The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Thinking About Selling G35 Coupe for IS350... Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Thinking About Selling G35 Coupe for IS350... Advice Needed

I currently own a 2006 G35 coupe and I do absolutely love how this car looks. There aren't many cars that I have seen in my life that I love the way that I do the G35 coupe. I have just been thinking a lot about what I want from the car and I previously owned a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6MT which was pretty darn quick.

Now the G35 feels great through the powerband, and the handling would kill my Acura, lol. But for around the same price $24-25K I have seen a few IS350's go for about that price with around 50K miles. I currently owe around 22K on my car and it has 22K miles, so I'm sure I could break even especially if I waited a few months or so to sell.

I don't not like the G35 coupe I just feel like the IS350 is more rare, more unique, bolt-ons put it into high 12's (witnessed this at local track), etc.

My other option would be to supercharge the G35... which I know is tempted, but also high-maintenance and expensive to maintain.

Advice needed!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
be prepared to sacrifice handling. im not gona lie, the is350 is quick but every review ive ever read looks down upon its handling and steering feel, 2 places where the G shines.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah I agree completely and in all honesty when I see them driving side by side I think of the G35 coupe as the Japanese version of the M3 just the big wheels great stock exhaust sound, etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
is350 is a pretty car....when i test drove it, i felt so disconnected from the road..felt old and well, really old...the G? i feel more connected to the road then when i test drove a 330ci...

prior to purchasing the G, i had my heart set on 330ci, no ifs, buts, or ands...one day i decided to try the G while waiting for the used car dealer to get the 330ci from the warehouse...the rest was history...told him just make a nice u turn and take it back to where it came from

Old 12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
The main difference to me is the IS350 has no guts.

Its like driving a BMW 325.. when you step on the gas you don't get the feeling you get from a G35.

Test drive them side by side, you'll probably forget about the IS350.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The IS350 is a fast car, and will give most of us a run for our money on a straight. However, like others have mentioned, you'll sacrifice straight line speed for some handling.

Personally, I enjoy cornering a LOT more than I do going fast down a 1/4 mile. What you do gain by having the Lexus is better fit-and-finish, sound system, and no more creaks. Having said that, I would still keep the G. Besides, if you did get the IS350, you'll have to give up your clutch for some paddles on the side of your steering.

Not to mention that even if you were to break even on getting rid of the G, you would still end up paying more money for the IS350. I'm sure you could work out a way to make your monthly payments be similar, but you still are paying extra money to get a used IS with a few more miles on it. Doesn't make any financial sense to me.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Figure tag, tax, and title into the equation and you might change your mind.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking

i don't think IS350's handling is as bad as people make it to be.. Unless you attend track meets often. From day to day aggressive driving, i doubt you'll notice the dramatic difference (if any).
I drove around it for few weeks and always get it as a loaner when I drop off the family cars. It will run laps around the G on a straight line, and it has the "LEXUS" reliability. Your G35 being so "new".. I would keep it, unless you absolutely hate it, because once you get the IS350, u probably wanna upgrade to the M3 the following week.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
yup +1, save for something nicer down the road.

perhaps an M3

Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Lexus IS's are like dime a dozen around here. And if you want to know what the steering feels like, go put on bald tires and drive around in a rain soaked parking lot with VDC off.

But whatever floats your boat man, it's power vs. handling and steering. There's actually a guy on here who has both an IS350 and a G35, you can ask him which he likes better. He posted a photoshoot about a month ago, I'll try and find it.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm with the others, pass on the Toyota, pay off your car and pick up something very fun in the future, or even get a second toy car. The Lexus is a boring car and it's got the whole Toyota sensory deprivation chamber thing going; there's no noise, no vibration no steering feel, all of which a fast/fun car needs .

I was in this same situation, lots of my buddies were getting new cars, so I caught the new car itch, but I like my G so much that I couldn't get rid of it, and my G is a lot older than yours. I kept the G and found a good deal on one of the most fun cars out there.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I looked at both the IS350 and the IS250 before I bought my G. I was so set on getting an IS that I almost didn't look at the G, but boy I am glad I did. I love my G b.c like someone else mentioned, you can feel the road and it isn't an isolation chamber. My friend is a quality control engineer at Toyota and even he told me to get the G, now what does that tell you there.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM
The only way I would rock an IS over a G35 is if it was the ISF.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by jfisher
The only way I would rock an IS over a G35 is if it was the ISF.
Some GREAT points guys.

Staying with the G35 coupe! To make myself feel better about my G I made an appointment for December 16th to get my roof painted black, lol.

And yeah the IS350 is a nice car but you do feel disconnected from the road and I don't like the idea of having a sedan, at this point in my life. I'm just going to supercharge the G and call it a day hopefully this spring.

And a guy I work with made the great point that as soon as I have an IS350 I'll get bored because it's auto and want to trade or sell for a BMW.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M.J.H.
Some GREAT points guys.

Staying with the G35 coupe! To make myself feel better about my G I made an appointment for December 16th to get my roof painted black, lol.

And yeah the IS350 is a nice car but you do feel disconnected from the road and I don't like the idea of having a sedan, at this point in my life. I'm just going to supercharge the G and call it a day hopefully this spring.

great choice! lol.

SEE, All u needed was a mod and u get sucked back in loving ur G. LOL.
when i went to pick my friends is250, drove to get it 2hrs..rode back in it..feels nice..but was missing something. its floaty n quiet.too quiet...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Selling G35 Coupe for IS350... Advice Needed