The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

AT check light after aggressive driving and transmission locks

Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT check light after aggressive driving and transmission locks

When i drive aggressively in my G35 coupe with high RPMs the AT check light comes on and the transmission locks in the 3rd or 4th gear. When i accelerate from zero- it stays in that gear. if i shut the car down and leave it for about an hour, then the light goes away and the car drives fine. but if i drive aggressively again, the whole process happens again.

Is this normal?
has anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Its certainly not normal.

Is this when in Drive or are you using the manual shift mode?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like you have tranny problems pal! If you beat the **** out of your car expect the unexpected.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:29 PM
this is in regular D driving not using the shift mode and also at that point the manual shift mode does not work until after rest when everything is back to normal.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Stop ******* your car, lol. Its not a race transmission. What is the year of your car and how many miles. Details are needed when you are interested in troubleshooting.

Last edited by wyldfyer; 08-22-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i had a similar problem once. it stayed in 3rd. i pulled over, restarted the car, and never had the problem since.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Its supposed to do that, says so in the manual...of my 04 sedan.
Says to reset turn of ignition for 3 seconds!!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
its an '04 coupe with a factory sports package with 37k miles. it takes about 2-3 hours before it resets.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by joshcloud9
Its supposed to do that, says so in the manual...of my 04 sedan.
Says to reset turn of ignition for 3 seconds!!!!
Huh? What do you mean its SUPPOSED to do that? Its supposed to throw an error and lock in gear? I find that ... well... impossible to believe. Could you give the quote from your manual (bought my car used and didn't get one).

In any case, I run autoX and have never had any issues with my trans. Although when I am racing, I use manual mode. The auto trans sucks when left to its own way of thinking.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Qbrozen
Huh? What do you mean its SUPPOSED to do that? Its supposed to throw an error and lock in gear? I find that ... well... impossible to believe. Could you give the quote from your manual (bought my car used and didn't get one).

In any case, I run autoX and have never had any issues with my trans. Although when I am racing, I use manual mode. The auto trans sucks when left to its own way of thinking.
what kind of racing? street? track?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Fail-Safe mode -- transmission

Here's what the service manual says about "Fail-Safe" mode (slightly different to the user manual):

Fail-Safe ACS005X0
The TCM has an electrical fail-safe mode. This mode makes it possible to operate even if there is a an error in
a main electronic control input/output signal circuit.
In fail-safe mode, even if the selector lever is “D” or “M” mode, the transmission is fixed in 2nd, 4th or 5th
(depending on the breakdown position), so the customer should feel “slipping” or “poor acceleration”. When
fail-safe mode is triggered, when the ignition switch is switched “ON”, the A/T CHECK indicator lamp flashes
for about 8 seconds. (Refer to AT-99, "TCM SELF-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE (NO TOOLS)" ).
Even when the electronic circuits are normal, under special conditions (for example, when slamming on the
brake with the wheels spinning drastically and stopping the tire rotation), the transmission can go into fail-safe
mode. If this happens, switch “OFF” the ignition switch for 10 seconds, then switch it “ON” again to return to
the normal shift pattern. Also, the A/T CHECK indicator lamp flashes for about 8 seconds once, then is
cleared. Therefore, the customer's

Old 08-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by joshcloud9
Here's what the service manual says about "Fail-Safe" mode (slightly different to the user manual):

Fail-Safe ACS005X0
The TCM has an electrical fail-safe mode. This mode makes it possible to operate even if there is a an error in
a main electronic control input/output signal circuit.
In fail-safe mode, even if the selector lever is “D” or “M” mode, the transmission is fixed in 2nd, 4th or 5th
(depending on the breakdown position), so the customer should feel “slipping” or “poor acceleration”. When
fail-safe mode is triggered, when the ignition switch is switched “ON”, the A/T CHECK indicator lamp flashes
for about 8 seconds. (Refer to AT-99, "TCM SELF-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE (NO TOOLS)" ).
Even when the electronic circuits are normal, under special conditions (for example, when slamming on the
brake with the wheels spinning drastically and stopping the tire rotation), the transmission can go into fail-safe
mode. If this happens, switch “OFF” the ignition switch for 10 seconds, then switch it “ON” again to return to
the normal shift pattern. Also, the A/T CHECK indicator lamp flashes for about 8 seconds once, then is
cleared. Therefore, the customer's
Well, sure, but there is an error.
I thought you were saying getting the error is normal and in the manual. He shouldn't be getting an error that puts the car in fail-safe mode. So something is wrong with the vehicle.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by wyldfyer
what kind of racing? street? track?
autoX.

Although I'm going here this weekend to run on the Lightning track with the SCCA. Should be fun!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Qbrozen
autoX.

Although I'm going here this weekend to run on the Lightning track with the SCCA. Should be fun!

Aww man. That sounds super fun. Might have to check it out next time im home.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
better get your tranny looked at before your warranty expires ( if you still have one )... i just had my tranny replaced last month with a new one for a total cost of $6500.. thank god i have extended warranty... my deductable? $100... tranny had a weird whinning noise when stepping on the gas... trans repair shop said it was a bearing going bad... brought in to infiniti and they replaced tranny... problem started when gear suddenly went to neutral while accelerating... and finally settled in 1st gear... nav advised to proceed to nearest dealership... pulled over on the freeway, turned off engine and after 5minutes, started the car and everything was fine... i knew something is about to break, sure enough after a week, whinning sound appeared.. have your tranny checked right away..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AT check light after aggressive driving and transmission locks