres a winter grade and summer grade. The software handles all of this.

Now, will you have the exact same performance as putting in the super? Maybe not. But today's cars can handle gas of just about any grade completely fine and anyone telling you different is just continuing to live the lie.

You can be certain when my G35X arrives, it will be getting nothing but regular until the gas prices subside a bit more. The performance difference between grades will be so indistinguishable in lieu of my driving habits anyway that I will never honestly miss anything.

Old 08-20-2006 | 09:20 PM
Damn "Super, Premium, Supreme" is 91 here in Cali. That's what I have used and always will use.

Mid grade is 89 and regular is 87. WAY too low for the G.

Old 08-20-2006 | 10:00 PM
try accelerating on reg and on super and you will feel the difference!!!

Old 08-20-2006 | 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Fassster10
try accelerating on reg and on super and you will feel the difference!!!
+1 on this one! I ran a TL loaner w/ supreme and one with regular, and the difference in performance was like night and day!

Old 08-21-2006 | 01:42 AM
In Canada, we have Chevron 94 octane...this is the only gas I use...and with taxes etc...I paid $55,000 for my car, It was a good deal! with Navigation it would have been 59,000 and change...

Old 08-21-2006 | 02:44 AM
It is only a difference of about 5 dollars from filling up with regular or premium...if you cant afford to spend the extra 5 dollars on premium gas why are you driving a G in the first place?

Old 08-21-2006 | 03:23 PM
Lots of well maintained cars have been running around for years on regular. That's why I don't buy into the 'more additives' argument. (You rarely see the ads about buying only premium for more additives anymore).
But if a car is tuned and designed, based on compression ratio, (probably the biggest factor) to run on high octane, then follow the mfr's. recommendation and use it! The G car falls into that category IMO.

Old 08-21-2006 | 04:08 PM
EZZ
Originally Posted by fortified
Lots of well maintained cars have been running around for years on regular. That's why I don't buy into the 'more additives' argument. (You rarely see the ads about buying only premium for more additives anymore).
But if a car is tuned and designed, based on compression ratio, (probably the biggest factor) to run on high octane, then follow the mfr's. recommendation and use it! The G car falls into that category IMO.
I believe if the mfg recommends premium and you keep sticking in 87, you're outta luck if engine failure occurs. I hear engines run a pretty penny.

Old 08-22-2006 | 04:02 PM
been running chevron 91 since the day i got my g... unless of course there are no chevrons around at all then I look to shell or something. same goes for my 2k2 6spd maxima... it had a mixture of chevron, 76, shell, and even the occassional arco (all 91 supreme or premium of course) since some booney towns don't have chevrons nearby.

Old 08-22-2006 | 11:16 PM
hwa
Premium car = Premium care.
This idea has been beaten to death, but for good reason. You don't buy a $32k+ vehicle and expect to pay the same amount that you spent taking care of your daily drive (unless this is your daily drive...). Almost every aspect of upkeep from the parts to most forms of maintainence will come at elevated prices. And this is excluding any mention of performance modifications. The extra $2-4 per fillup should be an expectation when you buy any vehicle that directly suggests, as a standard, premium gasoline.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What kind of gas do you use?