The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How does VDC actually work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does VDC actually work

I get what it does. How does it do that?

How does it sense when it needs to kick in? measure camber change, wheel spin/speed, etc? curious.

Tonight I came to the end of an offramp, making a hard left on steady throttle. Nothing this car shouldn't be able to handle. I'd done the same many times with my acura integra (stock) without issues but in the G the VDC kicked on and hit the front brakes for me (I've read thats what it does). Given the suspension and wheel/tires of this car it seems it should be able to handle more before the VDC kicks in.

Anyone have any insight they'd share?

07 g35 coupe 6mt.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
well be glad yours works iv needed mine a few times and it will not lick in. i even tryed testing it nope idk the lights on o well lol

idk how it works i wanna know to plz!!!

Last edited by Beebo; 07-29-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pantablo

How does it sense when it needs to kick in? measure camber change, wheel spin/speed, etc? curious.

Tonight I came to the end of an offramp, making a hard left on steady throttle. Nothing this car shouldn't be able to handle. I'd done the same many times with my acura integra (stock) without issues but in the G the VDC kicked on and hit the front brakes for me (I've read thats what it does). Given the suspension and wheel/tires of this car it seems it should be able to handle more before the VDC kicks in.

07 g35 coupe 6mt.
Youre comparing a FWD Integra to a near 300hp RWD G? Sorry to tell you, but in an Integra, you cannot kick the a.ss out on a corner, it will simply plow like a snowmobile. With more than 50% throttle in 2nd gear, you can easily get tail happy in the G. The VDC was just trying to keep you in line. If you want to take a turn fast, do it at high speed but with no throttle, VDC shouldnt bother you.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
VDC took some getting use to for me... it spooked me a few times when the car was new because I expected the car do one thing and the nanny-control made it do something else... sometimes it's more of a safety hindrance than a safety device. In slippery conditions it’s a benefit though.

I’ve learned to expect what is coming now.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Youre comparing a FWD Integra to a near 300hp RWD G? Sorry to tell you, but in an Integra, you cannot kick the a.ss out on a corner, it will simply plow like a snowmobile. With more than 50% throttle in 2nd gear, you can easily get tail happy in the G. The VDC was just trying to keep you in line. If you want to take a turn fast, do it at high speed but with no throttle, VDC shouldnt bother you.
thats kindof my point...if my integra can make the turn under same speed without plowing why would the tail of the G swing out? I'd expect the 19" wheels and stickier tires of the G to outperform my Integra's 16" wheels and Khumo's. I could in fact get the integra to understeer as you say, but was also able to get the rear to kick out if I wanted...

If I were ON the throttle I could see spinning up the wheels (in the G) but under steady throttle I dont see that happening.

For the record, I used to race autoX so I'm no stranger to the handling characteristics of a RWD car, having raced (2) 240z cars years ago.

So, no one has yet answered my actual question. HOW does it sense the need to kick on and how does it work when it does?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

07 g35 coupe 6mt.

It works based on speed differences between the wheels and yaw control that senses steering wheel angle. It will actually operate each brake independently as required and not just the front brakes.

It should not operate the way you are describing unless you are encouraging wheel spin or have changed wheel/tire size to disrupt the front to rear OE balance and size ratio and/or your alignment or sensor calbration is off significantly. The G should easily outhandle your Integra without engaging VDC. I have tracked my car several times and the system is actually quite unobtrusive when left on and coupled with the VLSD.

You might want to consider getting an alignment done and at the same time have the steering angle sensor recalibrated or just the recalibration. The calibration is a good possibility of your problem.

G/L

Old 07-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
So, no one has yet answered my actual question. HOW does it sense the need to kick on and how does it work when it does?
to my knowledge there are sensors that detect wheel spin... when it does, throttle is cut briefly and brake is applied to the spinning wheel... if you need detailed technical explanation someone else would need to answer.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
This is from the Infiniti web site.

John

Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 PM
thats kindof my point...if my integra can make the turn under same speed without plowing why would the tail of the G swing out? I'd expect the 19" wheels and stickier tires of the G to outperform my Integra's 16" wheels and Khumo's.
Cause it's a damn rear wheel drive?!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
to my knowledge there are sensors that detect wheel spin... when it does, throttle is cut briefly and brake is applied to the spinning wheel... if you need detailed technical explanation someone else would need to answer.
Close. The sensors detect difference in wheel speed between the wheels and adjust with individual braking and/or engine cut off as required.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
stock G will NEVER oversteer unless u stomp the throttle in the middle of the turn. It has nasty understeer for people that want to be "safe" at the limit and collect the wall instead of trying to correct the car.

As far as VDC goes it is too "safe" for my taste it kickes waaayyy too early. Car handles atleast 2 times better with it off, especially on low speed turns.

ORIGINAL poster ur question was answered on post #8.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
ORIGINAL poster ur question was answered on post #8.
Yes, but this one is better, and what I wanted to know.
Originally Posted by RBull
It works based on speed differences between the wheels and yaw control that senses steering wheel angle. It will actually operate each brake independently as required and not just the front brakes.

It should not operate the way you are describing unless you are encouraging wheel spin or have changed wheel/tire size to disrupt the front to rear OE balance and size ratio and/or your alignment or sensor calbration is off significantly. The G should easily outhandle your Integra without engaging VDC. I have tracked my car several times and the system is actually quite unobtrusive when left on and coupled with the VLSD.

You might want to consider getting an alignment done and at the same time have the steering angle sensor recalibrated or just the recalibration. The calibration is a good possibility of your problem.

G/L
Thanks a bunch. All I can think of is that the turn was abrupt enough to trigger it at that speed. I'll have to experiment, and take it in to the dealer if that seems appropriate.

btw-stock 6mt wheels, tires, etc. all stock. new too, only 5 weeks old so I assume the alignment is still good, but will have it checked out as appropriate too.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 PM
do you guys usually drive wit your vdc off or on? is it bad to leave it off all the time? what about if youre breakin in your car and you turn it off? is that reccomended?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by sliq
do you guys usually drive wit your vdc off or on? is it bad to leave it off all the time? what about if youre breakin in your car and you turn it off? is that reccomended?
It's not going to hurt anything either way... except maybe your tires if you constantly drive it like you stole it... or you, if you get in a wreck.... you know, that sort of thing.

if you're going to drive like an idiot, at least turn off the vdc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does VDC actually work