The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Newbie 6mt shift question, 1st to 2nd WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie 6mt shift question, 1st to 2nd WOT

Before you read on, yes i've searched and read the "driving the 6mt" posts and other 1st to 2nd shift post, but i'm looking at wide open throttle shifting, not the daily drive.

I'm about 2 weeks old on the 6mt and starting to get a pretty good grip for the everyday driving. The starts can be rough sometimes, esp in 2nd. And a purely smooth 1st to 2nd non-WOT shift is becoming very very frequent, but still an art and not a science.

However, whenever i rip through 1st and am shifting to second, my rpm's seem to float and i end up shifting "too quick" for the needle to drop into where 2nd gear is waiting for the catch (about 4k or so? can't remember exactly). I know i'm not so fast that i'm simply beating the machine, not possible - so what am i doing wrong? Am i on the throttle too long? I usually keep it to the floor right up until about 6800 (its an 05, btw) and then back off, disengage clutch, shift, engage clutch while getting ready on the throttle.

I've only tried it twice because both times i did it, the needle would be at the 5k'ish rev area when i engaged the clutch and it would immediately bog it down to about 4k, squeal the rear tires, and then lunge forward and accelerate like a bat out of hell (oh, how i love this things power, even stock). So i didn't want to abuse it anymore before seeking professional (g35driver.com ) help. I had VCD on both times if that makes any difference.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks guys! (and girls!)

Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh come on, you cant have any fun with VDC on take off VDC and you'll see how much more fun it can be.

oh, i dont know if your concerned with the tires squealing when you shift into 2nd, thats normal...heck, it even chirps/scratches 3rd.

other than that, the link Klubb posted should be good enough.(notice my newbie posts)

Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 PM
From what you're describing, it sounds like VDC is kicking in and stopping your wheel spin, hence the "bogging" effect and the RPM drop. Try it again with VDC off (in a straight line though, if you're unfamiliar with how to handle the car), and you should notice that it doesn't bog down anymore.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Haha, woops, didn't read through it far enough the first time (stopped at page 3, good part starts on page 4).

So i guess it's not going to be a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd during all out acceleration? Just doesn't exist?

And i'm not concerned with the tires squeeling per se, i was more concerned with the quick squeel, then the traction grab and following *****-to-the-wall acceleration. I figured it may be the VDC trying to stop the natural 2nd gear scratch but wasn't sure... seems like that is likely the case. Looks like i'll have to test the theory tomorrow

Thanks for the newbie reminder to read all the way through the posts klubb

Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by kvangil
From what you're describing, it sounds like VDC is kicking in and stopping your wheel spin, hence the "bogging" effect and the RPM drop. Try it again with VDC off (in a straight line though, if you're unfamiliar with how to handle the car), and you should notice that it doesn't bog down anymore.

Haha, thats creepily coincidental. I was typing my reply as you posted this. Gotta say, i like the way you think
Thanks for the affirmation, its good to hear it from more experienced drivers.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by GForANewMechE
Haha, thats creepily coincidental. I was typing my reply as you posted this. Gotta say, i like the way you think
Thanks for the affirmation, its good to hear it from more experienced drivers.
No problem. if there's one thing I don't like about my G35, it's that VDC can be intrusive sometimes when I wanna downshift and go WOT. Makes me wanna drive with it off all the time...But I am grateful when it stops me from doing a 360 in the rain...

Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by kvangil
No problem. if there's one thing I don't like about my G35, it's that VDC can be intrusive sometimes when I wanna downshift and go WOT. Makes me wanna drive with it off all the time...But I am grateful when it stops me from doing a 360 in the rain...
You nailed it. Gave it a run on the return from lunch today... no problems. Went straight through and begged for more. Although i couldn't hear much because on top of the engine/wind/music/exhaust i also had a passenger screaming "f*** me! i'm buying a sports car."
Don't worry though, i corrected them about the infini-g being more than a sports car...