The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

VDC rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
VDC cutting in does nothing but kill ur accelaration no matter what the cirumstances are. U rather have wheelsping than an engine bog during acceleration.
Yes, but I think he was referring to not chirping at all. Wide sticky tires FTMFW! I only chirp half as much as a used to with the oem bridgestones

Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
The is the first traction controled car I have ever owned and I don't like it unless it's raining. My first car was a '70 GS455 in high school and my 2nd was a '71 455 GTO so I know about power. IMO, the VDC is a pain in the *** although I rarely push my G.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL the g35 is definitely not rear end happy...does not kick out easily at all. I wish it did. What's the big deal, just turn it off if you don't want it.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
6mt G35s stick the tail out quite easily if you are on-throttle. If you are cornering off-throttle then you entered the corner too fast. In my experience the car will understeer off-throttle and vary from neutral to heavy oversteer on-throttle.

Slow in, fast out.

I know nothing about how the 5AT would behave in the same situation so I only speak about the 6mts. Mine was definitely tail-happy on-throttle in lower gears.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
there's been times i've been glad it was off, times i was glad it was on, and a time when i wish i had turned it back on.
around town in the snow i almost always have it off, and being able to rotate the car has saved it from people trying to drive into me on a few occasions. on the otherhand, i've hit drift covered ice on the highway and have been glad that the vdc was there to HELP correct it.
even now on dry roads i tend to leave it on, loose grit and gravel on the road can be plenty slippery.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If any of you are located in so-cal, I'd be more than happy to demonstrate that VDC is worth its weight in gold for 99% of drivers.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I am in socal. If u ever drive down to valley on a weekend let me know by PM. I will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
The VDC is not a performance feature; it is for safety and prevention.

I'll give you a simple demonstration. Find an empty road, and use cones (or something else) to mark off a braking spot. Speed up to 65mph (less than typical highway speed), slam on the brakes and change lanes at the same time. Mark where you stop; be sure that you actually changed a whole lane over, and are pointed (relatively) straight forward. Now repeat that maneuver with the VDC off.

Second demonstration. Find a nice empty parking lot. Using guides, find a place where you can go in a controlled circle. At any time, feel free to accelerate up to the limit of the car. Now repeat with the VDC off. Unless youre a VERY skilled driver, the VDC on circle will maintain a faster speed. Now repeat the previous demonstration with braking, except this time, do it while driving in a circle. With VDC on, you'll stay somewhat in your path, and be able to maneuver. With VDC off, you'll just understeer straight off.

The primary purposes of VDC are to eliminate traction loss, keep the rear end tucked in, and prevent catastrophic understeer.

For further proof, sign up for a driving course at EVOC. They have a more controlled environment that can demonstrate the use of VDC, and why it saves lives.

Yes, for maximum performance, you want it off in a G.

Last edited by mIKE; 04-09-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti

I'll give you a simple demonstration. Find an empty road, and use cones (or something else) to mark off a braking spot. Speed up to 65mph (less than typical highway speed), slam on the brakes and change lanes at the same time. Mark where you stop; be sure that you actually changed a whole lane over, and are pointed (relatively) straight forward. Now repeat that maneuver with the VDC off.

Second demonstration. Find a nice empty parking lot. Using guides, find a place where you can go in a controlled circle. At any time, feel free to accelerate up to the limit of the car. Now repeat with the VDC off. Unless youre a VERY skilled driver, the VDC on circle will maintain a faster speed. Now repeat the previous demonstration with braking, except this time, do it while driving in a circle. With VDC on, you'll stay somewhat in your path, and be able to maneuver. With VDC off, you'll just understeer straight off.

The primary purposes of VDC are to eliminate traction loss, keep the rear end tucked in, and prevent catastrophic understeer.

For further proof, sign up for a driving course at EVOC. They have a more controlled environment that can demonstrate the use of VDC, and why it saves lives.

I understand what u are saying. I have been as a passenger in a c6 Vette at the track and the "competitive mode" in the vette is very helpful and does not interfere unless u are out of control. However that is not the case with out cars. I would not consider myself a "very skilled driver" because i haven't had enough track time to be considered one. But me understanding basic dynamics of this particular car i can guarantee u VDC off u can get around corners faster as u mentioned. The primary purpose of VDC is to have false sense of security with drivers that do not understand basic dynamics of the car.

Bottom line is that, on daily driving VDC light should never come on and whoever relies on VDC has a greater chance of biting the dust.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Bottom line is that, on daily driving VDC light should never come on and whoever relies on VDC has a greater chance of biting the dust.
+1

On a side note the VDC seems to work best with a stock car; I've driven trade-ins with aftermarket rims/tires and that alone seems to throw it off already depending on what it is.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Got my KP Technologies vdc module yesterday. Installed it this morning per the instructions and pics on their website. It doesn't work.

Checked all the connections, solid solder, 12v checked with a meter all the way to that module. Zip, nada, zilch, rien, no bueno. VDC still defaults on whenever the car is started. grrr.

I sent them an email. Hopefully they will have a solution for why it is not working

Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I turn off the VDC after I turn on the engine. I can't stand it and I can relate to your frustration, when you forget and try to have some fun. It's a party poooper.

On the other side, if my wife or someone other than myself were to drive the car, I feel better knowing that it is active on default...

Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti

I just wanted to quote this again, but with the most important part bolded. Some people have mistakenly highlighted the last sentence thinking the most important, those people are wrong.

Unless you've taken some serious competitive driving classes and done a significant amount of racing, then the nut behind the wheel is, by far, the slowest part of a G.

And by significant amount of racing, I mean hundreds of hours on road course tracks, with data loggers and time spent analyzing your line. I don't mean hundreds of hours spent demonstrating that Civics are slow.

Or at a minimum, a few years in auto-x.

Last edited by yggdrasil; 04-24-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Add one more line to the "Famous Last Words of a Redneck"

1. "Hey ya'll watch this!"

2. "Here, hold my beer"

+1 threads like this are usually followed by "Had VDC off and spun out into a ditch when it was raining"

I like to keep my VDC on, even with the turbo. The car has too much power and under hard acceleration with VDC off will whip the back out so bad that its almost impossiable to correct.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TURBOTOM
+1 threads like this are usually followed by "Had VDC off and spun out into a ditch when it was raining"

I like to keep my VDC on, even with the turbo. The car has too much power and under hard acceleration with VDC off will whip the back out so bad that its almost impossiable to correct.
You're the second in this thread to post that they like to keep vdc on all the time and coincidentally both of you have AT's. Actually I don't think it is a coincidence at all. I think the vdc experiance on an MT is very different from the experiance on an AT.

Or maybe it's just that MT people are control freaks and don't want the car to do anything on it's own.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC rant