The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

VDC rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what the MT VDC is like, that's true. That said, the whole thing reminds me very much of the Porsche forums, where people consistently want to turn off PSM.

That said, on track days, almost everybody drives faster with PSM than on PSM-disabled cars the exceptions consisting almost entirely of people who spend enough time on the track to own track-only cars.

But even ignoring that fact, going from a good street driver to an educated track driver will give you 15 seconds off a two minute lap. Spending a huge amount of time analyzing lines will get you another 10 seconds off. And PSM will get you maybe a second on a lap. I'm guessing VDC is about the same. If it's really painful, maybe it'll get you 2 or 3.

I think my main point is, if you want to go faster, sign up for some classes and some track time.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
You're the second in this thread to post that they like to keep vdc on all the time and coincidentally both of you have AT's. Actually I don't think it is a coincidence at all. I think the vdc experiance on an MT is very different from the experiance on an AT.

Or maybe it's just that MT people are control freaks and don't want the car to do anything on it's own.
The VDC itself is identical AFAIK. It's just *much* easier to trigger with something as simple as a hard shift. Anything more than a slight slight chirp will set it off and you lose power; this isn't really possible in a AT unless you have a built tranny.

Originally Posted by yggdrasil
Or at a minimum, a few years in auto-x.
Regarding this, my personal belief is that the VDC allows me to approach the limits of my G safely.

My goal, generally, is to push the car as far as I can, WITHOUT setting off the VDC. By driving with this mentality, I've learned the limits of the car, without actually going past it. You can't set off the VDC unless youre on either of the pedals; VDC requires input on either pedal to set off.

I won't drive with the VDC off unless I'm in a controlled environment where I can't hurt myself or anyone else.

Last edited by mIKE; 04-25-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
The VDC itself is identical AFAIK. It's just *much* easier to trigger with something as simple as a hard shift. Anything more than a slight slight chirp will set it off and you lose power; this isn't really possible in a AT unless you have a built tranny.
That makes sense since the AT does rev-matching, so even DS mode is pretty much idiot proof. With an MT, you always have the option to dump the clutch and hear squealy sounds. Pointless, but fun.

I won't drive with the VDC off unless I'm in a controlled environment where I can't hurt myself or anyone else.
Amen, save it for the track. Besides, the G is great fun to drive at safe speeds, VDC on, down any twisty little roads.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
You're the second in this thread to post that they like to keep vdc on all the time and coincidentally both of you have AT's. Actually I don't think it is a coincidence at all. I think the vdc experiance on an MT is very different from the experiance on an AT.

Or maybe it's just that MT people are control freaks and don't want the car to do anything on it's own.
I have an MT and I have driven in 3 Raging Bull runs so far. I can count the number of times I have driven with OUT the VDC on one hand and I'll have fingers left over. The only thing I don't like about it is how it cuts power when you shift hard, otherwise, I like the safety aspect of it.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texasscout
The only thing I don't like about it is how it cuts power when you shift hard
And therein lies the problem... not exactly a minor annoyance

Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM
i find the only time the vdc really interferes is in the winter, though at other times i'm glad it's there.

my main complaint is that you can't turn it off while it's engaged, for example, hit deep slush on the highway, and the vdc cuts power and brings you almost to a stop, while the traffic behind you honks annoyedly. usualy you apply gentle throttle to maintain momentum so as to get through it, rather than stop and get stuck.

i'd like a momentary "bypass" switch, in the dead pedal or something, to just kill it in moments where you need to spin the tires, such as swinging the back end of the car away from some idiot trying to drive into it.

on dry roads i leave it on, rarely does the slip light ever come on, and when it does, it's usually a good thing, (patch of gravel or dirt on the road in a corner, for example).

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Saved my *** today when I was rounding a sharp corner a little too fast on wet roads.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokey6
Saved my *** today when I was rounding a sharp corner a little too fast on wet roads.
Well that is what it is for and I swear the next time I see a wet road i will turn it on. Should be around October. Meantime, it stays off

Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The cool thing about the KPtechnologies module is that it doesn't just shut VDC off everytime you start the car, it only shuts VDC off if VDC was off the last time the car was shut off. It basically eliminates the "auto reset" of the system.

So, if you have it off, and it rains, you can turn it back on and it will stay on until YOU turn it back off again. Once it's off again, it will stay off until YOU turn it back on again, no matter how many times you restart the car.

EncoreCestMoi, if I'm not mistaken we got your module back late last week and you should have the repaired module by this weekend. If I have you mistaken with someone else please shoot me a PM so we can get your module working.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
The cool thing about the KPtechnologies module is that it doesn't just shut VDC off everytime you start the car, it only shuts VDC off if VDC was off the last time the car was shut off. It basically eliminates the "auto reset" of the system.

So, if you have it off, and it rains, you can turn it back on and it will stay on until YOU turn it back off again. Once it's off again, it will stay off until YOU turn it back on again, no matter how many times you restart the car.

EncoreCestMoi, if I'm not mistaken we got your module back late last week and you should have the repaired module by this weekend. If I have you mistaken with someone else please shoot me a PM so we can get your module working.
No mistake that's me. Looking forward to getting it back.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned
The traction control on some cars if far more intrusive, on the 04 GTO's the gas pedal will physically kick back when the T/C kicks in.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Question VDC Need pedal input to work?

My goal, generally, is to push the car as far as I can, WITHOUT setting off the VDC. By driving with this mentality, I've learned the limits of the car, without actually going past it. You can't set off the VDC unless youre on either of the pedals; VDC requires input on either pedal to set off.
Is that right? So If I am cruising in a corner, in gear with no throttle input, and I hit some sand or whatever, and oversteer the VDC will not take action?

That is odd.

Me, I leave it on all the time unless I want to demonstrate that Civis are slow. And after the shift into second, VDC is back on...

Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdwaters
Is that right? So If I am cruising in a corner, in gear with no throttle input, and I hit some sand or whatever, and oversteer the VDC will not take action?

That is odd.

Me, I leave it on all the time unless I want to demonstrate that Civis are slow. And after the shift into second, VDC is back on...
something the pro's noticed before they were demonstrating the cars to us...

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
VDC is always on for me!!! Saved my azz more times then it has kickd it!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
something the pro's noticed before they were demonstrating the cars to us...
This system is NOT like a Merc's. You have to give it some pressure before it can act.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC rant