The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

battery is dead, need a jump tommorow. So what should i do now.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery is dead, need a jump tommorow. So what should i do now.

today i left the key inside my G and left the lights on. The engine was running, just all the electicals. By the time i came back, the battery is dead, all the lights r dimished. then i shut off the car entirely and locked it
so my question is what should i do now? should i disconnect the battery(-)?
Or just leave it there and wait for a jump tommorow?
and is there anything that i need to aware of when the battery is jumped?
thanks

Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Just wait and jump it!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:13 AM
i have a feeling once you jump your car .. and turn it off .. the car will still be dead .. you might of drained your battery down to nothing .. if it does happen just replace your battery .. remove negative terminal first

Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
i have a feeling once you jump your car .. and turn it off .. the car will still be dead .. you might of drained your battery down to nothing .. if it does happen just replace your battery .. remove negative terminal first

oh noes...

Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 PM
should be able to jump it

Old 04-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I assume this is your stock battery? Just replace the battery at some auto store. Might want to have them check the alt too.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:21 PM
WTF? The guy leaves his headlights on and you guys are immediately suggesting a new battery and having the alternator tested? First of all, there's not a single reason any damage could have been done to the alternator. Second, although it's not good to totally drain a battery, unless it's really old I'm sure it's fine. As already stated, you cant simply have someone jump your car and then shut it off. Once the car is started you need to drive around so that the alternator can charge the battery.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by wuyichao
today i left the key inside my G and left the lights on. The engine was running, just all the electicals. By the time i came back, the battery is dead, all the lights r dimished. then i shut off the car entirely and locked itso my question is what should i do now? should i disconnect the battery(-)?
Or just leave it there and wait for a jump tommorow?
and is there anything that i need to aware of when the battery is jumped?
thanks
I hope this is a typo...

WAS the engine running or not? If it was and your light went out, something is weird here. If it was not running and you left the key in the ACC position with the lights on, that's no big deal. The best way to do this is to put a charger on it over night. Jumping cars with all the electronics we have is an "iffy" situation. It's best not to do it if you don't have to.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by AdamJ
WTF? The guy leaves his headlights on and you guys are immediately suggesting a new battery and having the alternator tested? First of all, there's not a single reason any damage could have been done to the alternator.
Your point is that just leaving the lights on should not have fully drained the guy's battery. Well, that is why someone suggested getting the alternator checked. If, as you say, the lights on drain was not sufficient to kill his battery, then his battery might not have been fully charged before he left the lights on, and he might very well have an alternator problem. We don't have all the facts or background here and people are trying to give him all the possibilities.

Second, although it's not good to totally drain a battery, unless it's really old I'm sure it's fine.
Again, we don't know how old the battery is, what condition it is/was in, whether it might have a bad cell, whether it was a cheap replacement battery, or even if it is the correct size. So, it is entirely possible his battery could be toast.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Dead battery...........

He just has a dead battery from leaving his lights on.......don't remove anything just get a jump and let your car run or drive it for a few miles. It
should be good as new (almost). From all the replies you'd think this was
something new........haha

Old 04-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Portable booster packs are great.

Get yourself one of those portable booster packs. They are inexpensive and have save me a few times.

They can be plug into the cars 12V cigarette outlet for a few minutes to recharge the battery (for cars with constant 12V supply to the connector), or you can use the equipped jumper cable to jump start the car.
They are compact and light. The one I have also has a built-in 110VAC outlet and cross wire safety protection.
Works great and will save your a$$ many times over!

Like other said, make sure to drive the car for awhile most of the electricals off to charge the battery.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A year ago I left my car on for awhile to charge my cell phone, forgetting that I had a car powered fridge in the back seat. Had to jump the car.

One year later, still on the OEM battery, it is working fine. I have a 2004, FWIW.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:24 PM
wuyichao

Dude, edit the subject title. I thought this was a baseball thread.

I thought that some baseball batter died and then someone jump on his bones and you had no clue wtf to do about it.... pleeeze.

Oh, get your ride a boost, run it around the bases for awile, then put it in the dougout, you'll be good to go ......

Old 04-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by AdamJ
WTF? The guy leaves his headlights on and you guys are immediately suggesting a new battery and having the alternator tested? First of all, there's not a single reason any damage could have been done to the alternator. Second, although it's not good to totally drain a battery, unless it's really old I'm sure it's fine. As already stated, you cant simply have someone jump your car and then shut it off. Once the car is started you need to drive around so that the alternator can charge the battery.
There are plenty of reasons why he may need a new battery. Simply jumping the battery and driving around may not restore the battery. Deep discharges, like leaving your lights on, is one of the biggest culprits for short battery life. Leaving his lights on could have damaged the battery or totally killed it. Plus, since the G comes doesn't come w/ a maintenance free battery, he might be low on fluid. Who knows, maybe his alternator belt needs to be replaced. All the reason to go get it checked out, not just drive around hoping it'll work .

Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
why wait - jump it now..who knows, you might be late for work 2morrow!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: battery is dead, need a jump tommorow. So what should i do now.