The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Help me convince my parents to buy a G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by express705
man let me tell you something. you got a LONG WAY to prove to YOURSELF that you are responsible.
I'm 20 years old an its hard to keep up with my payments. I needed two jobs to pay off my ride. Right now I hour about 65 hours a week or more if i get lucky.

Last edited by BootzG35TT; 06-06-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mt7rabbit
Where did you find and 05 coupe with 26,000 miles for only 20K? Did I read that correctly, it seems very cheap!

The real question is weather you can afford the car...have you thought about all the expenses in your everyday life?

I'm guessing the corolla is going to be worth 13,000 trade in so that leaves you with 7,000 to pay on your own. 7,000 is not that much money for a teenager to pay for on their own, specially if they have 4 years to pay for it. thats only about $150 a month...very cheap!

Now you have to factor in the cost of gas depending on how much you are going to drive it. We'll say $100 every 15 days, so $200 a month for gas.

then you have to add in insurance, I have no idea how much that is now days but we'll estimate $250 a month since you are going to want full coverage.

You also have to put in some money for mods, I highly dough you are going to keep it stock all the time. We'll estimate $100 a month average for that.

Aside from all of this you still need money for random entertainment like going out on the weekends, or taking a date to the movies. You don't want to be the guy who never has money to go out with his friends. Realistically a real simple date now days will run you about $80 dollars. (dinner = $40; movies + popcorn + drinks = $38) Multiply this by 3 or 4 times a month thats $240 to $320 a month. We are going to estimate a happy medium of $280 a month.

Plus you are going to need miscellaneous money, this is for when you feel the sudden urge to buy something simple like a coke, or a burger...1 burger a week for example is $7. times 4 weeks is $28. So factor in $30 dollars for miscellaneous stuff.

Now add all this up.

150 + 200 + 250 + 100 + 280 + 30 = $1010 a month.
this is not counting any other bill you may already have.

Now lets look at a realistic scenario of how much you will have to work to make this happen.

I have no idea how much you will earn at your job, could be $15 an hour or $7 an hour. We will say $9 an hour just to pick a good medium.

so lets say you bust your a$$ and work a full week + go to school. Thats 40 hours of work a week. That gives you $360 dollars that you earned. Times 4 weeks thats $1440. Now you have to take away the taxes. Multiply your earnings by 22% thats how much you can expect to loose after taxes and benefits for this tax bracket. Thats $316.80 in taxes a month that you will pay, minus the original $1440 leaves you with $1123.20 a month.

So you have: $1123 - $1010 = $113

After it's all said and done you will have $113 dollars left a month in this perfect scenario, just don't forget that there is always expenses that are unforeseen like other people's birthdays, Christmas, flat tires, etc...etc...
Not to mention if you are sick for just two days a month you will already be $30 behind on your budget.

You should always over estimate to cover for any unexpected expenses. Maybe you should sit down and figure out if you can really afford all your expenses, ask your dad for his help. If you are confident that all this can be achievable then by all means go ahead and do it, however if this seems too much then maybe you should take a step back and wait a few years before taking the plunge.

good luck
Ha wow, I apperciate all the math, it puts it in perspective. movies + popcorn + drinks = $38 LOL that seems over priced, but I know it's true haha.

However, I do get paid some gas money since I run my sister around, and my insurance is currently being paid for. I don't spend as much money as you said, but I certianly do. As far as my pay, I just started a new job and I have made $19 an hour on a 5 hour shift Idk we'll see how this goes. If I get one or not I'll let you guys know. I'm off to work for 9 hours, I'll check back later with you guys.

I apperciate all of the help!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
^I know my estimates for you were somewhat off, but this is what you need to do for yourself. Simply lay all your options down on the table and figure out if what you want is possible or not.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know what it cost to fill your corolla up with gas but i filled my G up on the way to work and it cost me $70.00.

Think gas gas gas!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Save that money for college. I think your dad has the correct argument. After your done with college, you'll be happy your student loan payment is at least $7000 cheaper. Interest is a bitch.

Also, what happens when you finally get caught drinking and your parents stop paying your insurance? That's not a trivial amount of change you're gonna have to come with.

Bottom line, stick with the corolla, and lay off the bottle, you aren't even in college! :P

Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
What's a dp? My parents would also be paying my auto insurance, or at least half. I will also be letting my sister use this car while I'm in college, but I feel ya on the work, I'm working 11-8 today it's money though.
dp=down payment.

I am in the same situation as you. I am 17 and am picking up a G soon, learning a bit on manual for the time being. I have no problem with you getting a G. But come on now, you were given a new 08 car, you can't settle for that? If someone gave me a decent car like that I would keep it in a heartbeat, no question about it.

If you say you will be paying $7,000 over ~3 years, I take it as you do not have $7,000 in the bank. Seeing that right there tells me that a G may not be the car for you. Although i can not judge you because i do not know about everything you have. But if you want, PM me with everything and maybe I can help you out a bit more.

