The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

clunking noise when "drifting" with vdc off???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
if the vdc is off... u shouldn't get the slip light. my car's wheels will spin to it's heart's content with the vdc off and i'm on snow. i don't get any clunking noises until i hit my brakes and the abs kicks on. i have an 05 coupe. maybe it has been changed on the newer models.
I have an 05 coupe, and even with the VDC off I'll still get the slip light in extreme cases - like in the autocross. I think it really just depends on the situation.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an 03 sedan btw

Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by minh
ok we got a crapload of snow again today and i noticed its not from the rear, it comes from the engine bay, even if i floor it in a straight line with vdc off and no traction, the rear wheels would spin and then started to clunk from the engine bay with the slip light blinking

so its not from the rear, it comes from the engine bay....maybe its the vdc system? but how? why?
clunking from the front of the car on the G35s is usually associated with the compression rods (the curved lower suspension arms at the bottom of the front suspension).
This could be a pretty good culprit, we replace these fairly often here.

clunking noises from these arms occur randomly but usually the noise is heard under heavy cornering, and bumps etc.. basically any situation where the suspension is under excessive stress, ie launching the car and what not.

we have these plenty in stock as well, pm me if you'd like prices

Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
if the vdc is off... u shouldn't get the slip light. my car's wheels will spin to it's heart's content with the vdc off and i'm on snow. i don't get any clunking noises until i hit my brakes and the abs kicks on. i have an 05 coupe. maybe it has been changed on the newer models.
Exactly what the manual says. The manaul clearly states that the ABLS will STILL work even with the VDC off, and the slip light may blink.

Obviously, you slammed on the brakes, triggered ABS and activated(?) ABLS.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both the manual and hyukki are absolutly correct. just because the vdc is off doesnt mean you dont have all traction systems off.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i'd rather have the ablsd working than no traction aids of any kind, i also have an '03 sedan, and since i got the rear links replaced i can't drive with the vdc on anymore, the car is just so controllable, but ablsd is a godsend for getting moving in snow, peg legs are just not as much fun...

though i have to admit i'ven't noticed any clunking while sliding mildly. i did, however, set it into a spin in an empty parking lot to see how it would handle. Even with the vdc off it corrected once i made it go into a severe wipe-out type situation, and it clunked as the brakes kicked in, but was somewhat hard to tell, since you're also getting kicked by the brakes suddenly having traction. if you're in an "uncontrolled" slide/spin, you'll probably notice the clunk, normal sliding / drifting, less likely.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by waytoocool89
Both the manual and hyukki are absolutly correct. just because the vdc is off doesnt mean you dont have all traction systems off.
Actually reading the manaul ftw.