The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Remote start Cons? more than pros or not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Props only if its like mine... Only if you can remote start the car with the 6 speed.!!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most remote kits were originally designed for automatic vehicles..if u use a kit from an automatic ther is a relay and module for manual tranz applications so it wont start in gear.[safety] FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS !!

Old 10-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Remote start is a great feature. I had mine installed 4 months ago and i love it.
Most of my friends have them too and none of them ever had any problems.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:03 PM
compustar alarms remote start will not start the car if you are in gear.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by filanj
in no way did i state or imply that my sister's bf's car caught on fire. what i said happened is exactly what i stated above. the car started in reverse and drove backwards down the street, ending up in his neighbors garage. nothing about it catching on fire. the only reason i mentioned anything about the bursting into flames thing was to completely disregard his friends stupid comment about what if. I did not post a what if, i posted an it happened.
sorry i read into the post incorrectly,actually if someone installed a viper on a manual than it was installed incorrectly as viper does not make a standard car starter,but they do make a 456m module(standard conversion) that sucks and i would never install one for that reason.its funny on the first page of a viper manual it says for automatic transmission only and then they make a silly add on. did your sis's ex-bf have the 456m or was it just wired with the black/white wire to the ebrake.i have seen people do that before and yeah its scary.sorry for the misunderstanding

Old 10-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i posted this in another thread so I just cut & paste...

our cars will not start without the transponder chip sending a signal to ECU
so ...in order for the remote start to work they put the valet key or an extra transponder chip in the car ...which means there is always a transponder chip in ur car now
...so now ur car can be stolen as easy as a 92 civic

my advice only get remote start if ur not to worried about getting ur baby stolen

Old 10-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Remote start is the best thing since sliced bread.

I had the dealership up date the factory unit for it.

The cost was a hell of lot less than the number you are throwing out there and it also is covered under the warrantee.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by superduperjeff
sorry i read into the post incorrectly,actually if someone installed a viper on a manual than it was installed incorrectly as viper does not make a standard car starter,but they do make a 456m module(standard conversion) that sucks and i would never install one for that reason.its funny on the first page of a viper manual it says for automatic transmission only and then they make a silly add on. did your sis's ex-bf have the 456m or was it just wired with the black/white wire to the ebrake.i have seen people do that before and yeah its scary.sorry for the misunderstanding
no worries. it happened about 6 years ago. i do not recall the specifics of how it was installed. I remember it being a Viper unit... ran him about $500+ .. after it happened though he got ride of it and got a different system. he sold the new one with the car and hasn't gotten another one since. That is why I have always hindered from putting one in my car.. with my luck it would happen to me too! lol

Old 10-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by Paperchaser

so ...in order for the remote start to work they put the valet key or an extra transponder chip in the car ...which means there is always a transponder chip in ur car now

my advice only get remote start if ur not to worried about getting ur baby stolen

anybody else agree with this?

Old 10-07-2006, 03:07 AM
i have remote start the only complain that i have is replacing the battery...you'll love remote start especially during the summer and winter times when you have the a/c or heater on before you reach the car...

Old 10-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Paperchaser

not really that easy,seeming that when you do the install i grind down the cuts on the key,but there are immobilizer data bypass modules as well,some installers love them ,some hate them,but either way you would have to disassemble the dash find the box that holds the key and remove it ,unscrew it and get the key and if it is ground down,pull the ign cylinder and then bust the steering lock and then hold the key to the barrell,if you havent damaged it by removing the cylinder and using a standard screwdriver turn the ign,really unlikely.just my opinion

Old 10-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't worry about having the transponder chip in the car. It only bypasses the system when the remote start is triggered, so it doesn't permanently bypass the system. As stated above the thief would have to tear your dash apart, locate the box, open it up and remove the key just to have the transponder chip. The key should be ground down (or uncut) so it can't start the car.

The Nissan transponder system is a joke anyway, and can by bypassed by a knowledgable thief in under 60 seconds. I wouldn't trust my car to the OEM transponder system....

Old 10-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
I wouldn't worry about having the transponder chip in the car. It only bypasses the system when the remote start is triggered, so it doesn't permanently bypass the system. As stated above the thief would have to tear your dash apart, locate the box, open it up and remove the key just to have the transponder chip. The key should be ground down (or uncut) so it can't start the car.

The Nissan transponder system is a joke anyway, and can by bypassed by a knowledgable thief in under 60 seconds. I wouldn't trust my car to the OEM transponder system....
Dope thanks

Old 10-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson

I agree ...but the problem is a theif will not have to rip ur dash apart to find it. 99.9% of the time the box that holds the extra transponder is behind the lower driver side dash panel (panel under the steering wheel) somewhere in between the steering wheel & radio console its a black box not hard to miss.
a pulley will take out the ignition in about 20 sec. ....there goes ur ride

for those that dont agree or are just not worried its cool.
I buy a lot of salvage cars mostly stolen recoveries because they are very easy to fix (usually no damage just parts missing)
i fixed & sold 3 G coupes & 1 sedan already
3 were stolen recoveries out of the 3, 2 had remote starts & transponder was missing out of box when I got the car (go figure)

...just trying to pass on a little info here

if u get it anyway ...Pay xtra $$ & have the installer relocate ur transponder box to another part of the car may cost u an xtra $50 but its worth it

Last edited by Paperchaser; 10-08-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
A 'good' installer won't leave it right under the lower dash. At LEAST they'll stash it behind the knee plate (held in with 4 10mm bolts) which will slow the thief down considerably.

No part of an alarm should be easily visable/accessible if the lower dash piece is removed, if it is the install is worthless.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote start Cons? more than pros or not