If you make ~$1,000/month this is what you would have to pay for your car:
$270 insurance
$350 gas
$195 car payment

All you would have left is ~$185. That is not to good. What about new brakes? Or a flat tire? Most importantly, savings? Can't forget the mods either.

So I would suggest you keep the 08 car. The only way I would say get a G is if you pay the $7,000 upfront for the car and have more than $7,000 in savings.

Infiniti parts are way more exoensive than toyota, trust me. Also have you thought about labor? That right there will kill you. Even if you do the work yourself, it takes up time. But remember, time is money.

Incase you didn't know, tires will run you about $1000. You may even want a different set for summer and winter, so double that figure. Brakes are expensive too, a couple hundred dollars. So with brakes and tires alone, it will take you 14 months of pay(Not including taking out savings).

Oh yea, another tip is do not think you make $1000/month. Take out 10% which leaves you $900/month. You should always pay yourself 10% to save, than budget the rest of that money. In that budget should be additional savings also. And for the record i did the calculations on making $1000/month, not $900.

You may say well I am only 17 and do not know what I am talking about, or than why am I getting a G. But I will bet that most people will agree with me. I have been through alot in life and have learned many lessons. I have seen spoiled kids and kids who work their *** off. Responsibility is HUGE in life, but it does not pay the bills, money does. Trust me on that one, I found it out the hard way. Like I said, PM me and maybe I can help you some more.

-AGThing1227

Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Darkstar you should buy a RX7 or 300zx TT instead of G35. I'm just giving you options.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by BootzG35TT
Darkstar you should buy a RX7 or 300zx TT instead of G35. I'm just giving you options.
That wouldn't be a much better idea. Sure he could buy one for less but with older cars come different expenses, repairs, etc.

Stick with the Corrolla. If you're going to be commuting to college or living on campus you really don't want a nice car in those conditions. If you're commuting you will kill it with milage and living on campus, well, I've seen way too many nice cars destroyed before their prime by college life.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Dark, I had a scion tC with moded fenders, side skirts, rear bumper (more)- aftermarket..
I ended up killing my radiator - went aftermarket. ended up way cheaper.had to replace my interior trunk pieces when I was trading in the car, they were not expensive. Shocks were not too bad comparing to the Infiniti shocks.

I mean they are still pricey, but cheaper then the luxury(ish?) cars.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
At the end of the day, the decision is yours to see if you want to put that kind of a financial burden on your parents. You need to see if THEY can afford the G for you.

It isn't just about money either. The G is a pretty powerful car. People much older than you and who have had more experience driving have gotten into trouble with the car, with it being rear wheel drive and all. Your parents might be thinking of your safety as well. I am 27 years old and the car G is still a handful for me some sometimes.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
That wouldn't be a much better idea. Sure he could buy one for less but with older cars come different expenses, repairs, etc.

Stick with the Corrolla. If you're going to be commuting to college or living on campus you really don't want a nice car in those conditions. If you're commuting you will kill it with milage and living on campus, well, I've seen way too many nice cars destroyed before their prime by college life.
Good point, but it just depends how the owner take care of the car. Also you have to take the risk, but who knows.

Last edited by BootzG35TT; 06-06-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by khundkar
The G is a pretty powerful car. People much older than you and who have had more experience driving have gotten into trouble with the car, with it being rear wheel drive and all.
I totally agree since he will be upgrading from a corolla. I'm sure that if I would have had a g35C when I was a teenager I would have gotten into a lot of trouble!

Darkstar752, keep the corolla, it makes more financial sense, it's a lot easier on gas (prices will only rise), it's an 08 with FULL WARRANTY, insurance is cheaper, more practical and it's not a Cop magnet like the Coupe is.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Premier Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say it's already too late since yuor parents already got you a car.Just be happy with what you got and save your money so you could get a G later on in life.

Just look at it this way, you'll be saving money on the rising cost of gas and on the high insurance rates.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
wait wait, your parents buy you an 08 corolla and you don't like it? Ungrateful much? Just wow... wow wow wow

You drink a lot... That costs a lot of money. I know... I make close to $30 an hour full time and I had to give up booze for GAS recently. If I do the same calculation as someone did for you already then it would seem I only need about 1500/month, but looking at my statements its a good 1k more than what it should be every month, if I were just looking at basic bills. Random **** always comes up and you have no way of controlling it. Do a calculation of all your monthly expenses then double it - thats the amount of money you REALLY need to make to afford the G.

Last edited by One_Hertz; 06-06-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by express705
no problem. let us know when you need liver transplant donations.
Ill need one soon...

btw guys dont say he shouldnt have the car because he drinks... who didnt drink when they were young?

i worked since age 12 and bought my moms G for 15K and pay for insurance, tires and Gas and any repairs or mods for the car... also i have all A's in school except for one class...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me convince my parents to buy a G35