The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Remote start Cons? more than pros or not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start Cons? more than pros or not

I'm really intrested in buying a remote statr by compustar specficly http://compustar.com/pro_security_with_remote_start.htm the first onme on the link. I got $700 installed quote. What i want to know is what are the cons of haveing a Remote start.

Last edited by KJG35; 10-06-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Florida G35 Club Premier Member
I have the remote start. Honestly, I don't really use it too much, especially cause my range on my remote is not as good as I had hoped. The only con i see about it is the risk that if you had the car in first gear and you remote start it, it'll go forward and crash. Since I never park in first and always use hand brake, this isn't a problem for me, but if I valet the car, the valet person might put it in first and hopely he wont' accidentally activate the remote start from the remote. It is pretty cool to start up the a/c while you walk towards the car though.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 AM
i always like to let my friends check out the inside of my car and then remote start it while they're looking and yell "wtf did you do!"

but besides safety reasons like above, no cons for me!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 AM
MIC
I thought all G35 coupes came with remote start stock. Or is that just on 2005/06 models?

Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my sister's ex-bf had a remote start in his mustang.. he had it in reverse parked in his driveway... the ebrake didn't engage tight enough... he got a call from his neighbor way down the street that his car just drove through and into his garage... he hit the starter by accident in his pocket.. started up and drove away!

Old 10-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Great thanks for the responces as for the first gear thing, i know for a fact that most new ( or at least by compustar) have a safty feature that it will not remote start if car is left in gear. However what i was worried about was and im not sure this is ture i heard from a friend, is that your car can catch fire cuz its a manual and all of the wires running around. That true? sounds well i dont know what do you guyz think

Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by KJG35
Great thanks for the responces as for the first gear thing, i know for a fact that most new ( or at least by compustar) have a safty feature that it will not remote start if car is left in gear. However what i was worried about was and im not sure this is ture i heard from a friend, is that your car can catch fire cuz its a manual and all of the wires running around. That true? sounds well i dont know what do you guyz think
your friend is an idiot. there are plenty of wire running all over the place anyway... he would be correct if they were insulated in paper and coated with gasoline though! lol.. but that is not the case

Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 AM
DONT LISTEN TO FRIENDS TALL TALES OF A CAR BURSTING INTO FLAMES OR DRIVING AWAY!I have been an installer for 17 years and have never seen a properly installed unit cause damage ,burst into flames or cause a car to drive away.Most of the time when stuff like that happens it was installed by an idiot that should not have been doing it in the first place.all compustars have saftey features installed to ensure that it will not start in gear and is really idiot proof.
I would say that 700.00 usd is about right for a g35 manual,pretty much what i would charge a customer here in canada,700usd=approx 750.00 can.if you have any questions please ask ,i am a compustar dealer.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by superduperjeff
DONT LISTEN TO FRIENDS TALL TALES OF A CAR BURSTING INTO FLAMES OR DRIVING AWAY!I have been an installer for 17 years and have never seen a properly installed unit cause damage ,burst into flames or cause a car to drive away.Most of the time when stuff like that happens it was installed by an idiot that should not have been doing it in the first place.all compustars have saftey features installed to ensure that it will not start in gear and is really idiot proof.
I would say that 700.00 usd is about right for a g35 manual,pretty much what i would charge a customer here in canada,700usd=approx 750.00 can.if you have any questions please ask ,i am a compustar dealer.
woah buddy... what are you implying here? no **** the car wont burst into flames, but how are you going to tell me that i am lying about my sister's ex-bf's car? were you there when or after it happend? i think not! i was and it did happen, so keep your accusations to your imagination.

The unit was a Viper Remote starter and the damages were paid for by Viper.
It was only a couple hundred dollars worth of damage so they didn't complain and YES it WAS PROFESSIONALLY and PROPERLY installed.. so if you want to blame a sh!tty install on someone, blame your colleagues for it happening, then Viper

Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Banned
it was a freak thing that happened and the chances of it happening again are slim

Old 10-06-2006, 01:58 AM
thanks

thanks alot guys. my friend were really starting to ruin my fun lol really apprecate it.

Last edited by KJG35; 10-06-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Banned
for the amount of money you would put into it, it is money that could be spent much more wisely... put a kinetix or crawford high flow plenum in your car.. that will impress your friends muuch more

Old 10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Florida G35 Club Premier Member
Well, the shop I got my alarm installed wouldn't even install the remote start on my car because of the fact that the car was manual and there was that risk of starting in gear. I had to take it to my other friend's audio shop. So, even professional shops are aware of the risks.

Although some remote starts may have a security feature to avoid this, many may not, regardless of how properly it was installed. I think it depends on the device more than how it was installed.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by filanj
woah buddy... what are you implying here? no **** the car wont burst into flames, but how are you going to tell me that i am lying about my sister's ex-bf's car? were you there when or after it happend? i think not! i was and it did happen, so keep your accusations to your imagination.

The unit was a Viper Remote starter and the damages were paid for by Viper.
It was only a couple hundred dollars worth of damage so they didn't complain and YES it WAS PROFESSIONALLY and PROPERLY installed.. so if you want to blame a sh!tty install on someone, blame your colleagues for it happening, then Viper
so without going into the whole story,i am guessing that the unit malfunctioned and started a fire,i am not saying it doesnt happen but i have never seen it happen in my 17 years of installing,i am not calling you a liar but if 10 cars /year in canada have a crippling defect within the remote starter and on average 350000 remote starts are installed in canada(manufacters data for the industry)i will take my chances,most units when properly installed have fuses that will pop incase of overcurrent or a direct short to ground,if not properly installed or if a larger fuse is subbed than yes the potential for a fire increases. and lets not forget just because someone works at a shop does not make them a professional,experience and the ability to perform quality work and training make someone a professional,not $8/hr at bestbuy.
and someone working out of their backyard ,no matter how many buddies they have done stuff for is the worst idea ever,but i love to charge people to fix it.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by superduperjeff
so without going into the whole story,i am guessing that the unit malfunctioned and started a fire,i am not saying it doesnt happen but i have never seen it happen in my 17 years of installing,i am not calling you a liar but if 10 cars /year in canada have a crippling defect within the remote starter and on average 350000 remote starts are installed in canada(manufacters data for the industry)i will take my chances,most units when properly installed have fuses that will pop incase of overcurrent or a direct short to ground,if not properly installed or if a larger fuse is subbed than yes the potential for a fire increases. and lets not forget just because someone works at a shop does not make them a professional,experience and the ability to perform quality work and training make someone a professional,not $8/hr at bestbuy.
and someone working out of their backyard ,no matter how many buddies they have done stuff for is the worst idea ever,but i love to charge people to fix it.

in no way did i state or imply that my sister's bf's car caught on fire. what i said happened is exactly what i stated above. the car started in reverse and drove backwards down the street, ending up in his neighbors garage. nothing about it catching on fire. the only reason i mentioned anything about the bursting into flames thing was to completely disregard his friends stupid comment about what if. I did not post a what if, i posted an it happened.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote start Cons? more than pros or not